EBay stockholders....RISE UP! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-06-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 58%
Default EBay stockholders....RISE UP!

Bigger picture....ebay is a publicly held busines, right? That means any stockholder is a part-owner and has a stake in profits and losses, Right?

So......why would ebay be so hellbent on screwing over their income producers? Now I don't mean to out and out bootleggers of vids and so forth. Or the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ Gucci things. I mean, why would they err on the side of caution when banning other accounts from the same address but with other names, PP accounts etc. You gotta wonder how much legit money they are losing but killy family member accounts when one guy goes bad. AND......banning people for LIFE!

How is that much different than permanently revoking a guy's drivers license for a series of small infractions. Fine him and move on. Or worse, revoking a wife's drivers license because she uses the same car (PC, IP) as the husband who gets a steady stream of tickets?

Now.....the answer I fully expect from someone who does not bother to read this entire post, or put adult level thought into it...is that ebay is full of morons. Which is true. But the bottom line is the ...err....bottom line. As a stockholder I would be royally pi$$ed to know how they are turning away business.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: EBay stockholders....RISE UP!

Are you a shareholder though?

Old 07-06-2014
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

To eBay and EVERY business.. the most important part is your customers. EBay is trying to protect their customers (buyers). If customers get ripped off by bad sellers they won't come back, they won't buy anymore items. A business's customers is it's life blood. Sellers are a liability and thus easily expendable. You don't see eBay banning buyers do you? I'm not saying you are a bad seller either, eBay's policies tend to ban first and then ask questions.
Old 07-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 2%
Longevity: 68%

To say the buyers on Ebay are Ebay's customers is categorically incorrect. Ebay's only customers are their sellers whereas the buyers are ebay's product. The buyer's become the seller's customers but Ebay is only generating revenue from the sellers.

Stockholders do not have any say in the company. The board and the Execs are the only ones that really have a say even in a publicly traded company. So they can have no bearing on Ebay's oppressive and often seemly illogical system of punishment.

But to address the OPs real question of why Ebay seems to errs on the side of ban rather then the side of profit is because they have compiled enough data and built up a complicated algorithm that determines that these people and their families are at a much higher risk percentage of being a loss, rather then a profit, along with certain products being at a much higher risk percentage of being a loss, rather then a profit for them. Therefore what looks to you like lost profits to them looks like prevented losses.

It also comes down to the fact that Ebay has established the perfect trap. They have attracted so much buyer traffic that sellers will continue to sell no matter how oppressed and new sellers will continue to show up in all categories no matter how bad Ebay's reputation gets.

Last edited by Futuremogul888; 07-06-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Which would appear to mean that the stockholders will make a profit.

Old 07-06-2014
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 View Post
To say the buyers on Ebay are Ebay's customers is categorically incorrect. Ebay's only customers are their sellers whereas the buyers are ebay's product. The buyer's become the seller's customers but Ebay is only generating revenue from the sellers.
Technically you're correct. That said.. it's all about protecting and providing a better experience for the buyers at the seller's expense. That's what I was trying to get across.

If I was eBay... while I understood sellers paid the fees (who gives a ****).. buyers keep the sellers (buyers are the reason we're in business) coming back over and over again. My interest it keeping buyers happy and squeezing the sellers.

So who cares if I ban you.. who cares if I ruin your day.. you did bad, you should feel bad. Go get the stealth guide and learn how to get back on..

Sellers are expendable liable time wasters and I only want the best of the best sellers so there are less overall problems. That's eBay.
Old 07-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in the Supermarket View Post
How is that much different than permanently revoking a guy's drivers license for a series of small infractions. Fine him and move on. Or worse, revoking a wife's drivers license because she uses the same car (PC, IP) as the husband who gets a steady stream of tickets?
Comparing an online platform to a driver's license suspension is not the same idea at all - fallacy.
Old 07-07-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Are you a shareholder though?

I have mutual funds, which in turn buy stock in ebay and lots of other companies. So, yes, I own a ver7y very small chunk of ebay right along with everybody with an IRA, 401K, ETF, or mutual fund (for the most part).
Old 07-07-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Comparing an online platform to a driver's license suspension is not the same idea at all - fallacy.
thanks, but wrong answer.

Husband gets a ticket (ebay restriction)
Husband gets another (and another and another. Loses his license for 1 year. Does ebay normally shut you down for only a set time period, or for life?

Does wife's license get revoked because the husband drive like crap? No.

You just have to make the effort to make the mental transition for the analogy to work. For those who are so well-versed in ebay then you don't need an analogy.

Along those lines.......car insurance companies can revoke policies for a whole family but they can reapply to get family covered minus the bad driver. NOt ebay.....you are DONE along with your entire household.
Old 07-07-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

I'm not supporting eBay's policies but you also know that the potential for fraud on eB/pp is MASSIVE - eB/pp bans for the little things in order to avoid the potential big liabilities.

I know your point about banning/flagging entire households is silly and that's true but eB/pp just go for the easiest way of dealing with things.

As for stockholders, they want profit...eB churns out profit and is working on keeping fraud down...supposedly.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
aspkin (07-07-2014)