Burnt-out By Low Margin Profit & Customers - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-18-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 63%
Default Burnt-out By Low Margin Profit & Customers

Hello,

Recently, I'm finding myself extremely burnt out by eBay. Profit margins are extremely low. On top of that, the headache from customers, ebay and negative feedback has really taken a toll on me. This month, sales has been great so far, however after doing the calculations, the profit margins aren't so great for the hours I'm putting into it. I currently sell around 1000 items a month give or take 100-200 at an average net profit of $3 out the door. Given the instability of eBay, I have switched my selling from my own physical inventory to drop shipment. The profit has slid to around $2 area, but I'm still selling consistently which I appreciate.

The problem I'm facing is all these naggers on eBay who are trying to take advantage of the system and are being allowed to do so with eBay. It's really taken a big toll on me. Anyone else in the same area. I'm thinking of stopping what I sell, and finding a more profit oriented product, but as result losing the consistent sale and just waiting for when it's worth selling the product.
The Following User Says Thank You to 100HRWEEK For This Useful Post:
danshan (05-19-2013)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

EVERYONE is in the same boat, I sell almost 3 TIMES what I sold 2 Short years ago and I make LESS Money, Ebay has created a system where MANY Lowlife buyers use to take advantage of Sellers,,,it is all part of the game,,you just need to decide if you want to play or not
jeffweico (05-19-2013), madmuppet303 (05-20-2013), stanislav (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013

Longevity: 90%

Well said, both of you.
Old 05-18-2013
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 71%
Longevity: 91%

Sell less like me and you'll get less customers.

Less customers = Less leechers = less headache.
Old 05-18-2013
Threadstarter  

That's what I've been finding my self doing lately. I just keep deleting ads.
Old 05-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Just to add, since January the Postal service adopted new rules, which includes No More "Acceptance" Scans so now all you do is simply drop off the Packages, as opposed to getting them scanned when you drop them off, allowing them show up on the Track-n-Confirm Website, Now you are at the mercy of the Automated scanning system at the sorting centers to scan them,,,

Because of this MANY Packages get delivered without ever getting scanned, this has opened the "Floodgates" for scammers, Now if a purchase never gets scanned, MANY Buyers Claim "Item Not Recieved" even if they get the item, and there is NOTHING that you can do about it,,I have gotten a LOT of these cases this year
newjerseymax (05-19-2013), stanislav (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013

Longevity: 80%

I agree with slapped on this one. Even customer returns are not getting scanned as delivered. Which the customer was honest enough to return it at their cost so i would dare but usps is getting really sloppy and its getting really annoying fast.

Looking to go elsewhere but nothing compares speed vs cost wise
Old 05-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts

The marketplace is changing. I agree with Slapped - I have had similar results on eBay. Unfortunately, we are competing with college students who are happy if they can earn some beer money off eBay.... or at least that is what it feels like. I'm just happy that I have built up my website and have regular customers.
Old 05-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

It has been changing since about 2008. It stopped being like a big garage sale and started being eBay on Steroids. Once they took away the ability of sellers to leave negatives for buyers and raised the FVFs from like 4-5% to 10%+. eBay lost is Nostalgia for most people back then. But hate it or love it, it is still the best option for selling most goods on the internet for the small seller.
Old 05-19-2013

Longevity: 65%

Ebay is like a flea market. The Chinese have killed us. Sort of biting the hand that feeds. They used to make you buy in bulk. Now they go direct to the consumer with one item. The knockoffs that you can profit on you cant list. Vero will suspend you. A new item, youyou have a short window. You use to be able to sell a new item for months and make a decent profit. Even with all the fees, it was hard to make it. Your comments are so true. You cant lower profit margin and increase volume to make it work. China has ruined us in many ways. They shouldnt be allowed to do this. Let them sell on ebay china. They own us. Now they have screwed us and themselves in the process.
Old 05-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Looking at my historical figures I found the Summer months for my product is at its low. Almost not worth selling. However I found that also my costs to suppliers are at minimum in summer months. Especially May. I am stocking up now at lower prices for the season and basically maintaining and gaining ebay trust on various accounts. Thus, when season comes around I will (hopefully) benefit from the planning.

Good luck and try to look at your long term plan and goals.
GreenBean (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013
Threadstarter  

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's been very frustrating. I used to love eBay and be logged in 24/7. Now I barely want to log in. I also hate having inventory on hand. Given eBay can close down any account, having heavy inventory on hand can be devastating when you can no longer sell them.
Old 05-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Spread your sales and this will no longer be an issue...
Old 05-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Ebay is like a flea market. The Chinese have killed us. Sort of biting the hand that feeds. They used to make you buy in bulk. Now they go direct to the consumer with one item. The knockoffs that you can profit on you cant list. Vero will suspend you. A new item, youyou have a short window. You use to be able to sell a new item for months and make a decent profit. Even with all the fees, it was hard to make it. Your comments are so true. You cant lower profit margin and increase volume to make it work. China has ruined us in many ways. They shouldnt be allowed to do this. Let them sell on ebay china. They own us. Now they have screwed us and themselves in the process.
Open your mind. Think outside the box. Not EVERYTHING is made in China, nor do Chinese sellers carry every item made in China. Find something else to sell. Easier said than done, I know, but if you put in the time and do your research, you WILL most likely find something. Do this a few times and you have a nice little business going.

