Angry buyer question - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-28-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%
Default Angry buyer question

I got an angry buyer. He's sent multiple all caps emails since I told him I will give him a full refund upon return.

He claimed item not as described which a load of crap.

He wants me to pay his return shipping which I'm not inclined to do even if that means a negative.

I believe he is so hot in the collar no matter what I do he'll leave a neg.

My question is, if I give him a full refund, item price and shipping ( not return shipping) which will close his case, can he leave negative ?

Does he have the power through his item not as described dispute to have eBay to force me to refund his return shipping?

Last edited by GreenBean; 01-29-2014 at 02:46 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-28-2014

Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Angry buyer question

Yes even After you process his full refund he could still leave a negative feedback
Old 01-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%

He can leave a neg even after the case is closed.

He cannot force EB to get you to issue a refund for his return costs
Old 01-28-2014

Longevity: 61%

like Grimmejaw & JamesNorth101 he still can leave neg feedback but you can commet on that feedback also you can make a claim with ebay to have it removed.
Old 01-28-2014

I would be nice and if he returns it and leaves a neg. I would report buyer as trying to extort return charges.
Old 01-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

Careful, just because you report for extortion does not mean that ebay will ban/remove the feedback for that 'TYPE' of extortion.
Old 01-28-2014

Longevity: 60%

If he's wanting to return it as not as described, let him open a case and make sure you retaliate, saying that you'll provide a full refund upon it being returned.

At that stage if he still demands postage wait for the claim to come to it's natural expiry - if the buyer doesn't ship it with a tracking code the case will close in your favour and he'll keep the item and you'll keep the money, but I'm not sure if you'll be protected from negative feedback.
Old 01-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

The OP should also be aware that some "Not As Described" claims can REALLY hurt a seller. On a used book, if the claim is the book is in only "fair" condition when the seller listed it in "good condition" that is minor.

But if the claim is that the new laptop was actually refurbished, then that could end up causing trouble for the seller. Or, if the buyer is claiming an item is counterfeit, that could hurt as well.

You need to ask yourself, "does the buyer have a legitimate complaint"? If so, you might want to be nice and offer to pay for the return shipping. YES, the buyer could STILL leave a negative. Some buyers cannot be reasoned with - they will complain to eBay that you sell broken items, even though it was clearly damaged in shipping and other things like that. And some people are out there just LOOKING for a reason to complain about something - ANYTHING - because they are miserable people. The bottom line is, the quicker you make this go away - as quietly as possible - the better off you will be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
biglouis999 (01-30-2014), GreenBean (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014

Longevity: 59%

I had a customer claim item not as described and when I indicated in the resolution center that I would issue a full refund on return of the item, eBay found in favour of the buyer. He never had to return the product, I lost the money, the shipping, and he left a negative. I'm not sure how eBay came to the conclusion that he didn't need to return the item but god's honest truth, I sent out a high quality, accurate item and none of it mattered :(
Old 01-29-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataripoff View Post
I had a customer claim item not as described and when I indicated in the resolution center that I would issue a full refund on return of the item, eBay found in favour of the buyer. He never had to return the product, I lost the money, the shipping, and he left a negative. I'm not sure how eBay came to the conclusion that he didn't need to return the item but god's honest truth, I sent out a high quality, accurate item and none of it mattered :(

I've seen this before on another acct. My larger issue with ebay is buyers default to NOT AS DESCRIBED which instantly makes us the bad guys even though its driven by buyers remorse or not actually ready the listing.

Ebay should put in an option for "I would like to request a return."
Old 01-29-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
The OP should also be aware that some "Not As Described" claims can REALLY hurt a seller. On a used book, if the claim is the book is in only "fair" condition when the seller listed it in "good condition" that is minor.

But if the claim is that the new laptop was actually refurbished, then that could end up causing trouble for the seller. Or, if the buyer is claiming an item is counterfeit, that could hurt as well.

