got scammed, paypal negative balance, help! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 07-06-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 74%
Default got scammed, paypal negative balance, help!

Hi guys, i need some help.

I have a stealth paypal/ebay account i bought here year ago and used with care, the ebay account has excellent feedback and top rated seller rating.

Recently i sold a electronic item worth over $3000, and as soon as the buyer received it he filed for paypal claim and want to return it. I checked his ebay accounts "feedback left for others" comments and he is a professional scammer(yes i messed up, should have checked before i shipped).

Many sellers in the past left comment about getting scammed by him, he will return back a different junk electronic and keep the money, paypal doesnt care as long as it gets a tracking number.

However i managed to transfer the money out into my bank account before the claim hit by sheer luck, so now my paypal account has a -$3500+ balance.

I am prepared to lose this paypal account if i lose the claim which most likely will be the case as paypal always side with the buyer.

My question is will my ebay account also be suspended/banned? is there anyway to salvage it? will it help if i delink the paypal account? The ebay account is probably worth more than a few grand as i built a great reputation and have return customers, however i cant stomach the thought of letting this scammer win.

So angry at myself and this scammer, i am thinking about taking a 6 hour flight and have a talk with him face to face.

Is there anything that can be done to save my ebay account?

thank you

Last edited by newdude05; 07-06-2013 at 07:41 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-06-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

No one really knows If the Ebay account will go down. Only ebay knows. I've had Ebay's survive a Paypal Ban.
Old 07-06-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

It is impossible to say for sure, but think about what you are doing by putting a solid account at risk. I would fight the claim and point out to PayPal that he has done this to other sellers in the past.
Old 07-06-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
It is impossible to say for sure, but think about what you are doing by putting a solid account at risk. I would fight the claim and point out to PayPal that he has done this to other sellers in the past.
yes i am definitely going to fight it, but paypal's policy is if buyer files claim they will 100% get their money back if they return the item, and paypal's definition of returning the item is a return tracking #.

this is a pro scammer, he takes full advantage of this, i counted at least a dozen sellers since 2012 who got scammed out of thousands of dollars by him. He will buy cheap stuff and get positive feedback so his feedback page looks great, but if you click on the feedback he left for others it's all red for the expensive $1000+ auctions, and the sellers reply to his negative feedback are all similar that item was sent new he returned back different worthless electronic, scammed.
Old 07-06-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
Recently i sold a electronic item worth over $3000, and as soon as the buyer received it he filed for paypal claim and want to return it. I checked his ebay accounts "feedback left for others" comments and he is a professional scammer(yes i messed up, should have checked before i shipped).

Many sellers in the past left comment about getting scammed by him, he will return back a different junk electronic and keep the money, paypal doesnt care as long as it gets a tracking number.

However i managed to transfer the money out into my bank account before the claim hit by sheer luck, so now my paypal account has a -$3500+ balance.

My question is will my ebay account also be suspended/banned? is there anyway to salvage it? will it help if i delink the paypal account? The ebay account is probably worth more than a few grand as i built a great reputation and have return customers, however i cant stomach the thought of letting this scammer win.

So angry at myself and this scammer, i am thinking about taking a 6 hour flight and have a talk with him face to face.

thank you
Does not say much for your pratices that you sold such an item without checking the buyer's feedback.

And the sheer luck of getting your funds out? Amazing.

If you are on the level, the first thing to do is fight with paypal. Do not come here and make statments about what paypal does or does not do.

Fight for your case as hard as you can.
You can not delink the paypal. It is attached forever.

Now here is the rub for you. If you do not fight for that paypal, you might lose that ebay. None of us know for sure.

Do not imagine for one moment a large negative balance like that will not cause issues.
Old 07-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

Fight the case as much as you can. I hope you sent the item with signature confirmation if it was 3k purchase. I would also point that out to PayPal in the dispute. Show a screen shot of his negative feedback's etc. To prove your point.
Old 07-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

Fight it with PayPal pointing out the number of times he has done this.

If he does send something back, I would video record myself opening it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
defon (07-08-2013), Sandy D (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013
Threadstarter  

Yes i have the signature confirmation as well as photos of the item before it was sent. I plan to respond today to the claim.

also to clarify i did check his feedback before sending, his feedback was all good since sellers cannot leave negative feedback, and i didnt think much of it. But it's his feedback left for others where you see all the reds, lesson learnt.
Old 07-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

DEFINITELY attach a screenshot of the ratings he has left for other sellers.

Can you not open a case against this buyer for trying to De-fraud you?

