Looks like a good place to find items to Sale on Ebay!!! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers

Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers Discuss Dropshipping on/off eBay, Amazon, Shopify, Etsy and other platforms.

Old 01-01-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Thumbs up Looks like a good place to find items to Sale on Ebay!!!

I have been doing a research on what items to sell on ebay and i ran across this site called Best Selling Items & Things To Sell On eBay| WaterHouseResearch

Seems like a very good place to find products to sell on ebay

I was wondering if anyone else had any good experience with this site?

Has anyone ever heard of it before?

If you have used it how has it been working out for you?

i am really thinking about trying it out doesn't cost much for the value of info that the site gives you

Last edited by krimson; 01-01-2014 at 11:22 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-01-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,910 Times in 8,203 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: Looks like a good place to find items to Sale on Ebay!!!

No exprience but looking at the site right now - initial impression is a low-maintained site
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
MikeChi85 (08-31-2017)
Old 01-01-2014

Longevity: 60%

Krimson when you give them $197.00 let me know what you find out. Looks like it gonna say Remote COntrol toys are the best? FOne number comes up RC hobby Estore Syndney Australia just to give you a heads up. And Happy New Year to all and yours
Old 01-01-2014
Threadstarter  

just seems interesting. Could be a gold mine for product information or could be a flop..just wanted some input from other experienced sellers out there..Thanks for taking a look and ill keep yall posted on how it turns out when i see a product i might be interested in
Old 01-01-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I would stick with Terapeak. They are the only company with actual eBay history data.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
Fishbob (09-27-2014), krimson (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

Meh, Another site looking to line its pockets with info that is free 'if' you know where to look.
Old 01-01-2014
Threadstarter  

Do any of you guys use Terapeak? And how does it work for you?
Old 01-01-2014
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

I use it all the time.

Dont rely 100% on it but I am out at flea markets, antique auctions etc so it works well for me for those types of items.

Has made me a ton of money over the years researching antique items before I buy them.
Old 01-01-2014

Good thread guys
Old 01-01-2014

Longevity: 80%

nothing on that site u cannot find on ebay at or below the price they are selling it for. when i first started selling 7 years ago i tried a lot of those and wasted my money as ebay prices are always as low or lower.

There is a reason ebay is called fleabay
The Following User Says Thank You to Gamefreak For This Useful Post:
Packattack12 (01-13-2014)
Old 01-01-2014
Executive [VIP]

It is difficult to sell mass market items (anything produced in quantity and sold by wholesalers) on eBay AND be competitive on price. Too many people are looking to do that and some of them will have access to better suppliers than you will, or are able to buy in larger volume than you can.

The only way I have found to be successful with mass market items is to go with niche items. Those mass market items that are not super-popular but still have enough buyers so there is a smaller market for the item. Everyone and his brother wants to find that "secret source" of $100 iPhones, but that source does not exist.

Terapeak can help to find niches. You can see how many of a specific item sold over periods of time and how much they sold for. You can then compare that pricing to what your wholesale cost would be and see if it is worth entering that market. Since these markets are limited in nature, you will need a few niches to make decent money on eBay.

For example, if I were selling DVD's, I wouldn't be trying to sell the latest Harry Potter or Disney movies, I would be looking for art house movies, or movies that appeal to a specific population, like gays & lesbians. Why? Because there is a lot less competition for them and the profit margins are higher.

And generic items... How are you going to sell something like HDMI cables profitably when people in China can list them for less than what it would cost you to buy them and have them shipped here? You can't.

Then, of course, there are the unique items - Antiques, rare books, rare dvd's, toys or whatever. In those cases your competition is limited by the rarity of the merchandise. But you have to be a good negotiator to buy the items for the price you want to pay. When buying rare books, I always pay a FAIR price, but I have to be able to make money on the book. And it can sit in my inventory for 6 months or more before it will sell. My offers are based on the value of the book and the length of time I believe it will take to sell the book. Some people want to sell me their books, look the prices up on Amazon and think that I am going to pay them $150 for book selling for $150 on Amazon. But I am NOT a collector, I am a re-seller. I might pay $50 for that book if it will take a long time to sell, and maybe $100 if I believe I can sell it quickly.

