Storage Question??? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers

Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers Discuss Dropshipping on/off eBay, Amazon, Shopify, Etsy and other platforms.

Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%
Default Storage Question???

So I have been adding inventory like crazy. At max capacity at the house. Got one bathroom where I actually filled up the guest bathroom with boxes. Literally inventory sitting in the bathtub on the sink etc. Can barely close the door.

Having to move like 6 boxes to get to one. Getting very frustrating so something need to change.

Was curious if anyone rents a storage unit? I just hate to pay someone monthly then have to go to the darn place if I need to pick anything up. I was thinking about maybe buying a large shed or something to fit in the back yard for some of the slower moving inventory. In a relatively Mild climate yr round to the heat or cold is not a real issue.

If anyone can give me any advice experience. Anything they have bought to store items. I am not a great judge of space but I think I have about 300-400 sq feet of space in the back that I could put some kind of Shed or something in.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: Storage Question???

First check your local council that such out buildings are permitted.

That can determine what to obtain.

For our storage needs in both WA state & the UK, we got shipping containers.

We picked side door opening for easier access. Ideal for any sort of weather conditions. Certainly big enough for storage.

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-03-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2014

Longevity: 58%
Send a message via AIM to MDThedoc

Time to buy a house of your own and use the garage, spare bedrooms as storage instead.

Its time to be the grown man you have come to be
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Haha, I was thinking more like buying a large storage shed from the Home Depot or one of those places. Was curious if anyone had any recommendations on what they have done.

Yes, I live in an unincorporated area no HOA issues so it is not a problem. But very good advice Greenie.
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDThedoc View Post
Time to buy a house of your own and use the garage, spare bedrooms as storage instead.

Its time to be the grown man you have come to be
Let me introduce MDThedoc been a personal friend of mine going back to Middle School. eBay stealther going back to about 2008. Trying to give me a hard time but he knows very much about what he is talking bout.
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Doubt if you are going to get a big enough shed from Home Depot.

Sandy has the info on this.

ebayhateluv used be the storage Queen too. At one point ( going back to 2007) she had trailers all over her property.

I am talking serious, and organised, selling here.

We already have our stock for the new seasons. Stock that 'might' be moved is at hand.
It's so much easier to be able to access what is for sale quickly.
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

SandyD is the Queen of eBay atleast here in the US. I have all the respect for her in the world. Unfortunately I am looking for moderate sized storage. Maybe one or two outdoor sheds. Not a huge space.

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-04-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2014
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

If you are planning on expanding big time for the future you will outgrow and storage shed in your yard. Or even two of them.

I used a very large storage unit at a local locked and gated storage unit and have the unit right beside the office.

I only use this storage unit for CL pick ups and storage of items that are listed on CL.

You can easily store items in mild weather in this.

Being as picky as I am I go into one of these and bomb them to death and spray like crazy because one thing I cannot stand is nasty people and their bugs.

I only use this unit for CL items, local ebay pickups etc.

I have a warehouse where I store all of my other inventory that is used, such as antiques, collectibles etc. I like it because I can drive in one side, unload, drive right back out the other side. It has office like area that is covered and air conditioned because living in Florida it can be hot at certain times of the year and it is nice. I have several of those metal shelving units like you see at Home Depot, Sams Club etc to store items.

Fragile items are always stored carefully in certain areas.

I sort my items by category so I know where a particular item is.

Items such as new things I purchase such as jerseys, hats and other new items I purchase are all stored in totes and labeled.

I have an area of work where the items can be cleaned, pictured etc.

Another area for current listed items and another area for those items we want to get listed soon. Another area for items sold and ready to be pack to ship.

Do a cost analysis of your storage shed. If you can rent a larger storage unit and have easy access to it and ever sell on CL this is the way to go.

I can see as ambitious as you are you will likely outgrow those storage sheds. I believe the largest is what 18'x24'? You could outgrow that quickly.

In Amish country in Ohio they make them much bigger like a garage but places like Home Depot I believe 18x24 might be the largest.

Since we live in a gated community with a mad HOA we are not allowed to have any outside buildings at all so the only items usually at my home is new items I am researching or very valuable antique items.

I do not like to bring anything into my home that ever belonged to another person because of the cleanliness issues I have with some things.

Overly picky yes, but after buying estates almost my entire life I have learned that people can be a bit on the nasty side and you can get issues real quick if you purchased items from an estate or auction house.

Also, if you are planning on buying from estates, take your own totes and packing materials. I never ever use their boxes or paper. I take every home in my own totes and my own packing.

S Cal is known for its swap meets, if I live in your area I would be all over that area picking like mad.

Do not miss out on CL sales. I am very careful who I met with an only met with someone at the storage unit and only when the manager or my DH is present.

Send me a pm if you have any other questions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
ilcarletto (03-04-2014), signal63 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks Sandy. As of right now. The outside shed is not a problem. As long as I am using it for more than about 4 months pencils out compared to most storage units. Personally trying to move out of the Nor Cal area south~ish to NV or AZ. Which because of the desert may prove problematic at some point.

