Going back to an old account? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-19-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Going back to an old account?

Hello again!

A few months ago, I posted about a dilemma I was in. Short recap: Back in 2009 I'd been scammed by a buyer while using my long-held personal account, and walked away from it to avoid being forced into a refund. I opened an account under a false name several months later, and used it with success until a few months ago, when a calamity on my end resulted in a rash of low DSRs and a selling restriction I couldn't beat.

On the advice of the forum, I set up a 'stealth' account. I did everything correctly, EXCEPT that I tried to "cheat" by reusing an existing bank account. This likely was what led to said account's undoing - never got to even list anything.

So this time, I tried to learn from my mistake. New account with yet another ⊗⊗⊗⊗ name, new Paypal to match, new bank account with a new debit card. The account worked fine for several weeks. I bought about ten items, and got some positive feedback.

Then, this week, I tried listing my first item - one lot of used records (LPs, vinyl, you know - all on the up and up). The auction ran for three days with no problems. Then, this morning, I tried to log in and was asked to answer my security question - of which there was none. Tried again, got logged in, and was almost immediately slapped with an MC999, with my listed item cancelled.

Called eBay and got a very helpful woman who sounded like she'd be able to remove the restriction just by confirming my ZIP code and phone number. But when she went to call me back, I fumbled the phone and missed her call. That was that. Called back again, got a woman who got suspicious and wrote some notes on the account before transferring me to the "vetting department" (I knew it was all over then). Hung up, called back, and got yet another rep - a guy who tried to explain to me that I wasn't trustworthy if I wasn't willing to hand over my SSN. So, looks like this account is now toast as well.

THE QUESTION? I'm not ready to go through yet another cycle of stealth account building, and don't want to blow money buying one. It's been four years since my original account got into trouble. SO... do I dare to either log back into my old account (untouched since the original incident) and see if I can get things back on track? OR... do I dare to clear the slate and make another account, covering my tracks from the previous stealth attempts, but using my real name?

I have serious doubts about using my real name again; my gut reaction is that I'd just be wasting my time. But if the account has my real name on it, then perhaps I'd be able to answer any questions that arise and clear the hurdles, in order to succeed long-term. (I'm not doing anything shady - in an ideal world, I'd just like to have my first account back again and ride off into the sunset.)

Thoughts???
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 31%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Going back to an old account?

If you have not already gotten the guide and had a read though it that would be my first port of call.

It will answer all of your questions and point you in the right direction RE creating a new account.
Old 12-19-2013
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Re: Going back to an old account?

So I decided to make a new account with my real name - figured that, at worst, they'd just kick me out again... and if I'm already persona non grata, what's the harm?

IP changed. Cookies cleared. New email and phone number created.

Made a new business account, with my real name, and my real (and new-to-eBay) street address and business name. Paypal account created; no bank or CC linked yet. Started in on creating an auction for an item I'd never posted before, in a category in which I don't normally operate. Went through automated phone verification, but didn't set up a payment method (so the item was saved as a draft).

Then I left everything lay, pending creation of a new bank account and CC.

Within a couple hours, they'd slapped me with another MC999 ("recent activity has raised serious security concerns"). I figured this was the pre-emptive MC999 for new accounts, which I've seen discussed here... so I called up eBay to get it removed.

The rep I got was very helpful, and said he wanted to confirm my info. But he didn't really ask any of the personal questions I was expecting and prepared for; instead, he wanted to know what line of business I was in, where I got the merchandise from, if I had documentation to prove it (but no request to see any of it), and so on. Just general stuff. Then, he offered to reinstate me.

Within a few minutes, there it was - the message I'd been hoping for. "Thank you for providing proof of your identity and agreeing to the conditions for reinstatement. We’ve reinstated your account."

Of course, the real test will be whether or not my auctions stay running. But so far, so good! Knock on wood... hopefully this time it sticks.