Is it safe to list 1K GC on eBay - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-25-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Is it safe to list 1K GC on eBay

Hi, I have a $1,000 Amazon GC which I need to sell. Is there a maximum limit on GC to be sell on eBay. I searched $1,000 Gift Cards on eBay and I can't find any.

Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-25-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

No maximum on GC amount to list but be careful on selling this high on new account. A huge amount coming to PP can give you problems. Also, buyers can take advantage if you dont ship with tracking and signature,
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
Pandarian (05-26-2013)
Old 05-25-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandarian View Post
Hi, I have a $1,000 Amazon GC which I need to sell. Is there a maximum limit on GC to be sell on eBay. I searched $1,000 Gift Cards on eBay and I can't find any.

Thanks
Be careful of doing this. Make sure you cover yourself fully with tracking, signature and check the buyer out most carefully.

Even consider other methods of payment

:
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
Pandarian (05-26-2013)
Old 05-25-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

That would scare the heck out of me to list a 1000 gift card when some are saying they get 50.00 subway cards yanked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
Pandarian (05-26-2013)
Old 05-25-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

I would say that its not ok. Loads of factors.
Age of the account, amounts passed through the account before, holds, etc.

But, if you must?
Do the following:

Have the winner pay for the shipping that has tracking conformation and signature conformation. They are unwilling to pay? Do not ship, do not sell.

Tell them this in the listing: "DUE TO THE HIGH RISK OF POSSIBLE FRAUD, I WILL BE RECORDING THE SERIAL NUMBER AND PIN (if there is a pin) AND IT WILL BE TIED TO THE PERSONS CONFIRMED PAYPAL ADDRESS."

This will weed out a lot of scammers.

If you can, place in the listing that you will ship the card after around 5 business days after payment. This will give you time to start withdrawing the funds from your paypal to the bank in case they wish to scam you. Least you'll get something out of it.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES send the number via email. Too easy to just lose EVERYTHING.

Verify the amount after the auction win, while its in transit and once it is received by the buyer. You can keep this up until you see that the funds are spent.
This might give you ammo in case you need to fight a case.

Good luck...but again, if you can sell locally or spend online yourself...it would be best.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigCJ For This Useful Post:
Elijah (06-01-2013), GreenBean (05-25-2013), Pandarian (05-26-2013), Sandy D (05-25-2013), wonderwoman901 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-26-2013

Longevity: 68%

I have looked for some gift cards that say they will hold the funds for 30 days and then they will ship. I think its pretty ridiculous, but you can do whatever. Best bet is to sell it close by you in person. If you gonna do it via pp make sure you dont go crazy if you get a chargeback.
The Following User Says Thank You to astralman For This Useful Post:
Pandarian (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralman View Post
I have looked for some gift cards that say they will hold the funds for 30 days and then they will ship. I think its pretty ridiculous, but you can do whatever. Best bet is to sell it close by you in person. If you gonna do it via pp make sure you dont go crazy if you get a chargeback.
30 day processing is high but if you tell the buyEr and he or she accepts than that's some protection. Another payment processor is a good choice
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
Pandarian (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralman View Post
Based on another thread, the OP lists on ebay USA but is located elsewhere....

Might have problems there.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
Pandarian (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
Based on another thread, the OP lists on ebay USA but is located elsewhere....

Might have problems there.

Absolutely right. I'm not located in USA. However I get this $1,000 GC from USA and its not realistic to get the GC to my country and spend it or sell locally. So I have to sell it. eBay or wherever its possible.

BTW, I have lost $50 in past due to not providing tracking. So I have learn a lesson from that and I will provide tracking in this case.

I will sure spend the money in paypal within 5 days after receiving payment, So even buyer makes a dispute, I will not loss money. But I will loss time which I spend on my eBay & PayPal accounts

Also my eBay has $5,000 monthly selling limit or 100 items per month. For this month currently I have sold 52 items for near $3,300. Account has 100% positive feedback. No holds in PayPal. No spending limit.

Also to be a Power Seller I have fulfilled every requirement except the no. of items sold.

I think this will give more info to my fellow members to give answer to me. Thanks for your time and comments.
Old 05-26-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandarian View Post

I will sure spend the money in paypal within 5 days after receiving payment, So even buyer makes a dispute, I will not loss money. But I will loss time which I spend on my eBay & PayPal accounts

Have you ever withdrawn this kind of money? If not I would suggest several smaller amounts to get it out rather then one large chunk.

Also, how will you ship it if your locations is out of the USA and your account is in the USA. Wouldnt some buyers wonder about this once they received it?
Old 05-26-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
Have you ever withdrawn this kind of money? If not I would suggest several smaller amounts to get it out rather then one large chunk.

Also, how will you ship it if your locations is out of the USA and your account is in the USA. Wouldn't some buyers wonder about this once they received it?
I get my GC from a incentive offering company. It will not shipped to me. It will directly shipped by the company to eBay buyer with tracking & signature requirement.

BTW, I have tried to list the GC @ eBay. Looks like they only allow to list a GC with maximum of $500. However if you put BIN, Reserve or Starting price below $500, eBay will not recognize it when creating the sale. However I'm bit scared with the policy

What are the guidelines?

Allowed
  • Gift cards for a travel agency (For gift cards for travel services like airline tickets, see the guidelines in the Restricted section below.)
  • Paper-based gift certificates
  • Phone cards for minutes (For cards with a dollar amount, see the gift card guidelines in the Restricted section below.)

