Paypal asked for documents - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 02-08-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 59%
Default Paypal asked for documents

Hey everyone. About 15 minutes ago, PayPal called to ask about what I was selling. The call ended with the rep telling me that in 20 minutes or so I'll be getting an email requesting invoices for greater transparency with my business.

This is all good, I have that information. I verified the number I was called from is indeed PayPal. As I was writing this, I just received the 'Your account has been limited until we hear from you' email.

Before November I rarely used my account, in November about $1,500 moved through, ~$2,000 in December, ~$4,000 in January.

Everything I've done is legal and legit. I'm believing I expanded too quickly.

My question is - is it worth providing invoices and whatever other documents they request to try to save my account? PayPal's not providing me with the information I need to know they're not breaking any laws or the ToS...

Edit: This is a true name, nonstealth account in question here

Edit 2: Possibly relevant: Last night I dropped my PP balance from ~$140 to ~$40. The low balance and high number of transactions may have been flags. The PayPal rep was very polite and I was polite in return, I don't know what sort of difference, if any, it will make.

Last edited by xfifly; 02-08-2014 at 04:09 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-08-2014
roberto

Longevity: 0%
Default re: Paypal asked for documents

50% of times where paypal has asked me to send documents to verify account. After sending the documents, they ban the account indefinitely. So its like they already decided this accounts not getting reinstated. but lets waste the guys time and ask for docs and give him false hope
Old 02-08-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Ouch.

They claim a credit check prompted their investigation (they have my SS, but I find this odd). I'm not sure how as I have a decent credit score and nothing negative (except inquiries). It makes me feel like they pulled a reason out of their hat and that my prospects are grim.

It's disgusting that PayPal doesn't operate like a regular financial institution.

I went ahead, gathered, and sent them the invoices and contact information they requested. I'll post updates in this thread so people can follow it and piece together a better understanding of PP's internal operations

Last edited by GreenBean; 02-08-2014 at 05:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xfifly For This Useful Post:
emings5 (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%

It's good that they don't operate like a regular financial institution, otherwise they'll all require ssn and we'd be done!
Old 02-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: Paypal asked for documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfifly View Post
Ouch.

They claim a credit check prompted their investigation (they have my SS, but I find this odd). I'm not sure how as I have a decent credit score and nothing negative (except inquiries). It makes me feel like they pulled a reason out of their hat and that my prospects are grim.
Nothing odd at all.

Go read their T&S

They cleverly word the facts they can do what they want.

Sadly your pattern of using the account appears to have tripped flags.

Hope for a good outcome for you.

Old 02-08-2014

Longevity: 65%

I don't see a reason to be worried. It's a real account selling legit items.

I think it will be reinstated soon. Just give them what they want.
Old 02-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 63%

Why is PP allowed to run a credit check without permission? It has always been my understanding that a credit check must have permission, especially if it is not a financial institution. Inquiries hurt you credit score if you have too many in a certain period of time, or at least that has been my understanding.
Old 02-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjammin View Post
Why is PP allowed to run a credit check without permission? It has always been my understanding that a credit check must have permission, especially if it is not a financial institution. Inquiries hurt you credit score if you have too many in a certain period of time, or at least that has been my understanding.

Dont be fooled that paypal are doing this without permission.

I do not have access to my precise notes,bjammin, or I would give you the date it happened but here's the scoop.....

(Subject to confirming) paypal changed its T&S in late 2012. They expressed their rights to do what they wanted to check accounts & info given to them.

That alluded to their right to go to outside parties for info.

Here's the trouble. Users who joined paypal ACCEPTED their T&S.

Even though they may never have read the rules by joining up to use paypal, they exposed themselves to this possibility. I collect info from different sources. Accounts with SSN attached are amongst those that have this occur.

Old 02-09-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjammin View Post
Hard inquiries are to check someone for credit worthiness. Soft inquiries on the other hand do not impact your credit score and don't show on your report, so a lot of people aren't aware of them.

Edit: And yes, they need explicit permission to perform a credit check. I've given them permission in the past
Old 02-09-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,920 Times in 8,212 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfifly View Post

Edit: This is a true name, nonstealth account in question here
Because it's a true name account, makes it even more worth cooperating well with PP and saving this account - it is possible - best of luck
Old 02-09-2014

Longevity: 86%

Is it possible you have simply hit one of those limits of $$ passing through your account by which PP wish to re-check you are legit?

This happens regularly to us in the EU. They seem to choose arbitrary amounts. I have had it twice, emailed them the documents and it was sorted within 24 hours.
Old 02-12-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

I had only few issues over a year with paypal,and found that they are great, I never was limited and had to wait 6 months for funds, I was limited 3 times and another per feature they have is ur able to upload docs rather than fax and all 3 times I sent the docs and within 2 hours restored
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
glacier922 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014

Activity: 3%
Longevity: 69%

jus send through stealth documents and you will be fine