Does EIN number need to match the name? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 01-06-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 59%
Default Does EIN number need to match the name?

EIN is mostly used for the business and PP requires SSN or EIN for above 20k sales.

I know SSN must match the person's name or PP will reject it after a few days.

Question! Does EIN number have to match with business owner?

For example, if my EIN number is registered with IRS under name of: John Smith
and may PayPal is under name of Mark Davis and I put EIN name for our business which is registered under name of John Smith to PayPal and PP is under name of Mark Davis.

Will PP know this and rejected or EIN doesn't matter to be under correct person name?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-06-2014

Longevity: 61%
Default re: Does EIN number need to match the name?

I think the match or not match for EIN comes down to the business name not the person name, not 100% sure though so someone else could say.
Old 01-06-2014

Longevity: 79%
Send a message via AIM to fineart Send a message via Yahoo to fineart Send a message via Skype™ to fineart

Technically it does not have to match.The problem is that once you a get an EIN it will be public records in 24 hours. The document they send you will also show your name.My name clearly comes up under Sunbiz with my business name attached to it. Proceed with caution.
Old 01-06-2014

Longevity: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineart View Post
Technically it does not have to match.The problem is that once you a get an EIN it will be public records in 24 hours. The document they send you will also show your name.My name clearly comes up under Sunbiz with my business name attached to it. Proceed with caution.
Yikes! I didn't realize you could do this. I thought they could only go to the state you have the business in and you could hide your name by using a registered agent.

I just googled EIN database search and there are a bunch. However, if all other info is different do you think they will link with just the same name.
I have about 5 Amazon Stealth accounts under EINs and have never been linked, all are same name
Old 01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly441 View Post
Yikes! I didn't realize you could do this. I thought they could only go to the state you have the business in and you could hide your name by using a registered agent.

I just googled EIN database search and there are a bunch. However, if all other info is different do you think they will link with just the same name.
I have about 5 Amazon Stealth accounts under EINs and have never been linked, all are same name
You can in fact use a registered agent and I would think that would show on those DB searches as that's what goes on the form, yes? This is another reason I said I believe a PP check would only be match/no match for business name and not individual name.
Old 01-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

If you apply for an EIN as a corporation, partnership or LLC, the name of the BUSINESS must match what the IRS has on file. If you apply for an EIN as a sole proprietor, then YOUR NAME must match what is on file with the IRS.

EIN databases are NOT provided by the IRS. The IRS does not give out information on EIN's except when required to do so by law.

In my experience, eBay/PP/Amazon do NOT look up corporate records, although they certainly could if they wanted to.

The bottom line is that EIN's work fine as long as they are for a corporation, partnership or LLC.

To Kelly441, your Amazon stealths COULD BE linked. But most likely ONLY if there is a problem with one of the accounts and then only if there are other similarities. If you meant that the business names are all different, then you should be fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
glacier922 (01-28-2014), outofluck (01-31-2015), prodigyace (01-15-2018)
Old 01-06-2014

there seems to be many EIN database searches online.

ein database search - Yahoo!7 Search Results

I'm thinking maybe I should just pay legalzoom to get my ein so my name doesn't show up there.

Yes, I was saying if ALL other info was different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
If you apply for an EIN as a corporation, partnership or LLC, the name of the BUSINESS must match what the IRS has on file. If you apply for an EIN as a sole proprietor, then YOUR NAME must match what is on file with the IRS.

EIN databases are NOT provided by the IRS. The IRS does not give out information on EIN's except when required to do so by law.

In my experience, eBay/PP/Amazon do NOT look up corporate records, although they certainly could if they wanted to.

The bottom line is that EIN's work fine as long as they are for a corporation, partnership or LLC.

To Kelly441, your Amazon stealths COULD BE linked. But most likely ONLY if there is a problem with one of the accounts and then only if there are other similarities. If you meant that the business names are all different, then you should be fine.
Old 01-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

There ARE many EIN databases, mostly compiled by the credit bureaus, but none are complete. There is no "one list" to go to for business tax-ID's.