Restricted
  • Collectible gift cards with no redemption value can be listed, as long as sellers specify in the listing that there's no dollar amount on the card.
  • For stores or companies going through bankruptcy or going out of business, you can list their gift card only if it's still being accepted as a form of payment. If there's an expiration date, be sure to specify it in your listing.
  • Gift cards can be listed as long as you meet all of the following requirements:
  • The card's dollar amount is $500 or less.
  • You have the card in hand at the time you list it.
  • You offer only one gift card per listing.
  • You have only one gift card listing at a time, even if you have more than one eBay account.
  • At our discretion, eBay may approve authorized resellers or direct suppliers to list gift cards without these restrictions.
  • Gift cards for travel services (such as airline tickets, lodging, and so on) have to be listed in the Travel > Other category. For more details, see our travel policy.

Not allowed
  • Gift card codes or electronically delivered gift cards
  • Prepaid credit cards (or money cards) from American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. For details, see our credit and debit cards policy.
  • Store or merchandise credit in the form of a receipt

I think I should not list it in eBay. I should find somewhere else to sell it. Or buy something from Amazon GC and sell it @ eBay. Wonder Amazon ship to different locations when you pay with GC

Last edited by Pandarian; 05-26-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

This is going to be TROUBLE.

This is too much money to risk with a buyer, with ebay or amazon.

Please be careful

Old 05-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
This is going to be TROUBLE.

This is too much money to risk with a buyer, with ebay or amazon.

Please be careful

Op is trying hard but in the end, too dangerous for dealing with pp. Tracking, insurance, claims - be ready OP
Old 05-28-2013

Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
30 day processing is high but if you tell the buyEr and he or she accepts than that's some protection. Another payment processor is a good choice
for those of you doin a lot of selling , does this method of 30 day processing to have protection as the seller ALSO work for international orders?
i hate shipping international (e.g. europe) because its too expensive to send with tracking. USPS insurance doesn't cover anything (worthless insurance protection). therefore , won't demanding to the buyer that he wait 30 days offer protection when selling (due to the 45 day limit on the Buyer opening a case?)
Old 05-29-2013
Banned

If it were me I would be researching items on Amazon to re sell on ebay.

I found several things on amazon and asked the seller if they carried and inventory, when they said yes I ended up buying a case lot and got a better price to boot.
Old 05-29-2013

Longevity: 69%

At one time my CC was running a promo with an airliner to get giftcards and get a boat load of points. I bought the max 500$ x4 and sold them on ebay for like 498$ , I guess ebay had good ebay cash promo then.

Anyway I was very picky of who I sold to and did cancel a handful of bidders if they were new or just seemed fishy. I did not have any problems.

Just reember you win some and lose some.
Old 05-29-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapajenn1 View Post
for those of you doin a lot of selling , does this method of 30 day processing to have protection as the seller ALSO work for international orders?
i hate shipping international (e.g. europe) because its too expensive to send with tracking. USPS insurance doesn't cover anything (worthless insurance protection). therefore , won't demanding to the buyer that he wait 30 days offer protection when selling (due to the 45 day limit on the Buyer opening a case?)
Why would anyone risk offering 30 days just to sell internationally.

Not wise at all.

Getting too too close for the 45 day dispute time frame.
Old 06-01-2013

Quote:
Why would anyone risk offering 30 days just to sell internationally.

Not wise at all.

Getting too too close for the 45 day dispute time frame.

The 30 days gives protection to you as the seller.
45 day dispute time frame, but the 30 day waiting period is sufficient if you consider that the slowest shipping method (e.g. USPS First-Class) would require longer than the additional 15 days after the initial 30 day period.

For instance, you sell a pair of jeans to Italy. The buyer has to wait 30 days. Then you ship the jeans to Italy which takes more than 15 days (therefore the buyer has to receive item after 45 day Dispute time frame). The buyer cannot file a dispute because it wouldn't make sense for the buyer to claim Item Not Received, if theres proof that the shipment would require more than 15 more days......
Old 06-03-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
The 30 days gives protection to you as the seller.
45 day dispute time frame, but the 30 day waiting period is sufficient if you consider that the slowest shipping method (e.g. USPS First-Class) would require longer than the additional 15 days after the initial 30 day period.

For instance, you sell a pair of jeans to Italy. The buyer has to wait 30 days. Then you ship the jeans to Italy which takes more than 15 days (therefore the buyer has to receive item after 45 day Dispute time frame). The buyer cannot file a dispute because it wouldn't make sense for the buyer to claim Item Not Received, if theres proof that the shipment would require more than 15 more days......
Increasing evidence that a buyer can file a dispute at ANY time if he/she decides to put in the time and effort.
Old 06-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Increasing evidence that a buyer can file a dispute at ANY time if he/she decides to put in the time and effort.
i see your point , but the method i'm talking about makes it harder for the buyer to file a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ dispute.
let's say you ship from USA to Russia. The buyer already knows that the shipping (regular, not expedited) will take more than the 15 days. So once you (the seller in this case) waits 30 days, the remaining window of time is day 31 to day 45 for the buyer to file dispute.

Although the buyer in Russia can open a dispute from day 31 to day 45, it would still deter a lot of scammers if they are informed that the day is ONLY shipped on day 30. It is still possible for the scam buyer to open dispute on day 45. But, it it is illogical and irrational to do so. The item shipped out day 30, and cannot be delivery complete until after day 45, even if the item was not lost.

Anyways, is there any way for us sellers to protect ourselves in International shipping on EB? I really hate it. I have heard from the grape vine that Click n Ship offers a decent protection for sellers, refund/reimbursement?
Old 06-05-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Anyways, is there any way for us sellers to protect ourselves in International shipping on EB? I really hate it. I have heard from the grape vine that Click n Ship offers a decent protection for sellers, refund/reimbursement?
Your idea is a good one but really...besides tracking + signature + INSURANCE, there is not protection for international shipping. PP likes to wipe its hand off of international sales and stiff the seller since it's so easy to do e.g. less protection vs chargebacks :(