Paypal Temporary Hold on GIFT Payment ? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk > Paypal Limited

Paypal Limited PayPal Limited Account – A general forum on PayPal limitations and how to either lift them or create new accounts.

Old 11-19-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 72%
Default Paypal Temporary Hold on GIFT Payment ?

For those TL;DR:
What is the best way to deal with this situation if you have a Temporary Hold on GIFT Payments? In this case, Paypal is claiming it is unauthorized (on sellers end), but both parties know better.

"You have received a payment that we believe may not have been authorized by the PayPal account holder ... We recommend that you don’t ship the item until our investigation is complete. If you’ve already shipped the item, please log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Center to provide the shipping details."

Given the following options:
Please provide some additional information about this transaction.
* I have not shipped the item yet.
* I shipped the item(s) and can provide tracking information.
* The buyer has already been refunded and I can provide proof of the previous refund.
* None of these options apply to me.

PayPal will review the information and determine whether the claim can be closed.

FULL STORY:
Received a GIFT Payment a few days ago, cleared it. All was fine. Received another GIFT Payment today from the same person. Now they both seem to have gotten flagged and held up with the other one. My account has fallen into a negative balance as a result since the previous payment was cleared already. Absolutely retarded stuff. Sender has no idea what is going on... Their Paypal account got limited with ID request, explanation is not clear. Sender had a verified address under their account with a credit card on file, no bank account. The amounts weren't very large (under $250, not in the thousands).. The payment that is currently held was not a payment for products, just honestly a personal payment.

IN THE PAST:
I've gone through this before in the past and simply just shipped to the confirmed shipping address on file originally listed in the Transaction Details when this type of problem arose. The problem with GIFT Payments is that there is usually no shipping address counted, since it's not really required. This is the first time I've encountered this and I can't seem to find anything under Paypal policies which mention shipping under GIFT Payments. From what I know, the buyer usually gives up all rights to a refund after sending their payment using the GIFT option. That's really fine with us, as long as it goes where it was originally intended. Looks like they're looking for shipping again, but I want to confirm if this is possible to fix or not..

MY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS SITUATION:
Anyone with experience care to shed any light? What is the best way to win this case so the funds stay in my account as originally intended?
Has anyone gone through this before and shipped against a GIFT case with a successful result?
Or should I just say bye-bye to the funds (then ask the sender to dispute it forcibly against Paypal)? The funds were not returned to them, yet.

Since it's my case, I would just like to know the best possible action available. May your knowlege spread! Thank you.

NOTE: Mods, feel free to move this to the "Paypal Talk" subforums. I may have made a mistake posting this in the Paypal Limited subforums. Sorry about that..

Last edited by exxomscp; 11-19-2013 at 05:19 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-19-2013
Threadstarter  

Default Re: Paypal Temporary Hold on GIFT Payment ?

What I am wondering now is.. will shipping for a GIFT Payment to a buyer's address on file even cover this or should I dispute it differently? They can give me the address of their credit card on file, but it still isn't included under the Transaction Details. I would like to know before I start shipping anything just to satisfy Paypal's requirements, or even if this is possible before I start wasting time on shipping.

Last edited by exxomscp; 11-19-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

if it got reversed then in theory you cannot really dispute it, the sender can resend it to you if their account gets unlimited. You can send something and get tracking for the transaction and submit it, hard to give advice because paypal often use their discretion when you contact them, and I hve found them helpful when you explain things and it could go either way, the only thing is that it is a gift payment and they may refuse on those grounds.
Old 11-19-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
if it got reversed then in theory you cannot really dispute it, the sender can resend it to you if their account gets unlimited. You can send something and get tracking for the transaction and submit it, hard to give advice because paypal often use their discretion when you contact them, and I hve found them helpful when you explain things and it could go either way, the only thing is that it is a gift payment and they may refuse on those grounds.
Didn't get reversed back to the other account at all. Just "held" pending action on my account (not in my acc, not in theirs), IMO waiting for shipping / delivery, something which I found farfetched given the circumstances.

I'm a little concerned that there's nothing I can do in this case and eventually it will get reversed (no matter if I ship, explain, whatever) because there is no address in the Transaction Details. That is kind of why I'm here asking. If that happens, then I would've just wasted shipping fees and Paypal can choose to keep the money in the limited account without the possibility of refunding to the funding source. Playing it kind of dirty. Buyer didn't file anything, Paypal did, no matter how weird they want to word it. Not to say I won't try, I just wish I knew for sure. I will call Paypal tomorrow and try to get some solid information out of them. Thanks for your input. Any more suggestions out there? I will report my findings.