Some people shop local flea markets and store sales for items to sell. Others import from not only China, but India and other countries as well. Some just have a few niche products that work well for them.

You are never going to be the low-price leader selling Ipads and Ipods.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
bronwyn (09-04-2014), FizzyFish (05-22-2013), Sandy D (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

I have never made as much money as I am today selling on ebay.

Things are changing and yes we get a lot more crappy buyers every day but the profits are higher for my niche then ever before.

Because many buyers of my type of products who buy to re sell stopped selling and retired because of their age and not many new younger ones come into it with any knowledge.

I also purchase new items such as closeouts, shelf pulls etc and also attend trade shows for other items I sell.

Whatever you are selling get out of that area and look for a different product and sources.

I buy tons of stuff on ebay to re sell on ebay all the time.

I also buy massive amounts at local antique auctions, online auctions, yard sales etc so the items are out there to be had.
Old 05-19-2013
Banned

Question---

Apologies if I am incorrect.

Did you not post in an earlier thread that you only use dropshipping now?

If so, there is little to no profit in dropshipping but a ton of competition.

You have to find a niche with less competition than dropshipping items.

Last edited by Sandy D; 05-19-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2013

Longevity: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
Unfortunately, we are competing with college students who are happy if they can earn some beer money off eBay.... or at least that is what it feels like. I'm just happy that I have built up my website and have regular customers.
then run over them, this is part time for them... its full time for you, make them feel the pain to the point where they quit.
Old 05-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

How? By losing money on every sale? Not worth it. Even if you knock one out, there are three more that will pop up.

However, it is obviously still worthwhile for me to sell on eBay. If it were not, I wouldn't be doing it.
Old 05-19-2013

Longevity: 73%

you can't just swam them? you list 1 i'll list 20 ?
Old 05-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_monkey View Post
you can't just swam them? you list 1 i'll list 20 ?

Where did you learn that Strategy?,,,From the Captain Kangaroo School of Business?

There are only So Many Pieces of a Particular item that the market can absorb alowing you to make a profit within a particular time frame,,it is that simple

So if you normally list 1 an Hour and Get $20.00, allowing you to make a Profit, if you list 20 an Hour BELIEVE me you will NOT get $20.00 each, and you will NOT make a profit,
jeffweico (05-19-2013), Sandy D (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013

Longevity: 68%

Any business that is not exhausting that makes good money, then you simply got lucky.
Old 05-20-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapped View Post
Where did you learn that Strategy?,,,From the Captain Kangaroo School of Business?

There are only So Many Pieces of a Particular item that the market can absorb alowing you to make a profit within a particular time frame,,it is that simple

So if you normally list 1 an Hour and Get $20.00, allowing you to make a Profit, if you list 20 an Hour BELIEVE me you will NOT get $20.00 each, and you will NOT make a profit,
I agree.

If you list 20 they have the means to list 100.

That strategy wont work.

With all the sellers being allowed to list multiples over and over and never getting removed a small steather cannot compete with those big boys who can list 1000s of items and make pennies on the dollar.

I do a mix of items so I never get stuck with one area of selling. A variety of items, categories, prices etc keeps the cash flow moving and profits climbing.

Put your eggs in one basket ( Electronics comes to mind ) and it wont be long you will have lost your butt and out of business.

LOL

Looked at a product for re sale on a wholesale website last week. Price was awesome, kinda heavy item but would go into a flat rate bag easy.

Found the cheapest price seller. He is making after fees 2.50 at the most.
Looked over, I see 275 sold. Looked at his store, 700 available. Called the dealer and asked if I buy in bulk what is your best price. Slip of the mouth told me we have a man who sells on ebay who recently bought 1000 of the same item and does this over and over again. I asked then what is the price for 1000 then. Price I could compete with him was given but for 2.50 profit and 275 sold it would not be worth it.

Now if it was small and could be slipped into a small bag then it would be an easy 500.00 a month profit, but it is large and bulky and not worth it.

OP is dropshipping, most of us know that if you are dropshipping products the middle man is making the money and you are not. Some dropshippers can still make some money but they have to be golden with marketing skills etc.

Not only do you have to compete with all the other people dropshipping the same product but if it is being drop shipped then others have it who are buying pallets or containers as well.

Market is flooded and profits are no good.

Some people just want to sit and not touch anything to make money, those days are mostly gone. Not that easy anymore.