You need to ask yourself, "does the buyer have a legitimate complaint"? If so, you might want to be nice and offer to pay for the return shipping. YES, the buyer could STILL leave a negative. Some buyers cannot be reasoned with - they will complain to eBay that you sell broken items, even though it was clearly damaged in shipping and other things like that. And some people are out there just LOOKING for a reason to complain about something - ANYTHING - because they are miserable people. The bottom line is, the quicker you make this go away - as quietly as possible - the better off you will be.
REst assured , i described in detail with lots of spec and detail photos. the guys being a bit dickish, other wise my reaction would be different.
Old 01-29-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaynor101 View Post
If he's wanting to return it as not as described, let him open a case and make sure you retaliate, saying that you'll provide a full refund upon it being returned.

At that stage if he still demands postage wait for the claim to come to it's natural expiry - if the buyer doesn't ship it with a tracking code the case will close in your favour and he'll keep the item and you'll keep the money, but I'm not sure if you'll be protected from negative feedback.
what the time frame for case to expire?

In this case he's already shipped it back. I should have it shortly.
Old 01-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml3030 View Post
I would be nice and if he returns it and leaves a neg. I would report buyer as trying to extort return charges.
Not a given ebay will remove your comments.

Be careful what you say.
Old 01-29-2014
MU

Longevity: 84%

You can always call up ebay and see if they will care about sellers Today : )
Old 01-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skys The Limit View Post
No - not always recommended
Old 01-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skys The Limit View Post
Bad move to expose yourself to ebay.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
IGN_Mikey (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

How experienced of a buyer is this guy? Whats his other feedback left for others look like? I think the approach I would take is to send a cancel transaction request. However I think this can only be done after you issue the refund, but I am not sure. Can it be marked as "payment not received" or "un-mark as paid" then cancel the transaction? You can always issue the refund without going through eBay. If it can be done, I would not issue the refund until he agrees to cancel. After that, he cannot leave feedback. I could be wrong but that's my opinion.
Old 01-30-2014

Longevity: 64%

It is not worth having account troubles. I would just revise my fb, but very diplomatically after buyer leaves theirs. Some buyers are so very angry at the world and what better thing to do but hide behind a keyboard to be a "tough guy".

I sell a very specialized item where my cost averages $50 or more. A lot of buyers want it for nothing so they try to loudly complain and yet don't want to return the item and expect a full refund. I actually had a guy start complaining before he even receive it and cuss me out & threaten me. Of course I get a little upset but have to keep my eye on the prize.

Last edited by joesshooze; 01-30-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2014

Longevity: 86%

I would do whatever is going to cause you the least worry or hassle, as some posters have already suggested.

If you have a very high feedback number then one person leaving a neg to say yous sell phakes or damaged goods is not going to harm you. However if you have less feedback themn you have to work to protect it.

I would also say no matter how nasty the buyer is dont rise to the bait. Just deal with the issue at hand in a professional manner.

I have had nasty buyers angrily accuse me of deliberately sending a broken item when something was damaged in transit. I did not even rely to this accusation but concentrated on dealing with the practicalities and saying something like:-

"Dear buyer, Im so sorry to hear your item was damaged in transit. We do try to pack carefully but sometimes the post office still manages to crush a box. We will be happy to provide a full refund on production of clear photographic evidence of the damage. ..."
Old 02-03-2014
Threadstarter  

Got the item back. Issued a refund , he left a nasty feed back.

I wish they would let sellers leave feedback for buyers.
Old 02-03-2014

DSR's are too important these days to have him angry....give the guy his money back as long as he's agrees to cancel the transaction, so you will get your fees back...as soon as he hits the agree to cancel transaction button, he is froze out from leaving you feedback...
Old 02-03-2014

DSR's are more important than actual feedback....NEXT TIME, offer full refund as long as he agrees to cancel the transaction, so you can get your fees back. As soon as he clicks the cancel button, he is froze out from leaving you any feedback. Works ever time for me.