The more power you have against the buyer, the better chances you have at winning your fight against him.
Old 07-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Yes i have the signature confirmation as well as photos of the item before it was sent. I plan to respond today to the claim.

also to clarify i did check his feedback before sending, his feedback was all good since sellers cannot leave negative feedback, and i didnt think much of it. But it's his feedback left for others where you see all the reds, lesson learnt.
Collect all this data (as you are doing right now) and present it clearly and logically to PP. You seem to be handling it well

Have to demonstrate clearly to PP this buyer's sad past history...keep pushing OP
Old 07-07-2013

Longevity: 62%
Talking

If you have all the docs and pics plus feedback proof your going to be fine. I've been down this many times and I always won. Just be calm and respectful when you call paypal to resolve this you will come out ahead. I would also explain that noticing this scammer is why you withdrew all your funds from paypal to ease the process of resolution in your case.
Old 07-07-2013

Longevity: 62%

Quote:

thank you
EVEN if PP sides with you (which they don't side with the seller) - the buyer will go to their credit card and you will still have the chargeback - again, even if PP reverses the claim. your PP would be locked until you pay the balance and a ton of paperwork will be asked of you.

if you try to de-link it from ebay - you will have to provide another method of fees.

i de-linked all my paypals from buying and the seller's account wanted a credit card in order to de-link the paypal - and even then, after the fees were paid - EB said 0.99 was still owed for a future month, not yet billed, even tho i had sold nothing and had paid all my fees. so EB would not let that seller acct close.

if you attach another PP to that EB - you would be linked.

the funds are already in your bank and moved out, yes?

Last edited by stealthychew; 07-07-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

I agree that PayPal mostly sides with the buyers. HOWEVER - if a buyer is constantly filing claims and other sellers have been ripped off, then it is not quite so automatic. Yes, they could STILL side with the buyer, but it is NOT a guarantee.

From the information provided by the OP, I believe it pays to fight this particular case.

In the event of a chargeback, I would also advise the bank of the buyer's behavior.

The OP has nothing to lose by fighting this.
Old 07-07-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

If handled correctly given the info above this should be a win for the OP.

Keep us informed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
user3657 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-08-2013
Executive [VIP]

I would not bet on that.

Recall that thread by boost?
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscri...buyer-ftl.html

Lost big time.

OP needs to be persistent and insistent with this issue.

Old 07-10-2013

Longevity: 69%

Collect all your info and open your package at your local police station and have them as a witness. Then email that report to paypal when he opens a case.

Inform the buyer this will happen and an extra 2-3 days is needed to process a high value return because of the above. Warn the buyer this is for their protection and in the case of fraud you report to their local police/paypal and also ICS and whatever else there is.

Also video tape you opening the package.

If you do the above you will not lose the case. Also point out to paypal his past feedback.

I would even go so far if you could to contact your internet scam department(police) before getting the package...Then I would pay the extra fees(if sent ups/fedex) to have the package rerouted to the detective assigned to the case. Then have him fax a letter to paypal on police letter head when the sucker opens the case.

Last edited by user3657; 07-10-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2013

Longevity: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
I would not beat on that.

Recall that thread by boost?
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscri...buyer-ftl.html

Lost big time.

OP needs to be persistent and insistent with this issue.

I would want to read his emails to CS as that could have had a deciding factor in the reps decision.
Old 07-10-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Nice ideas if the buyer decides to return the item
Old 07-10-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
I would want to read his emails to CS as that could have had a deciding factor in the reps decision.
Even with 'facts' in front of them, both ebay and paypal have made some outrageous decisions. ( for another thread though)
Old 07-10-2013
Threadstarter  

thank you guys for the support, i am just waiting now. Those are the worst kind of scammer, if they out right try to scam you with a chargeback etc..then paypal/ebay can resolve, but those guys act legit and scam the loophole in the claim process.

The problem is this is a stealth account even though i have been a perfect seller. So i cant really do anything outside of ebay/paypal... any kind of police report or filing with bbb requires my real identity which doesnt match against the account. i am hoping ebay will look at the seller fees i am paying each invoice ($250+) and take that into consideration since all they care is money, and my perfect feedback over the last year.

Last edited by newdude05; 07-10-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2013

Longevity: 66%

i would say best to un-link the ebay account and dont log in the paypal anymore .
i had my paypal suspended luckly it was not attached to ebay so nothing went wrong.
but try that there are no links found between ur ebay and the - paypal account.
Old 07-10-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
i am hoping ebay will look at the seller fees i am paying each invoice ($250+) and take that into consideration since all they care is money, and my perfect feedback over the last year.
Don't hold your breath. I once lost an account - years ago - where I was paying more than $4,000 per month in fees. At that time, featured auctions were $100, and all of my auctions were featured.