FBA and Buy Box - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 12-21-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 64%
Default FBA and Buy Box

Hello Amazon Guru,

I have a question about FBA and Buy Box.

- If I create new seller and do FBA. (brand new account)
- The item's price will be equal or less compare to the one that already have the Buy Box for that item

Will I get the change to win the Buy Box when using FBA?

Thank you
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-21-2013

Longevity: 77%
Default Re: FBA and Buy Box

As long as you are not competing against amazon themselves or other fba seller then you re pretty much guaranteed the buy box, at least in all the categories that I sell in. Even on a new account. Just make sure the value is enough to make it stand alone fulfilled by amazon item rather than the not as good add on item.

Last edited by barrycruan; 12-21-2013 at 02:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to barrycruan For This Useful Post:
TonyAlmeida (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thank you very much Barry.

Never do FBA before. Also this is the first time I sale NEW products
Old 12-21-2013
Banned

Longevity: 69%

Tony, Barry is slightly wrong, I sell all my items FBA, I win the buy box every time even against amazon themselves. You have to play with prices. Usually if you are priced similar to a competitor the buy box is shared, that means it changes between sellers during the day. To beat amazon you have to find how many pence or cents you have to be cheaper than amazon to win the buy box. The category I am in its 29 cents and 29 pence cheaper. My category is fast moving goods. If you get your prices correct, you can sell 200 plus per item per day with the buybox. No buybox but cheaper than amazon maybe 20. 90% of customers don't actually realise they are buying of a 3rd party.
The Following User Says Thank You to MICKY H For This Useful Post:
TonyAlmeida (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013

Activity: 6%
Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKY H View Post
Tony, Barry is slightly wrong, I sell all my items FBA, I win the buy box every time even against amazon themselves. You have to play with prices. Usually if you are priced similar to a competitor the buy box is shared, that means it changes between sellers during the day. To beat amazon you have to find how many pence or cents you have to be cheaper than amazon to win the buy box. The category I am in its 29 cents and 29 pence cheaper. My category is fast moving goods. If you get your prices correct, you can sell 200 plus per item per day with the buybox. No buybox but cheaper than amazon maybe 20. 90% of customers don't actually realise they are buying of a 3rd party.
Just going to add 2 quick things to this great advise.
The buy box rotates after 1 sale. If seller 'A' makes a sale, then seller 'B' gets the buy box. Seller 'B' makes sale, then 'A' gets the box, and so on. (if both sellers have similar pricing and metrics).
Also be aware of pricing against AZ. Pretty sure they use pricing software to try to win the buy box back, and will keep trying to get the buy box back until they reach a pre-set minimum.
Just our experience.
Good luck with FBA
The Following User Says Thank You to Phd For This Useful Post:
TonyAlmeida (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKY H View Post
Thank you for the great information Micky
Old 12-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phd View Post
Just going to add 2 quick things to this great advise.
The buy box rotates after 1 sale. If seller 'A' makes a sale, then seller 'B' gets the buy box. Seller 'B' makes sale, then 'A' gets the box, and so on. (if both sellers have similar pricing and metrics).
Also be aware of pricing against AZ. Pretty sure they use pricing software to try to win the buy box back, and will keep trying to get the buy box back until they reach a pre-set minimum.
Just our experience.
Good luck with FBA
This is not true. Ive never never seen the buybox rotated when an item sells.

Sending FBA will get you the buybox, but there is way more into it then that.
Old 12-21-2013

Longevity: 60%

Please note:

You automatically lose Buy Box eligibility for all of your offers as soon as your ODR reaches 1%. You will then need to maintain an Order Defect Rate below 1% to regain this eligibility.
Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) offers are still eligible to win the Buy Box even if your ODR is above 1% as these items are delivered by Amazon. Moving to FBA when your ODR reaches 1% is a good way to secure your business, maintain your Buy Box eligibility and to improve your metrics quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to nedgraphics For This Useful Post:
TonyAlmeida (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
Then you are not looking close enough, I share buybox with various retailers. Please only state what is true and not what YOU have never seen. This is very misleading for other members.

Last edited by GreenBean; 12-27-2013 at 05:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MICKY H For This Useful Post:
TonyAlmeida (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013

[quote=MICKY H;513425]
Quote:

Then you are not looking close enough, I share buybox with various retailers. Please only state what is true and not what YOU have never seen. This is very misleading for other members.
I'm not sure how I was slightly wrong? If you are not competing against amazon/ other fba sellers and you are the lowest price you are guaranteed the buy box. If you are competing against them then you are not guaranteed the buy box, unless as you say price is lower by a certain percentage.

I'm not trying to start an argument but I have to say that you are wrong about the buy box rotating after a sale. It gets reassessed every 15 minutes according to amazon. If there are a lot of eligible sellers at a similar price then yes it can rotate a lot but it has nothing to do with making a sale. It is based on the sellers metrics and price.

I know because on some listings where I get 30% of the buy box in a day I will get say 15 sales in a hour then no sales for the next two hours. If the buy box changed after ever sale as phd suggested then sales would be consistent throughout the day.

