eBay wants auctions again? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%
Default eBay wants auctions again?

I am sure most of you got this email several days ago. I just looked at it today. Looks like for most the popular categories the days of 50 free BIN's on Stealth accounts is done.

Looks like myself as well as many other who fall under the changes will have to retool what we do. Especially for Stealth accounts.

Anyone US members who this is affecting let me know.

Dear XXXXXX:

Our research shows that in many popular categories—particularly fashion and collectible items—listing your items auction-style is the best way to make a sale. That’s why the standard selling fees will be updated to give sellers without an eBay Stores subscription up to 100 free auction-style listings per month* in the following categories:

Antiques
Art
Baby
Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
Coins & Paper Money
Collectibles
Dolls & Bears
Entertainment Memorabilia
Health & Beauty
Jewelry & Watches
Pottery & Glass
Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop
Stamps
Toys & Hobbies

Starting May 15, 2014, the following changes will be made to eBay’s standard fees:

There will no longer be an allotment of free fixed price listings in these categories for sellers who don’t have an eBay Stores subscription. The insertion fee to list fixed price in these categories will be 30¢.
You still have your 50 free listings* every month that you can use for auction-style or fixed price in other eligible categories—or you can use them for auction-style listings in the categories listed above.
Plus, starting May 15 you’ll have an additional 50 free auction-style listings* that can be used only in the categories listed above.

We encourage you to take advantage of the free auction-style listings to make your selling even more successful. Get complete details on this update.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.
eBay Selling Team
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
joesshooze (05-09-2014)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-08-2014

Longevity: 59%
Default Re: eBay wants auctions again?

I sell 99% in collectibles and never used fixed price....so, it isn't bad news for me at all.
Old 05-08-2014

Longevity: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpro View Post
I sell 99% in collectibles and never used fixed price....so, it isn't bad news for me at all.
I too am often like that, but found sometimes a mix shakes things up.
Old 05-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

I will get a fee increase, I sell items not on that list.
Old 05-09-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I think you might be confused. If you sell items on the list Fixed Price you will be charged .30 cents a month. No more 50 Free Listings using Fixed Price in those categories.

Last edited by GreenBean; 05-09-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-09-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

Half of my accounts dont have an ebay store, not worth the extra cost vs the cost savings. So for me its a small fee increase, I would say, 1/2% more.
Old 05-09-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

For multi-varations for me not a problem. For some of the other ones. I will have to re-tool. I have noticed anyways on essentially everything I sell. eBay has purged the old school common seller. I am the last one with actual pictures and a personal description rather than some stock photo and something copied off the website they stole it from.
Old 05-09-2014
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpro View Post
Same for me.

I dont sell 99% collectibles but close.

I seldom use fixed price because I like my Sunday to Sunday auctions unless it is a killer item with huge quick profits then I will do a BIN and not a fixed price.
Old 05-12-2014
Banned

Default Great new rule on eb about 50 free listings per month... your take on it?

I'm loving it! Oh wrong company and slogan.

So I use to use fixed price auctions for all my accounts including stealths. Great way to jump start free ads.

I normally use 3 days but now thinking about switching into 7 days or even 10 days what is your take on it?

Kinda blows for newer accounts that are out there. I always offer free items if buyers buy 3 or more from me. So making an auction and then waiting for payment is not my thing. I've noticed with auctions at times the buyer doesn't want it after a few days or wants to cancel it and you got to keep on checking + babysitting who paid and didn't pay. I love the fixed price, cause you can set it up to were if a customer buys they can't do checkout without paying for it. So you don't get happy over someone buying it and not paying. It's just a waste of time. I got about 4 dozen stealths I'll be launching end of this month. I only got a dozen been testing it out for a year. I noticed somethings changed from last year with making stealths with PP and what not. So back to topic.

Do you find that 5, 7, 10 day fixed auctions are as good as 3 day? I did research years ago and 3 days was the best. 2 reasons, 1st day item is in the search for "newly listed items" and last day in "going soon listed" so 2nd day it's just floating around some place. Your take on it?

I'm kinda mad at Eb for doing this and removing fixed auctions from a few categories as smaller/newer accounts only got 10 items limit. I always do 2 to 4 auctions fixed per account. So them wanting to charge .30 cents might not be much but on a low end run you $6 per month or $12 high end per month. I know it's not much but 4 dozen accounts ads up to $3.3k to $6.6k in newer fees taken away from my pocket this coming year and the many years to come. :(

So you see that .30 cents adds up pretty darn fast eh?