Overall just don't have much room left. I have one pretty nice plastic storage shed (with moderate weather here is ok) already that was $300 and I had to spend another $150+ on wood to build a base and keep it out the elements. Probably going to buy another similar of the same thing. I guess when you get to this point it is "one of those good problems".
Old 03-03-2014
Banned

Yes it is a good problem.

At some point I can see you outgrowing any of these storage units.

You are a go getter and go getter types are always on the hunt for more product to sell.

Remember what I told you, money is made buying, not selling. Anyone can sell but not everyone can buy the right products. If you do not have products in hand ready to sell you are losing potential money.

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-04-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2014

Takes money to make money, and you gotta have the money to spend money....obviously. Knowing what sells is very important, tasting yourself the buyers taste's. That feeling you get when you look at something and you are like holy, that's going to sell. These are all needed
Old 03-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%

I use mom and pop storage places who don't give a d@mn what I put in there as long as the bills are paid. Just look for smaller places that just want money. Storage costs money, but if you are selling a lot, who cares? I don't even notice small charges like that as long as my products keep moving.

Unless you go the shed route instead.
Old 03-04-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
I use mom and pop storage places who don't give a d@mn what I put in there as long as the bills are paid. Just look for smaller places that just want money. Storage costs money, but if you are selling a lot, who cares? I don't even notice small charges like that as long as my products keep moving.

Unless you go the shed route instead.
Yea, good point. Would for the most part be throwing excess inventory in there I really didn't need. Just hate to spend the cash on storage units when I could buy some storage and throw in a place I have room. But thanks for the post.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,248 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 60%

@ Sandy D:

I like reading your posts, always impressive the way you run your business.

If I had time I'd like to come over and meet you in person.
It would be a good idea for a documentary movie the way you run your business on Ebay... no joke, I am serious.
Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to ilcarletto For This Useful Post:
Sandy D (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

I put in a few outdoor sheds at my house way back when I was big on heavy selling - I have a big backyard so they fit well.

I got them from Home Depot actually
Old 03-04-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
I put in a few outdoor sheds at my house way back when I was big on heavy selling - I have a big backyard so they fit well.

I got them from Home Depot actually
RSOT you are one of my favorite members on the site. I was know it is much colder up north than it is here for me. But what kind of Sheds did you end up getting? I know there are plastic cheaper ones which work here for me but they are small none the less. Lots of build your own wood ones. Lots of metal sheds as well. Was hoping someone on Craigslist would be giving one away but no such luck.
Old 03-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
RSOT you are one of my favorite members on the site. I was know it is much colder up north than it is here for me. But what kind of Sheds did you end up getting? I know there are plastic cheaper ones which work here for me but they are small none the less. Lots of build your own wood ones. Lots of metal sheds as well. Was hoping someone on Craigslist would be giving one away but no such luck.
I got these 2:

Suncast | Blow Molded Storage Shed - 7 Feet x 7 Feet | Home Depot Canada

Lifetime Products | Lifetime 8’ x 10’ Storage Shed | Home Depot Canada

Plastic yes but with steel-reinforcement.

(Thanks for the big-up )
Old 03-04-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcarletto View Post
@ Sandy D:

I like reading your posts, always impressive the way you run your business.

If I had time I'd like to come over and meet you in person.
It would be a good idea for a documentary movie the way you run your business on Ebay... no joke, I am serious.
Thanks.
Thank you.

Lots of hard work and it has paid off.

Many long hours and years of it.

But, being able to do what you want, travel like I have, buy what you want and need and go where you want keeps me going.

My future plans are to write some ebooks. Just do not have the time yet.

Being your own boss, making your own hours and having the freedom to come and go as you please makes it well worth it.

I have been busting my butt since I was a kid, always buying and selling something and have not stopped.

When I sold my manufacturing business and went to work for someone else running their marketing and sales dept I about went crazy.

When they packed up to moved across country I was thankful it happened as I in no way was going to move. It forced me to do what I love to do. Buy and sell.

Maybe one day we can have a Florida Aspkin forum get together.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
gonzoman (03-09-2014), signal63 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
Thank you.

Meet in Vegas maybe? Aspkin convention!

Maybe for next years offprice and ASD shows. Something to think about.
Old 03-05-2014
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,248 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
That would be nice, not very close to where I live but it is a good chance to see a part of US I haven't seen yet.

Yes, you should write something but, in my opinon, not a manual on how to sell or an "Ebay not for dummies" something focused on your life and experience.
I have the feeling you like telling tales and stories.
An I (we) like to read them.

If you are planning to travel to Italy let me know... lot of antique stuff in here.
Old 03-05-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
I currently have a smaller Version of a SunCast Product. They are pretty solid. Actually made in the USA or North America rather than some cheap junk from Asia. Going to look into one of those larger units. Still trying to figure out how much room I think I need without having to be in the same situation 5 months from now.
Old 03-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Very solid and hold a lot in it...up to the ceiling