Don't want to get scammed. Advice please :) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-29-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%
Default Don't want to get scammed. Advice please :)

Hey all!

I apologise in advance for quite a long post, however in my experience prevention is better than cure, so I would like to pick everyone's brains regarding staying away from getting scammed!

Ok. So my business is selling large bulky expensive items, mainly antiques. Nothing too interesting however they are worth a lot of money. I only sell a few items a month, but each one can sell for £400 - £800. Before I was doing collection only and asking for cash upon collection, however I have now realised that my market will be much larger if I ship my items. What I'm worried about is, as the buyer isn't inspecting the item before collecting it, what happens if they claim the item has something wrong with it after the courier has delivered their item? Delivery costs are around £100 which is very expensive. Will I have to pay for it to be returned to me? It states in my listings that the items are old and will have dents and scratches from age etc. will not be perfect. But I'm still worried someone will complain and I'll have to pay for delivery to get my item back :/.

Are there any other ways someone can scam me when shipping my items with a courier???

All and any advice is appreciated!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Don't want to get scammed. Advice please :)

Best way to avoid this is to take lots and lots of pictures and describe your item in every detail.

You should also be able to find delivery costs for less than that if you search about
Old 01-30-2014

Longevity: 64%

OP, in my description I make it clear that buyer pays return shipping.

I also have to figure into my cost of doing business is a return on my dime once in a while. I loose at least one item a month to unreasonable buyers.

JamesNorth101 gave you some good advice too.
Old 01-30-2014

Longevity: 86%

With expensive items like this you need to use a courier who collects a signature on delivery and online tracking.

If a buyer initiates a "not as described" dispute with Paypal they have to send it back tracked at their expense before Paypal will release the funds to them.

I also sell vintage items and although they are not usually large or heavy they can be in the £300 upwards range. I send them either wirh Fedex for overseas packages or with Royal Mail Airsure which collects a signature on delivery.

Yes you can get scammers but if you strictly follow Paypals rules then you should be covered by seller protection.
Old 01-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglouis999 View Post
I send them either wirh Fedex for overseas packages or with Royal Mail Airsure which collects a signature on delivery.
Just FYI, AirSure does not collect signature on delivery. It does track it and mark it as delivered, but no signature.
Old 01-30-2014
Speeder33

Longevity: 0%

if they do send it back, please record yourself opening the package to make sure they don't send you a ton of bricks
Old 02-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglouis999 View Post

If a buyer initiates a "not as described" dispute with Paypal they have to send it back tracked at their expense before Paypal will release the funds to them.
but can't they do NAD through ebay were the odds are on the buyers side. I have had them side with the buyer with no return of my item. Then ebay send a survey on how I feel the dispute process went.
Old 02-01-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

There is no way to protect yourself 100% from scammers. HOWEVER: as it has already been mentioned, if your listings are honest about the condition, and photos taken of all areas of an item, that will reduce any complaints right there. You also MUST use delivery confirmation with signature and ONLY ship to the address given by eBay/PayPal. NEVER ship an expensive item to an address that is not PayPal verified.

Sometimes, right after someone buys an item from me, they will send a message saying something, like "I messed up the order, can you please send this to: with a different name and address". NEVER, EVER, EVER do this!

Since shipping is expensive, it makes sense to make the buyer ship the item back if they decide they don't like it. You could also negotiate at that point - like offer to knock off £50 or something. Sometimes buyers will go for that. Given what it costs to ship the item, you might be better off doing that than re-selling it.

Last edited by jeffweico; 02-01-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2014
Threadstarter  

Thanks guys some amazing advice here. The ton of bricks in the return package is one I have heard of before, as is the address not on paypal. I've heard of people doing this to shops like curries when they return a TV, putting bricks inside and revealing the box with the staples used in the factory. Saying it's unopened etc.

I already take photos that are very detailed etc and make it so that they know every tiny problem so I hope they won't open a NAD claim, those are the ones I truely worry about. Can they refuse to ship the item back to me and get a refund still though?

Last edited by GreenBean; 02-01-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyamnezia View Post
Can they refuse to ship the item back to me and get a refund still though?
Very rarely. Sometimes PP will refund them out of their own pocket, but this does not often happen
Old 02-01-2014
Threadstarter  

That's good then. Let's hope no scamming occurs for a little while whilst I find my feet lol