Also who will be the first to say "GWW to make money got to spend money..." lol
Old 05-13-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Its hard to say. 4-5 years ago Auctions were all the rage. Now it seems like lots of buyers seldom bid or even look for anything at auction except for a few categories.

All we can hope is that eBay's ne policy helps revives auctions on this site. Because it was quite nice back then. Getting multiple bids on an item I had 3 or 4 of. Doing the second chance offers and getting hits there at the same time.

Depends on your products. I normally do 5 or 7 day auctions because most of my items are more unique and don't get the traffic that other categories do.
Old 05-13-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I noticed too on my stealth accounts since they don't have stores. They currently are allowing me to schedule listings for free and allowing a BIN option on the Auction free of charge. (The BIN has to be 30% more than the starting bid price.) I don't know when they made that change.

This is going to be interesting.

Also, I will add you are right about the .30 cents for Fixed Price. For me it depends on how fast the inventory turns over. Also if you have multiple QTY of Variations. .30 cents might not be as big a deal then. But for me at-least I have some items that sell one every few months. So these costs do add up. If I list a single fixed price that is seasonal and doesn't sell for 4-6 months. Can definitely eat into profits.

Going to be a new learning process on the stealth accounts for me. How to best list items here on out.

Last edited by vogeltron; 05-13-2014 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-13-2014

Longevity: 62%

This kinda sucks for me, I do womens clothing and I used to do only auctions but nowadays I find I do better with fixed price. when it comes to cheaper fashion items it seems they are mostly impulse buys, on the auctions I would end up with tons of watchers in some cases over 50 on one item and then end up with only 2 or 3 bids. Seems when it comes to clothing people are fickle, if they can buy it right then they will, if they have a few days to think about it they forget or change their mind.
I've been pondering an ebay store, the fee savings weren't significant enough to bother with but maybe I need to revisit that.
Old 05-13-2014
Banned

Same with me I had time waster with auctions who had a chance of heart within 3 or 4 days. Or not pay up or reply. I like BIN only place an order if funds are in paypal or else don't waste my time or get my hopes up.

Last edited by GreenBean; 05-14-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-14-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreech41311 View Post
This kinda sucks for me, I do womens clothing and I used to do only auctions but nowadays I find I do better with fixed price. when it comes to cheaper fashion items it seems they are mostly impulse buys, on the auctions I would end up with tons of watchers in some cases over 50 on one item and then end up with only 2 or 3 bids. Seems when it comes to clothing people are fickle, if they can buy it right then they will, if they have a few days to think about it they forget or change their mind.
I've been pondering an ebay store, the fee savings weren't significant enough to bother with but maybe I need to revisit that.
Yea, it does suck. eBay use to be a big auction site. But then John Donahue ruined that. Now it seems like things are failing in those categories so he is trying to bring back the past.

The eBay store works it you have inventory and a legit account. If you are running stealth's in the U.S. With this 200 transaction PayPal things it is a huge blow.
Old 05-14-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
Yea, it does suck. eBay use to be a big auction site. But then John Donahue ruined that. Now it seems like things are failing in those categories so he is trying to bring back the past.

The eBay store works it you have inventory and a legit account. If you are running stealth's in the U.S. With this 200 transaction PayPal things it is a huge blow.

Auctions is really bad for starter stealths accounts depending on what you sell. Because for one competition can just bid on your stuff waste your time, and you only got 10 limits now you are down to 9! It's why 99.99% of my auctions are BIN. You can only buy it if you got funds in your paypal. I don't need time wasters of people who change their mind after 3 days. I really hate that! Plus I offer deals buy 3 get 1 free. You can't do that with auctions.

Auctions you got to tell me you will wait 5 to 7 days to get the money? IF THEY PAY YOU WITHOUT CHANGING THEIR MIND???

BIN is great. I've put up auctions and within 7 to 9 minutes SOLD got the money no need to wait. Time is money people! LETS GO!

I'm sure most of you will agree with me. I don't want to wait for the money it's why I got many accounts to sell!

Last edited by GreenBean; 05-14-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

What happens when you live in a Kakistocracy.

Last edited by GreenBean; 05-14-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2014
Banned

I mean here is what we can do guys. I'll share my tips with you!

You have items you sell ja? (that's German for yes).

1. So you put 1 item at BIN with 5.
2. Put auctions with links pointing at BIN with 5.
3. Collect zee money.
Old 05-16-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Its a blast to the past listings all my items on stealth account via Auction. Will see how this goes.