PayPal Sues Google, Sees Powerful Threat To Its Future In Google Wallet - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > Auction Listing > eBay News

eBay News Do you have News About eBay? Spill it!

Old 05-23-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
Default PayPal Sues Google, Sees Powerful Threat To Its Future In Google Wallet

In California it’s almost impossible to stop a key employee from jumping ship to a rival company. The law heavily favors the employee’s right to earn a living and typically won’t permit the former employer to prevent the employee from working for a rival.

California law does, however, protect “trade secrets” and will sometimes permit company A to block a former employee from working in an identical role at rival company B if trade secrets are implicated or at stake.

This is the scenario at the heart of a lawsuit announced yesterday by eBay/PayPal against Google following the public introduction of Google Wallet.
Google Nabbed Key PayPal Employees

According to the facts laid out in the 28-page complaint in early 2010 Google hired Stephanie Tilenius, a former PayPal and eBay executive. She in turn hired Osama Bedier in January of this year. Bedier was a key executive developing PayPal’s mobile payments platform. Bedier is alleged to have lured other PayPal employees to come to Google.

Tilenius and Bedier were the two Google employees who introduced Google Wallet yesterday on stage.

PayPal is suing Google for a range of contract and “tort” claims including breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition and breach of fiduciary duty. The company is asking for a variety of remedies and damages, including punitive damages and, interestingly, “royalties” on future profits that Google makes via Google Wallet. However Google Wallet is free; Google will be monetizing deals and other activities associated with Google Wallet — unlike PayPal there are no transaction fees involved.

Five of the nine “causes of action” are plead against Google and four against Tilenius and Bedier as individuals. PayPal claims that a range of its trade secrets are being used or will be used in the development and roll out of Google Wallet.
PayPal: Google Stole Our Lead Negotiator

PayPal alleges that for over two years it was negotiating with Google to make PayPal a payment option in the Android Market and that it “educated” Google during that period about mobile payments. The complaint also says that PayPal and Google had a deal that was “signature ready” but that Google had a change of heart after it began to recruit the lead PayPal executive, Bedier, who was negotiating the deal with Google.

It’s interesting that eBay/PayPal waited to sue until Google Wallet was made public. The company new that Tilenius and Bedier went to Google. The company also knew that other PayPal employees had left for Google. And it knew Google was developing a mobile payments platform. PayPal says it has been negotiating with Bedier, since his departure in January, for the return of information that it claims are its trade secrets and he’s refused to comply.

Had PayPal sued prior to the public unveiling of Google Wallet — which Google says it has been working on for over a year — PayPal might have been able to delay the launch of the product.
PayPal Vulnerable to Google Wallet

While the outlook for Google Wallet is somewhat uncertain at this point — it’s an impressive product but not clear how many consumers will adopt it — the potential damage to PayPal’s mobile business is clear. PayPal wants to build out a mobile developer ecosystem around payments with itself at the center; this is also what Google seeks to do.

Between PayPal and Google the latter offers the stronger value proposition to consumers, merchants and advertisers. This doesn’t mean that PayPal mobile won’t be able to develop a strong business. In some respects Google Wallet might help PayPal by accelerating the growth of mobile payments generally.

As we also know Google doesn’t win every market segment it enters: Google Checkout, when it was introduced, was briefly called a “PayPal killer.” Needless to say it didn’t turn quite that way. However Android has arguably become Google’s second most successful product after search and Wallet can piggyback to some degree on Android.

Yet there are also numerous other parties competing in the mobile payments realm: banks, credit card companies, Intuit, mobile carriers and startups. It’s still too early to pick winners; but Google must be seen as one of the favorites.

In terms of the outlook for the litigation, PayPal does appear to have a factual basis for some of its claims. But all the facts will come out in discovery. Ultimately PayPal is probably going to be unable to prevent Tilenius and Bedier from working in their current roles at Google. It also won’t be able to stop Google Wallet from rolling out.

If successful, the best PayPal can probably hope for from the litigation is monetary damages. And money won’t matter as much to Google as the payments business itself.
Source info:
Code:
http://searchengineland.com/paypal-sees-powerful-threat-to-its-future-in-google-wallet-78816
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to albaniansniper For This Useful Post:
amannamedray (10-29-2013), jeffweico (05-24-2013), rsot (05-24-2013)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

We will see how this unfolds.
Old 05-24-2013
Banned

Longevity: 69%
Send a message via Skype™ to rama

Sounds interesting...
Old 05-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

Interesting, cannot help but root for Google though myself.
Old 05-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 74%

Paypal is just so far ahead into the game that I don't think even google could compete with them right now. I can say for myself I have maybe used google wallet once in my life compared to hundreds of times for PayPal. Seems like google is just trying to bother their nemesis
Old 05-24-2013

Longevity: 80%

I cant wait to start using google for this.. They already know everything about me anyways whats a few more things
Old 05-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim jim View Post
Paypal is just so far ahead into the game that I don't think even google could compete with them right now. I can say for myself I have maybe used google wallet once in my life compared to hundreds of times for PayPal. Seems like google is just trying to bother their nemesis
I agree. I'd like to see Google succeed, but I don't know if it will happen.

eBay sellers may dislike PayPal, but we are just a tiny percentage of all PayPal account holders. I don't see the masses abandoning PayPal for Google. Some will use both. Not to mention, Google needs to give users a good reason to come to their service, and I just don't see a compelling one.

And we know that eBay will not allow Google Wallet since it is an "unproven service" and eBay must protect us from it - for our own good, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
slim jim (05-24-2013)
Old 05-25-2013
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 65%

When it comes to ebay, its about the time that google will step up to the mark and give users one other payment option instead of the just paypal.
Old 05-28-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by albaniansniper View Post
When it comes to ebay, its about the time that google will step up to the mark and give users one other payment option instead of the just paypal.
Paypal is very well entrenched in the payment processing industry online that Google cannot be a powerful competitor...yet. Still quite some time away :(
Old 05-28-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by albaniansniper View Post
Not that time yet.

Just keep dreaming.

paypal will not go without a great fight.

Avoid thinking otherwise to avoid disappointing yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
albaniansniper (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013
Executive [VIP]

In the end, sellers all lose out but let's see