My instincts are really telling me to send something just to satisfy them...

Last edited by exxomscp; 11-19-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

not really far-fetched, it was a gift payment so no shipping required option was chosen, the other guy is limited so tracking might release it.....the other guy may have cases or neg balance and pp may be looking to retrieve any money, or it could be the sender that may want to get the money back to pay off stuff. In any case from pp viewpoint, throwing money out before you get in trouble as a gift can look like bailing...

do you own both accs, have you sent it to yourself? are you the sender and receiver? You seem to know alot about senders motives...

Last edited by oompaloompa; 11-19-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-19-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
not really far-fetched, it was a gift payment so no shipping required option was chosen, the other guy is limited so tracking might release it.....the other guy may have cases or neg balance and they are looking to retrieve any money, as throwing money out before you get in trouble as a gift can look like bailing...

have you sent it to yourself, are you the sender and receiver? You seem to know alot about senders motives...
Sender has 0-100 balance I think (no cases, no neg), just got limited after transfer. I will be visiting them this weekend. They are 60 miles away; we live in the same state, not the same city. I am in contact with them and I could theoretically pick the package up, but it'd be an hour plus drive away from me and my timing would have to be accurate. Don't worry, my business stays at home.. ;P Everything I've said is definitely for sure though; no reason to lie.

I seem to remember speculation about account flagging based on distance; I'm figuring maybe this may be why Paypal limited the account, but I must've forgotten or didn't think it would've mattered. Doesn't matter now. Lol.

Last edited by exxomscp; 11-19-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2013

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Sending money from account to account is unsafe for stealth accounts and only ok if accounts are verified and confirmed with tax ID and one with a SS# other than that there will always be suspicion of the accounts being the same person and money should never be transfered
Old 12-05-2013
Threadstarter  

Just for anyone wondering and for future notice..

The payment was reversed when I did not provide tracking, even though it was a gift payment. Kind of ridiculous huh? Now I know what was the winning choice. TO WIN, SEND A TRACKABLE PACKAGE.

Luckily the payment was refunded to the sender properly. Whew.
Old 12-06-2013

Longevity: 66%

Sound about right. If you shipped it to a confirmed address, provided tracking and the tracking later shows delivered that means you would of met the seller protection requirements.
Old 12-06-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thready View Post
Sound about right. If you shipped it to a confirmed address, provided tracking and the tracking later shows delivered that means you would of met the seller protection requirements.
There are no confirmed addresses on Personal Payments / GIFTs / Etc. They may still reverse the transaction even though you shipped to the same address listed under the other person's Paypal account.

Don't know for sure, don't really wanna find out at this point. What's done is done. They classify unauthorized Personal Payments as products for some reason.
Old 12-07-2013

Longevity: 71%

refund are good in this case .
Old 12-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTXCDEXIA View Post
The payment was reversed when I did not provide tracking, even though it was a gift payment. Kind of ridiculous huh? Now I know what was the winning choice. TO WIN, SEND A TRACKABLE PACKAGE.
Gift payments can always be reserves.

You do not get seller protection on gift payments, its meant to be a gift after all, not selling an item.
Old 12-07-2013

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTXCDEXIA View Post
There are no confirmed addresses on Personal Payments / GIFTs / Etc. They may still reverse the transaction even though you shipped to the same address listed under the other person's Paypal account.

Don't know for sure, don't really wanna find out at this point. What's done is done. They classify unauthorized Personal Payments as products for some reason.
My apology. Your right. Seller protection doesnt apply to gift payments. I skimmed your paragraph for confirmed address instead of rereading it all over again.
Old 12-09-2013
Threadstarter  

Received personal payment via other means.

Yeah, Paypal is a pain in the ass. I retract my statement earlier.
Consider personal payments will always be reversed if placed into unauthorized status.
There is always a risk for this in Paypal's system. If you want less risk, do a transaction for goods / services so you can always back it up with tracking if necessary.
That is my final view on the matter.

I've been finding a lot of little facts here and there and believe this is one that should be added to a supplementary guide or FAQ regarding account details.

Last edited by exxomscp; 12-09-2013 at 12:50 PM.