Unless you give out your tax-id, like when applying for credit, they have no way of picking it up.
Old 01-06-2014

That's a relief. I get my own Eins for free and I usually wait a few months to see if the accounts stick before getting a business license. People don't realize you can get the EIN first and the license some time later.
Old 01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly441 View Post
That's a relief. I get my own Eins for free and I usually wait a few months to see if the accounts stick before getting a business license. People don't realize you can get the EIN first and the license some time later.
Ya I do my EINs on the IRS site, you get your number instantly
The Following User Says Thank You to bombora For This Useful Post:
Kelly441 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 59%

Quote:

Basically, my own name and address is banned and suspended for life from eBay. Long story!
Anyway, so your suggestion is to apply for EIN partnership and just pick a business name and register it under that name to eBay and PP?
Wont eBay force me to send them ID card if they only see a business name?
Old 01-07-2014

Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenice View Post
Basically, my own name and address is banned and suspended for life from eBay. Long story!
Anyway, so your suggestion is to apply for EIN partnership and just pick a business name and register it under that name to eBay and PP?
Wont eBay force me to send them ID card if they only see a business name?
I have no experience with using an EIN as I am
new to stealth, but I am thinking
that the business name is not a problem,
as long as it matches the IRS records.
So what if pp see a business name that looks
like a person's name?
There are many companies out there that have
their name after the name of the owner. In fact
there are too many companies with those boring
names IMO.
I think the stealth guide suggest that you go with
a process of registered a DBA (doing business as),
and you can make up any name you want, and use
this name for starting a business, register to pp
or any other business purposes and it is
perfectly legal to do so. Again, I might be missing
something, but this is what I can remember the stealth
guide suggested. I have to go over it again...
might be useful in the future.

Last edited by gonzoman; 01-07-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2014

Longevity: 76%

Quote:
I'm really confused by this. If you apply for an EIN as an LLC, don't you have to apply as a sole proprietor as well? On the SS-4 form, question 9a is "Type of Entity" and LLC is not a choice. "Sole Proprietor" is the only possible choice for most sellers.

Last edited by crocus; 03-25-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I'm really confused by this. If you apply for an EIN as an LLC, don't you have to apply as a sole proprietor as well? On the SS-4 form, question 9a is "Type of Entity" and LLC is not a choice. "Sole Proprietor" is the only possible choice for most sellers.
You are much mistaken.
Old 03-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
You are much mistaken.
Please explain, I'm getting a headache trying to wrap my brain around this.
Old 03-25-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote:
Please explain, I'm getting a headache trying to wrap my brain around this.
Sole Proprietor is a individual doing business(self employed per say) an LLC, corp, LLP, etc.. are a legal entity of its own.

Anyone can own a corp, LLC, etc.... and corps and LLC can own other corps and LLC, etc...

a Sole Proprietor is YOU doing business as you.
Old 03-25-2014

That's pretty obvious and doesn't address my question. Have you ever applied for an EIN? What do you put in 9a?
Old 03-25-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Quote:
That's pretty obvious and doesn't address my question. Have you ever applied for an EIN? What do you put in 9a?
Are you filling a paper application I'm assuming and not online??

I have applied and received a couple instantly in the past online, it's been awhile but it asks you whether you are an LLC, Sole Prop., Corp, etc, not sure why you are getting confused, when applying for the EIN you need to just answer questions on how your business is set up , this is all things you should have on record whether you formed an LLC, or Corp Etc
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
yankee (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014

Thanks Dmshark25, I just went through most of the online process and it is as you say (and as jeffweico says).

[edit]

I figured out the form. Silly me, I didn't read the instructions all the way through. At the very end it says for 9a you select "Other" and write in "disregarded entity".

Last edited by crocus; 03-25-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2014

Longevity: 77%

Hi,

I have a stealth eb pp account with a totally different name that got hit today with the requirement to submit the tax id number to pp. I am opting to send the EIN number so I applied for one online and got it immediately. About an hour earlier I created an LLC in Florida as a Sole Member.

The following is what PP wants from me according to their instructions on the website:

" Business Entities with an EIN
If you operate through a business legal entity such as a corporation or partnership you will need to provide your company EIN and company name. [Notice they don't include LLC's here.]

Sole Proprietors with an EIN
If you operate as a sole proprietor using an EIN you will need to provide your company EIN and your own name. Do not provide a business name or a DBA name ("Doing Business As") with your EIN."

So... I am hoping that the fact that I am a Sole Member (Disregarded Entity) is not the same as being a Sole Proprietor, and that they will be ok with me doing the following:

1. changing the business name on my PP account (which is a business account) to my new LLC's business name
2. entering my new LLC's business name and its new EIN number

Is this correct? or will the account be limited because the name in the account is not mine?