Possible link because of error with sign up? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 09-22-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%
Default Possible link because of error with sign up?

I logged in on a webshop I am working on and went to ''Checkout'' to select a new Payment gateway. I entered my old PayPal details (the one which is suspended) a few months ago before the suspension, but I de-activated it on the webshop. I accidentally clicked on ''re-activate'' and PayPal checkout was activated again.

I didn't login on PayPal, all of this happened on the webshop admin interface.
I didn't enter my old PayPal details, just hit ''re-activate'', nothing more.

I already de-activated it again. But is my new PayPal linked to my old PayPal now?

I also have another question:

- I never used my old PayPal to receive payments from the webshop. Can I use a different PayPal payment gateway/method (like Express Checkout) using my new PayPal details to receive payments via my webshop? I will need additional PayPal codes/details to activate express checkout, different than the ones I used with my previous PayPal account & payment gateway.

Or is my webshop already linked to my suspended PayPal account? And if yes; how then? And can I do something to ''unlink'' it?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-22-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%
Default re: Possible link because of error with sign up?

You would have to determine whether or not your website software sends anything to PayPal on its own. If it does not and no sales were made, and you made no "test" charges, then I do not see how it could be linked.

IMHO, best course of action would be to call your website host (if they host the software) or technical support (if it is purchased software) and ask them if your PayPal information was entered and no sales were made, would any information be sent to PayPal. If they ask why I would just say I accidentally entered the wrong account information.

Once a link exists in PayPal, it CANNOT be un-linked. PayPal retains all of the information it receives FOREVER, even if you can no longer see the information. For example, if you had a bank account attached to your banned PayPal and you EVER use it with any new accounts, they are linked - even if you "deleted" the bank information from your old account.
Old 09-22-2013
Threadstarter  

Well, I never made a test payment. I also never received any payments.

This is what the set-up page on the webshop software states:

----

Setup Instructions

You must have a PayPal business account and you must grant Shopify third-party API Access to your PayPal profile:

- Clicking Activate will redirect to your PayPal account.

- Click Grant Permissions on the PayPal screen.

- After granting permissions, you'll be redirected back to this page with your PayPal account configured.

----

So I have granted the webshop software permission to use my PayPal profile/account. But does this mean my old PayPal was linked to this webshop?

So if I use a new PayPal (stealth) account and a different PayPal gateway/checkout method, how would PayPal know that it is me? I mean, the webshop is the same, but the software is not part of the PayPal ''empire'' like eBay, so how would they know that it's the same person?
Old 09-22-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

You would have to ask Shopify. The thing is, I don't know what happens when you grant the permission that was granted - if any information is sent at all, or what the information is.

My guess is that there COULD be a link since Shopify took you to the PayPal account. If Shopify uses only one (or a few) IP addresses for all of their clients, then the IP would not have linked you. But if ANY information was sent that could identify the particular account (your login details, email address, or whatever) then the accounts are most likely linked.
Old 09-22-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,920 Times in 8,212 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmelol View Post

- I never used my old PayPal to receive payments from the webshop. Can I use a different PayPal payment gateway/method (like Express Checkout) using my new PayPal details to receive payments via my webshop? I will need additional PayPal codes/details to activate express checkout, different than the ones I used with my previous PayPal account & payment gateway.

Or is my webshop already linked to my suspended PayPal account? And if yes; how then? And can I do something to ''unlink'' it?
You cant really unlink it. To be safe, I would not use PP.

If you can, avoid using PP whenever not necessary - look at other processors that will accept PP - one idea is CCNow (read about it)
Old 09-22-2013
Threadstarter  

Yeah, I know about CCNow. And I tried to use it, but Shopify doesn't support it
:(.

I e-mailed Shopify and asked them to remove any link/connection between my old PayPal account and my Shopify account.

I think if Shopify doesn't register any link, there couldn't be any... right? Or not?

I think I'll make 2 separate PayPal's... But I have trouble identifying myself since PayPal requests a billing address which proves my address and identity. And I use a different address & name since it is a stealth account...
Old 09-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,920 Times in 8,212 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: Possible link because of error with sign up?

I am not so worried about "Shopify" as opposed to PP and what info goes to them i.e. how integrated is PP into this site...I cant say 100% but PP LOVES information...