Buyer filed false unauthorized chargeback - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 12-01-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%
Default Buyer filed false unauthorized chargeback

I'm sure that it has happened to most of y'all, but it's the first time someone actually claimed that someone hacked their account and used their card to make a 12.99 purchase. I'll try to make this short and then state my plan.

They made purchase, waited two days and filed the chargeback. I responded with tracking, item was still in transit. Paypal responds they can't confirm where package is, and they will investigate. Later that day package shows delivered, next day paypal decides in their favor.

During this time, I check the fb. VERY BAD!!! Fb shows this person is a huge scammer, TONS of negs for other sellers saying they didn't mail package out within 24 hours, or package never came.

So far what I did was message buyer telling them I need to file case with USPS for their addy being used to receive stolen goods (acting like I believe they were a victim at that point) and also need to file a police report with their local police dept and they may need to swing by and ask her questions. At that point, she claims the addy that the package was sent to is not her addy, thief must have hacked their account, CHANGED contact info, and then ordered the undies.

She then messages me back, btw, I just filed a report with the cops 5 mins ago so you don't need to bother. How sweet of her! lol I reply that I'm still going to file my own report. Buyer quickly replies with, why do I need too, since she just did?? I ask if their is anyone in her house that would have access to her computer....she doesn't know?? lol

So feeling like Magnum PI (in the less hairy female version), I search her name on facebook. Its a very unusual name and her city I think is a smaller one. Bam, this persons name pops up and profile is public. This kid is just 18! And on the day when she filed chargeback, she made a post that she lost her job and needs a new one bad!

Fast forward to this morning. I messaged her and let her know I will turning this over to an attorney. She responds really snotty, saying its only 12 bucks and to move on, etc. Now I'm hot! After seeing her making a point a leaving negs for so many other sellers, and scamming me, I AM planning on pursuing this as far as I can.

Hubby has had legal insurance through his job. We pay a small amount every month and if we ever need a lawyer, its totally free. We've had it for 3 years and never needed it. However, I am more than willing to use it now.

Any advice on what steps I should take, for those that have been through this? I of course will be getting advice from the attorney, but I would like to be prepared before I go in and talk with him.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%
Default Re: Buyer filed false unauthorized chargeback

Report to eBay obviously. And point out when you send them the message they have a history of this and there is no place for this kind of behavior in the eBay community. You are probably out the $12 but best case eBay see this and they become NARU. More people that report these things the less likely these kind of professional buyers as Sandy calls them can stick around.
Old 12-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I would report her to eBay and be done with it. Filing a legal claim could get VERY expensive.

If you speak with an attorney, MAYBE they will look upon the case as one of right vs wrong and send a demand letter to this person at a low cost. That might work. Of course, the best outcome would be to get their account suspended so they cannot continue to do this to other sellers.
Old 12-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

I understand that it is a matter of principle, but truth be told this thing happens on eBay. Its all parts of the parcels of selling on there.

At the end of the day it is only a $13 item, and it may well cost you much more in time chasing them for this.
Old 12-02-2013

Swallow it and move on. Fight some battles, move on with others. Report her to eBay at least she has some history. You have her name and address - be *creative* with that.
Old 12-02-2013
Threadstarter  

I was actually thinking about dropping it. Till I got home and found a neg from her on my 2 year old 100% account!

As far as the legal fees, because of our legal insurance, we pay not a penny to an attorney. Just court costs. So now I'm thinking we can sue for liable as well since she lied in her fb.

This little #%+*! is already starting her adult life out scamming people and affecting their livelihood by leaving false negs for honest sellers. She has hurt sellers before me and I'm sure will continue as long as she gets away with it.
Old 12-02-2013

Good on you! If it really impacts your livelihood then do it if you think it's worth it. You mind as well request eBay to take away the negative while you're at it. Best of luck let me know how you go :-)
Old 12-02-2013

Talk her into reversing feedback, then you can drop the case.

You may be lucky to fly with 100% again.
Old 12-02-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoteBay View Post
Talk her into reversing feedback, then you can drop the case.

You may be lucky to fly with 100% again.
Sent FB request and also reported her to ebay with that new feature they have next to bad FB. Also talked to postmaster just now when I dropped packages off. She gave me a number to call and they will help me file the proper form for mail fraud. She also said they will need a police reort for their file. I'll start that in the morning, my local police and the police in her state. I have a ton of messages from her, with multiple inconsistencies in her story, hopefully that will help as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to paypalbites For This Useful Post:
MM78 (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by paypalbites View Post
Sent FB request and also reported her to ebay with that new feature they have next to bad FB. Also talked to postmaster just now when I dropped packages off. She gave me a number to call and they will help me file the proper form for mail fraud. She also said they will need a police reort for their file. I'll start that in the morning, my local police and the police in her state. I have a ton of messages from her, with multiple inconsistencies in her story, hopefully that will help as well.
Good luck! But remember, when you go LEGAL, it is not what you know, it is what you can prove in a COURT OF LAW.
Old 12-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

I honestly feel that this is what we as sellers must do to stop these idiots from continuing trying to scam people, put some fear in the buyer and see where it goes.

PayPalbites, take it as far as you can! this "girl" needs to be taught a lesson!!!
Old 12-02-2013
Threadstarter  

Been working on this mess since I got home today.

Bad news: I called the attorney referral service...they don't cover anything to do with business related issues. I guess that $15 bucks a month hasn't been so great lol.

Good, super duper good news!: I called ebay, to impatient to wait for my fb to be reviewed from the report button. Told them my side, he read all the messages back in forth, and checked all the awful fb she left for others. He REMOVED the neg, halleluiah!! That was my first shock. He also send he was was turning her into ebay something or another for her account to be reviewed for abuse and hopefully get her kicked off! I'm still in shock someone at ebay was actually on the sellers side

Currently on the phone with paypal (guy on ebay advised me to call them and tell them everything that has gone on), and have been on hold for 50 mins and counting.
Old 12-02-2013
Threadstarter  

On a side note, I checked to see if she has her sold anything on ebay. Only about 10 items since she joined last spring. 2 of which were new iphone 5s, along with batteries and a couple new video games. The iphones seem a little fishy for a jobless, just our of high school kid to have. Not that it has anything to do with my transaction, but she is just getting fishier buy the min.

Also searched her name on white pages. The addy she has listed on ebay is an apartment. The addy she gave me in her messages claiming that was her 'actual' address is a lot number in a trailer park, and the addy that white pages pulls up for her is yet a different address in another trailer park.
Old 12-02-2013
Threadstarter  

Wow, loads of typo's in those post's. Must make a mental note to proof-read first
Old 12-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Reporting online does nothing!!! I have had people with leaving nothing but negs try to scam me. Took the online reporting method and after weeks nothing happened. Called ebay customer support and nothing happened. Called ebay trust and safety and the person was banned within hour.
Old 12-02-2013

Easiest thing I've found recently to do with eBay and winning cases is to phone them and drop somewhere in the call that "It doesn't matter the outcome, as the lawyer is currently contacting ebay/paypal over the theft of money."

I've only done it once with an item that cost about $90, but had no tracking. It worked and Paypal reversed the charge, but I can't imagine the bluff working with every single claim.