Last edited by barrycruan; 12-22-2013 at 07:52 AM.
TonyAlmeida (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013

Price is not the end of buybox. There is much, way much more too it. I would suggest googling some info. On some items, I can be quite a bit higher then other sellers and still maintain the buybox.

And to confirm,*one* sale, does not mean the next seller gets the buybox. I watch it closely, 80% of my sales are FBA. I've learned quite a bit about the buybox. Its a beast in its own. Sometimes upsetting the Buybox can have a chain reaction for the worst.
The Following User Says Thank You to user3657 For This Useful Post:
TonyAlmeida (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013

To be honest price is about 95% of the criteria when competing against a rival competitor who's is not using fba. Even on a newish account and against a big seller I can still get the buy box for the whole day just by pricing an item 3p lower. I guess it depends on what category you sell in as my products are quite low cost electronics but I don't look at anything other than price and have never had a problem getting the buy box.
TonyAlmeida (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013

Quote:

Sending FBA will get you the buybox, but there is way more into it then that.
No offense, but that's like saying the lottery is fixed cause you haven't won it.

We are here to teach and learn, AND HAVE AN OPEN MIND.

If 2 people that have sold for years say it's true, delve deeper into it.

You may just better yourself and your business.
Old 12-22-2013
Banned

Everyone, you don't have to be the cheapest seller to get the buybox. You have to be the cheapest FBA seller or cheaper than amazon. I can sell goods £5 plus more expensive than the cheapest non FBA seller and maintain the buybox. Thats why FBA is so good.
BARRY, all I said was the buybox rotates with sellers on similar prices. Not the methods behind the rotation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MICKY H For This Useful Post:
Phd (12-22-2013), TonyAlmeida (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013

Fair enough then Micky. I know you can get the buy box without being the cheapest but it's normally only a difference of pennies so I don't try and second guess it. My bad if i did not make that clear.

Quote:
No offense, but that's like saying the lottery is fixed cause you haven't won it.

Sorry phd but you are completely wrong. Go and buy any item from amazon and the buy box will not change. That's not how it works. It's fair enough telling people to have an open mind, but you should take your own advice as 100% guaranteed the buy box does not change with every sale. I can give you a screen shot of listings where I have the buy box 100% for the day.

Last edited by barrycruan; 12-22-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-22-2013

We sell in home and garden, and pets, and have seen this quite often, EXCEPT when AZ is a seller of record. Then all bets are off.
The only category we have seen it not happen in, is electronics.

Which category are you not seeing the buy box rotate Barry?

Maybe we can find out which works, and which doesn't.

Sorry for the "open mind" post, but some people post with an ego and a chip on their shoulder.
Old 12-22-2013

Quote:
We sell in home and garden, and pets, and have seen this quite often, EXCEPT when AZ is a seller of record. Then all bets are off.
The only category we have seen it not happen in, is electronics.

Which category are you not seeing the buy box rotate Barry?

Maybe we can find out which works, and which doesn't.

Sorry for the "open mind" post, but some people post with an ego and a chip on their shoulder.
I sell in electronics. if someone has the same price as me then the buy box does rotate. But if my price is the lowest by around 3p and everything stays the same I have the buy box 100% of the time. I know price is not the only criteria but in my category it seems to be.
Old 12-23-2013

Electronics in the U.S. (for some reason) works really different.

My guess is the person creating the page has the buy box (only a guess).
They can be 10-20$ more than a number of sellers, but still get the buy box.
Have seen very good sellers on these pages with much better pricing (including us) but it seems almost impossible to get the buy box.

Just can't figure that category out yet.
Old 12-23-2013

Quote:

Didnt mean to come off like that. I've just never witnessed that in either electronics or video games.
Old 12-23-2013
Executive [VIP]

I dont have experience of the buy box and I wouldn't use the FBA, However the only thing I will add to this is be careful of competing with Amazon on price. They know what price they can get most things and being the size they are they know the price is the cheapest they can get it. If you undercut them too much they really dont like it and they often always take action to take you down.

Just my two pence worth
Old 12-23-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmastermind View Post
I dont have experience of the buy box and I wouldn't use the FBA, However the only thing I will add to this is be careful of competing with Amazon on price. They know what price they can get most things and being the size they are they know the price is the cheapest they can get it. If you undercut them too much they really dont like it and they often always take action to take you down.

Just my two pence worth
I have competed against amazon for many years and had no repercussions. Yes had accounts deleted and suspended but not for this reason. Our company is also a UK vendor to amazon.co.uk and I can assure you they don't but at the lowest price available. What we have noticed amazon.co.uk will buy an item from us say for £8.00 but happily sell it for £7.00.
Old 12-25-2013

Longevity: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmastermind View Post

Just my two pence worth

You don't have experience with buy box nor FBA so what are you basing your statement on? I have a lot of experience and I have many products I undercut Amazon on and have never had an issue. That's my experience.