But chasing "secret" sources of mass market merchandise is a sure way to get discouraged and give up on the idea of selling online.

Last edited by jeffweico; 01-01-2014 at 11:19 PM.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
aniseed (01-08-2014), ass11078 (01-13-2014), barkley70 (12-10-2014), bennyandthejets (02-11-2016), biglouis999 (01-11-2014), bronwyn (09-03-2014), brucelin778 (11-01-2014), BubbleTea (10-15-2014), Cobra commander (07-06-2014), Doomed (02-14-2014), ebayanarchy (02-24-2016), flex2264 (06-02-2014), jamesnoname (09-04-2014), lamos1 (10-17-2014), mattmayes (06-12-2014), Mexigringo (12-10-2014), popsock (02-13-2016), rapril1234 (05-22-2014)
Old 01-02-2014
Executive [VIP]

Just felt like adding to my post above...

Some people think that mass market retail items have larger profit margins then they actually do. For example, a lot of people believe that a retailer makes about $5 when they sell a new DVD. That is simply not the case. For a major release, like a Harry Potter DVD when it first comes out, they are lucky if they make $1. Walmart and other stores sell it very near their cost to get people into their stores. The studios don't relent on the price, because they know that the title sells itself and will fly off the shelves.

They make more money on DVD's that have been out for awhile, but that still sell for a decent price. Then, there are those $5 bargain bin ones. Stores get those for about $4. So, they can make about the same thing they can on a new release. Who hasn't stood at one of these bins, sorting through it and picking up 3 or 4 titles?

The same thing is true with electronics. When Best Buy sells a giant flat-screen TV, they are lucky if they make $100. The President of Best Buy in fact, claimed in an interview that the profit margin was even lower for the newer TV's. That is why they push the warranties and $49 HDMI cables so much - there is more of a profit in them.

Electronic items have NOTORIOUSLY LOW profit margins. Selling new stuff is NOT an easy road to making money. That is why eBay considers the category high risk, even for items that are not routinely counterfeited. They know that profit margins are slim and worry about your reaction should a customer need to return an item, or if there is a chargeback, etc. It only takes ONE bad sale to wipe out the profits on 10 or more good sales. And when you list something like new iPhones for $299, when Apple does not sell them that cheap, they know the item is most likely counterfeit.

Some people do well with closeout items, and shelf-pulls from stores. They may buy 100 USB broadband sticks for $10 each and be able to sell them for $15 - $20 each. More customized electronics which have niche uses - items like braille printers for the blind, some business equipment and professional items like video cameras used by the movie studios have much higher profit margins, but far fewer sales.

Other categories, like bedding, housewares, etc. can have higher margins as well.

At the end of the day, there is simply no easy way to find a niche. I started by looking for products that I have had to buy that seemed expensive to me. Smaller things like bandages used in medicine for wound care can have profit margins up to 300%, allowing you to cut the price and still make a profit. But there are hundreds of different types of bandages and not all of them have those margins. You need to find the lesser-used ones and focus on those.

Just by doing that, I probably find 3-4 niche products per year.

I also am always on the lookout for real wholesalers. There are a millions websites that CLAIM to be wholesale sites that in reality are simply middlemen for the real wholesalers. You want to know one of the signs that a site is a legitimate wholesale site? Their prices are not listed. You need to request access, or the prices are sent to you in a PDF file. That is not to say that NO legitimate wholesalers display their prices to everyone, but I know of VERY FEW that do. When you find a REAL wholesaler, it pays to look up their products using something like TeraPeak to see if they could be a good source of some items. Rarely will you find a wholesaler, even a real one, that has the best prices on everything.

Also, real wholesalers usually do NOT like to accept credit cards for orders. They sell in volume and bank transfers are probably the most common form of payment. I always scrutinize ANY new firm I am thinking of doing business with. The exception would be sites outside the US - at least for me - because I wouldn't trust anyone enough to do a bank transfer with them unless we already had an existing business relationship.

