Other payment method for buying online - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers

Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers Discuss Dropshipping on/off eBay, Amazon, Shopify, Etsy and other platforms.

Old 07-08-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 73%
Default Other payment method for buying online

What other payment method could I use instead of paypal for buying wholesale from a individual in south America .With a decent exchange rate from gbp to usd ?

Also does any one know how much exchange rate commission paypal would charge .

Cheers
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-08-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

Skrill is my preferred choice. Other options such as bank transfer and Western Union are also used, although not as safe. Will depends on what methods they accept.

Google 'PayPal £ to $ exchange rate' and you are likely to find your answer.
Old 07-11-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Skrill is good indeed - ask your seller what other services he offers? Used your cc - gives you good protection backup - do NOT do blind bank transfers, WU, or Moneygram...no recourse for you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggesmalls View Post
What other payment method could I use instead of paypal for buying wholesale from a individual in south America .With a decent exchange rate from gbp to usd ?

Cheers
Ask your seller how he can accept Credit card payment - credit card companies give usually the best real-time exchange AND you have protection from fraud by the cc company...
Old 07-11-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggesmalls View Post

Cheers
Warning paypal link below

Watch paypal carefully with exchange rate commission. Read the blue type regarding how they charge. ( The exchange is not to a seller's advantage)

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?c...y-fees-outside

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
Sandy D (07-16-2013)
Old 07-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Rather than looking at the exchange rate commission of pp, I will save you the time OP - it's HORRIBLE - dont use it
Old 07-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

You can "Buy" Dollars at your Local Bank, ALL Banks around the world convert their local currencies to US Dollars, and Normally they will give you the best conversion Rates, once you have your Money converted to US Dollars then you can use an Escrow service like this one:

https://escrow.com/
Sandy D (07-16-2013)
Old 07-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Exchange rate via PayPal is not worthwhile for long term business. Eats profits up

Old 07-14-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
Exchange rate via PayPal is not worthwhile for long term business. Eats profits up

Definitely - makes PP fat and happy too
Old 07-14-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Definitely - makes PP fat and happy too
That has nothing to do with the topic.

Old 07-16-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Rather than looking at the exchange rate commission of pp, I will save you the time OP - it's HORRIBLE - dont use it
I say look at it like GB suggested so they can learn from it.

You cannot learn from things if you never see it or understand it.
Old 07-25-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

I prefer to WU in a situation like this. I have been scammed before like this. You have to do you due diligence learn as much as you can. And try to purchase a sample order. In most cases purchasing from outside the US bulk through PayPal can cause problems and risk your account.

It really is the Catch 22.

It really is hit or miss. Establishing trust with a supplier is one of the most important aspects of being an long term eBay merchant. Without the goods you essentially have empty shelves.
Old 08-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
It really is hit or miss. Establishing trust with a supplier is one of the most important aspects of being an long term eBay merchant. Without the goods you essentially have empty shelves.
High important if you plan to go the WU route too - easy scams exist by WU
Old 08-09-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
High important if you plan to go the WU route too - easy scams exist by WU
I agree there are lots of scams but if you have been buying from overseas in any kind of quantity over the past 10 years at some point you are going to have to be willing to go the route of MoneyGram, WU or Bank Transfer. All risky I agree.

Maybe for a sample order you can agree to pay a higher price to go through PayPal or something like that. Or even agree to pay a higher price and send a WU payment for a smaller quantity just to make sure you get what you are looking for.

Any way you look at it. Sourcing goods isn't easy and it comes with risk. You have to do as much homework as you can try to minimize your risk as much as possible but at some point given the correct situation you have to take the risk.

Other wise don't try to buy from overseas and get a 9 to 5 or something like that. Being an Entrepreneur by definition means taking risk. DO what you can to minimize it and try to get trust on both ends. But I will admit some of the best deals and best suppliers I ever had overseas I just took the risk. I got burned a few times, but the ones that paid off where absolutely golden.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
rsot (08-09-2013)
Old 08-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 82%
Send a message via MSN to teedon Send a message via Skype™ to teedon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
I agree there are lots of scams but if you have been buying from overseas in any kind of quantity over the past 10 years at some point you are going to have to be willing to go the route of MoneyGram, WU or Bank Transfer. All risky I agree.

Maybe for a sample order you can agree to pay a higher price to go through PayPal or something like that. Or even agree to pay a higher price and send a WU payment for a smaller quantity just to make sure you get what you are looking for.

Any way you look at it. Sourcing goods isn't easy and it comes with risk. You have to do as much homework as you can try to minimize your risk as much as possible but at some point given the correct situation you have to take the risk.

Other wise don't try to buy from overseas and get a 9 to 5 or something like that. Being an Entrepreneur by definition means taking risk. DO what you can to minimize it and try to get trust on both ends. But I will admit some of the best deals and best suppliers I ever had overseas I just took the risk. I got burned a few times, but the ones that paid off where absolutely golden.
Very useful advise and experience.

Do more research,know more details,risk will be less.

No risks,no business.Actually life is a risk but people need to take the risks and enjoy it

There are much much oppurtunities from the risks,if you have enough brave and if you make great effort.
Old 09-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Purchases need to be backed by credit card company with fraud policy coverage....whenever possible
Old 09-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Default Re: Other payment method for buying online

Quote:
Purchases need to be backed by credit card company with fraud policy coverage....whenever possible
While I do agree that i helpful. Buying from overseas many times the CC might just deny anyways. Trying to get a contact where you can buy a sample order. Hopefully around $100-150 maybe a bit more considering the product. I always advise doing. Always telling them if you come through here I have a ton more business with for you. Even if they only accept WU. For me is not a red Flag. I just wouldn't be an idiot and send thousands of dollars. Get a small order and even agree to pay more to establish quality and trust.

It is always about establishing relationships. I always would advocate trying to get the minimum order even at a higher price not only to see if they are trustworthy but to see the quality even if it costs 50% more than a large bulk order. If it arrives ok, slowly increase the size of the orders, to build trust and establish credibility. It is hard working with overseas suppliers. But once you establish it isn't a straight scam and you start to build a relationship it gets much easier going forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
rsot (09-12-2013)