Ebay account suspended indefinitely - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal > UK eBay Suspensions

UK eBay Suspensions General issues related to UK eBay suspensions

Old 09-26-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Ebay account suspended indefinitely

Warning, long explanation!
A couple of weeks ago I decided to sell 9 dresses on ebay. Thinking I was being extremely organised I put them up one after another which in hindsight turns out to be the worst thing i could have done! Nearly a week later (the 18th) I receive a suspension notice from ebay and asking for documents to prove my identity and ownership of the items.

I email them back 2 days later with a copy of my driving licence and a statement that I don't have proof of ownership of the dresses because they were all bought a long time ago. I don't hear anything from them until the 24th, when they send me an email that they have suspended my account.

Fuming, i decided to ring customer support. I explain the situation and the woman on the phone puts me on hold while she checks my account. She comes back and says that I needed proof of ownership of the items, which could be done by taking pictures of myself with the items. I ask what time period I would need to do this in and she says 24-48 hours. So on the evening of the 25th I email a couple of pictures of myself with some of the dresses.
Today I thought I would contact an ebay agent on their chat system to see if there had been a decision on my account (don't trust them to email me back).

The agent replies saying my account has been suspended indefinitely! Apparently I was unable to provide them a proof of address and my driving licence doesn't count as a proof of address, just ID. Now I wouldn't mind except the initial email stated they wanted:
"Front and back copy of your ID or passport.
- Copy of a document showing your address (if different from what is displayed on your identity document)"

I took this to mean I should only provide another proof of address if it's different from that of my ID! I thought I was just being efficient, giving them my ID and address in one and now I feel like i've been penalised for a badly worded email! Even worse, the woman on the phone didn't mention anything about a lack of proof of address and was I led to believe it was the ownership of the items they weren't happy about.

So I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what to do to appeal this suspension in any way? I'm already planning to call them out about it tomorrow when I ring them but wondered if any one had any words of wisdom? Not really wanting to go stealth if possible :/ Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: Ebay account suspended indefinitely

Calling ebay out will do wonders for your cause.

Calling out anyone who has the upper hand with you backfires BIG TIME.

Words of wisdom from me are to approach calmly, quietly but with a certain amount of 'push'.

Phone up, politely ask if you can speak to a supervisor/manager as you need advice on what to do about misleading advice. Explain ( Without being smart) much as you explained here.

Get the agent on side and try to get them to work with you.

Get the name of the agent as well. Regardless of the result, email that agent straight after the call. Thank them for listening & go over what you calmly quietly said.

Send the email. Get up from the desk. Kick the kitchen door, the bathroom door. Yell at whoever you like. Do not yell at ebay.
In other words, plead your case in a professional manner.
Good Luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
Dmshark25 (11-06-2013), Geegee83 (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,925 Times in 8,217 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Moving forward be professional and learn stealth to get back on. Don't use your real info.
Old 09-28-2013
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 61%

Thanks for your replies

Before I could get chance to ring ebay, I received an email from them reinstating my account so I'll never know what the real issue was!
Old 11-06-2013

Longevity: 65%

is it really work if we fax the documents they want?
Would they reinstate the account right after we provide enough documents
Old 11-06-2013

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

It all depends on the restriction, but if you are flat out suspended sometimes thats it no explanation no nothing , but if they say they need ID, Invoices and such, yes it can work, but you need to be on top of that and like Grennie said be on your best behavior , say Take your time when they put you on hold , never show any anger , they control you and that is that , your account is in there hands , so fax in anything they ask , and call every other day, they are very slow because they probably have stacks and piles of invoices and IDs, so it will take sometimes many calls and hours on the phone , so be prepared

3 times i was asked i was lucky and was reinstated all 3 times, sometimes it took 2 weeks of calling and another i faxed in id and received an email a few hours later saying reinstated
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
mjt530 (11-07-2013)