Etsy Direct Checkout Help - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 09-07-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 55%
Default Etsy Direct Checkout Help

Hey y'all

have a question about using direct checkout on etsy without linking.

Before starting I should note that I did a whole bunch or stupid things the first time around that im paying for now. Didn't know how hard etsy was on sellers. Live an learn...

Backstory is that i opened an account and was immediately suspended. i was using templates and descriptions from a manufacturer who has lots of other sellers. Something must have linked me to another person who used the same info who was suspended for copyright. I tried to reason with them and argue for weeks, but they dont care. so i came here to learn how to get back on. and, i am. but i want to use direct checkout.

I know that its advisable not to use it. but, the ppl ive talked to say that 90% of sales they get are from DC. so i feel like i'd really like to have it.

So, the problem is that i used my personal cc, and my business bank acc info for direct checkout (which has both my and my gfs name) for the old account.

im wondering what they can link from the bank account info? do i need to worry about the other info associated with the bank account (address, name, etc) or do they only look at the account #? ive read different things about that on here.

sorry this a long question... been reading this site a lot to get back up, and you all have been a huge help in the process. thanks for doing it.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-07-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%
Default Re: Etsy Direct Checkout Help

Works like PP.

Just make sure your bank accepts whatever name you put. All Et.sy knows is account and routing number.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
jpglg (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014
Threadstarter  

Thanks Unknown!

But, just to make sure i'm understanding before I go and screw something up...

assuming that, as im in canada, this would translate to acct# transit# and institution# same idea different names? basically they only know #s?

But, obviously when you sign up for DC on et/sy they want account owners name. What i am assuming you're saying is that in the 'account owners name' section i could put any name that the bank would accept? eg if its my personal account, as long as the numbers are correct, the name i put in is not verifiable by et.sy, but they will send the deposits to that name.

and for the 'tell us about yourself' area below that, i can use any info, including the info that i signed up for the account with? this is not something they check with the bank?

thanks again! appreciate the help.
Old 09-07-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

And also steer clear of using info tied with your gf - keep the accounts to yourself
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
jpglg (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpglg View Post
Thanks Unknown!

But, just to make sure i'm understanding before I go and screw something up...

assuming that, as im in canada, this would translate to acct# transit# and institution# same idea different names? basically they only know #s?

But, obviously when you sign up for DC on et/sy they want account owners name. What i am assuming you're saying is that in the 'account owners name' section i could put any name that the bank would accept? eg if its my personal account, as long as the numbers are correct, the name i put in is not verifiable by et.sy, but they will send the deposits to that name.

and for the 'tell us about yourself' area below that, i can use any info, including the info that i signed up for the account with? this is not something they check with the bank?

thanks again! appreciate the help.
You are correct. Et.sy knows absolutely nothing about the bank except for what you give to them.

So, make sure the name can be accepted by your bank so the deposits do not get rejected.

As for the rest of your personal information, make up whatever you like. Just be sure to keep it all new and nothing that can be linked to other accounts.

*** NOTE - Anyone reading this from the USA cannot use these same tactics as Et.sy will require SSN for direct deposits. Use EIN if you absolutely have to accept direct deposits.
jpglg (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014
Threadstarter  

Ok great. Again, thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

And, I agree rsot, only reason my gf is involved is because it started as an extension of a business we run together. But, that was before i ran into the side of et.sy that couldn't care less if a business lives or dies.

Also, i've been reading up the last few hours on the bank mismatch issue. You seem to be a bit of an expert on CAD banks. In your experience, is RBC usable with a complete mismatch or might a name variation be better?

And finally, will it flag anything in et.sy if the bank account holder name is different from the owner of the et.sy acct?

Sorry! Thats all!
Old 09-08-2014

Longevity: 57%

I have heard that customers on Ets prefer DC from a few folks on here but when I offered it (3+ years) it was rarely the method of choice for my customer base. I don't offer it now because of the SSN thing though I may start doing so on one of my accts which already has an EIN established. I just have found that since people can check out using a card via PP anyway it's not that big a deal to them. Maybe it's only the weird niche I sell in. IDK.
Old 09-08-2014
Threadstarter  

Yeah, i'd be curious what most ppl though about it here. I am mainly going by my manufacturer who's getting about 20-25 sales/day. He says when he started offering DC, his sales took off. And, like I said above, gets about 90% DC.

Maybe it makes a store seem more legitimate to customers? IDK. I'd obviously rather not give them any more info than i have to, but don't want to miss out on the sales.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpglg For This Useful Post:
novemberrain1970 (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014

Interesting. I am only guessing but it could be that we sell to completely different markets as it has not affected me at all.
Old 09-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

I simply compare myself to my competitors offering similar products. They may offer DC, but my prices beat them and I destroy them in sales. So, offering only PP has been totally fine for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (01-19-2016), novemberrain1970 (09-09-2014)
Old 09-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

unknown5454,

you cannot use EIN and business info for direct checkout (in US). Only SSN and personal info is accepted. They do a records lookup to verify all info.
Old 09-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

I will check again this week when I set up a new store. I must have read over it too quickly or am thinking of another marketplace. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
I simply compare myself to my competitors offering similar products. They may offer DC, but my prices beat them and I destroy them in sales. So, offering only PP has been totally fine for me.
Same here! My competitors hate me.
Old 09-09-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
will it flag anything in et.sy if the bank account holder name is different from the owner of the et.sy acct?
Any idea about this? If i set up et.sy store as Jane Doe and the name i put for DC is Bob Williams, will that set off alarms for et.sy?

Don't know if my bank would accept the name I set up the et.sy with.
Old 09-09-2014
Executive [VIP]

Setup the store with your store name and then make bank account name whatever you want. They really aren't that clever or simply don't care. Everything I put in Et.sy is f@ke/made up on the spot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
jpglg (09-09-2014), novemberrain1970 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-09-2014
Threadstarter  

Yeah, Im probably giving them too much credit. Hard to know first time around though!

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2014
Threadstarter  

Hmm.. so went through with the process and got this message:

You are almost done! We had trouble verifying your identity, so one more step is needed before you can accept credit cards and Etsy Gift Cards in your shop. Please check your email for more information.

And they sent an email asking for a government id proving my identity... So, i guess im screwed for offering DC. Is this a normal request from them?
The Following User Says Thank You to jpglg For This Useful Post:
TheMatrix (11-07-2015)
Old 07-09-2015

Longevity: 51%

I got the same message jpglg.
Old 07-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

And they sent an email asking for a government id proving my identity... So, i guess im screwed for offering DC. Is this a normal request from them?
Yes. Anyone trying to move cash through their merchant account will need to prove identity. Otherwise, you could lau.nder whatever you want. Same as PP.
jpglg (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015
Threadstarter  

Been away from this for a while. Appreciate the responses

Does the ID have to match the ID associated with the bank account? Or can it just match the ID associated with the et account?

Meaning: Can the get any information about who owns the bank account or do they just need id confirming that the person who owns the et account exists?

Thanks!