In the retail world, after all is said and done, a small store is lucky if they make 15% of their gross sales as profit. For the larger stores like Best Buy, that number is more like 5%. Don't be fooled by people who tell you they have a "secret" source of items that will allow you to make 200% or more on each order. Such sources don't exist, unless they are selling something illegal - like counterfeits.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
bronwyn (09-03-2014), brucelin778 (11-01-2014), BubbleTea (10-15-2014), Cobra commander (07-06-2014), ebayanarchy (02-24-2016), flex2264 (06-02-2014), glacier922 (01-21-2014), helpme1 (09-08-2016), jamesnoname (09-04-2014), jojo2012 (02-28-2016), mattmayes (06-12-2014), Mexigringo (12-10-2014), rapril1234 (05-22-2014), rsot (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014

Longevity: 76%

Some of the information you have put in the post above is somewhat untrue. I know of many wholesalers, in your category of books, where you can trade on a cash account or credit account AND you would need a login to get onto the website to be able to see what they have in and the pricing structure that they are working with.

Lots of he sites you say that you need to login or request access are not wholesalers but middlemen trying to make a quick buck!
Old 01-02-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavey10 View Post
Some of the information you have put in the post above is somewhat untrue. I know of many wholesalers, in your category of books, where you can trade on a cash account or credit account AND you would need a login to get onto the website to be able to see what they have in and the pricing structure that they are working with.

Lots of he sites you say that you need to login or request access are not wholesalers but middlemen trying to make a quick buck!
Yes, it IS true that a site not displaying their prices is NOT a guarantee that they are not a middleman. But, in my opinion, the chances are much better in these cases.
Old 01-12-2014

Longevity: 86%

The important thing about finding a niche is that it is still important to have a flexible business model. You may well find your niche and make yourself the absolute master or mistress of knowledge in your particular widgets and the type of punters who buy them. However it will not be long before your competitors will begin to notice and try to jump on the bandwaggon.

In this case you have to be always looking ahead for the next profitable niche and prepared to jump ship at the right time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biglouis999 For This Useful Post:
Mexigringo (12-10-2014), rsot (01-14-2014), yankee (01-12-2014)
Old 01-22-2014

Longevity: 64%

thanks for the link
Old 05-19-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

I'd like to raise some caution to anyone interested in purchasing information or products from Waterhouse Research. I recently had a rather bad experience with them.

I purchased a 'Gold Package' which turned out to not even be worth my time importing due to their whacky calculations and missing costs.

At the end of the day, if you're relying on companies such as these guys to find you products and do all of the hard work for you. You're probably in the wrong field.

Always do your own research and makes sure that your numbers match.

If anyone wants me to go into further detail with my experience i'd be more than happy to write up a detailed post if there is any demand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erik_ For This Useful Post:
BubbleTea (10-15-2014), rsot (05-20-2014)
Old 05-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

Most of these type services. They end up funneling you to a bunch of distributors who make money. But you end up sitting on the products that sell at a snails pace and are lucky if you break even.
Old 05-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Part of it is that the people who havent done the research just figure that these products are good and buy a ton to sell.

Ends up with a stagnant, over-supplied market as well
Old 06-06-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Send a message via Skype™ to black_label

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
Most of these type services. They end up funneling you to a bunch of distributors who make money. But you end up sitting on the products that sell at a snails pace and are lucky if you break even.
Yup. They charge you $xx.xx to get "access" to distributers/suppliers that you could have found on your own. These services are essentially just like the yellowpages. Actually, save some money and look in your phonebook. lol

If you have any questions regarding dropshipping or anything, check out my site: Drop Shipping - Black Label Daily
The Following User Says Thank You to black_label For This Useful Post:
olekstom87 (08-24-2014)
Old 06-11-2014
Executive [VIP]

Nice color background - black with white writing - ghostlike
Old 06-12-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Send a message via Skype™ to black_label

Lol it's simple, no frills