IRS says TIN does not match name. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 11-06-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 76%
Default IRS says TIN does not match name.

Hi guys. Have not been here for a while and that's a good thing. My business have all been up and running great until today when I received an email from Paypal. I have a Tax id with my real info linked to my stealth Paypal for years now. Today I got a mail stated "The IRS recently notified us that a combination of your name and TIN on your PayPal account does not match its records". Its obvious i'm not going to send stealth info to the IRS. They are requesting that I send a W-9 with matching info on my stealth account.

Anyhow, I have never been in this situation so I wanted to know what is the best way out. Should I close this PayPal and open a new one? Should I send them the updated information? I have it linked to an Ebay account that I really do not want to lose. If I could link a new Paypal to this account that would be great. Would it be a risk to my Ebay? Is is best to just walk away and call it a loss? What do you guys recommend?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-06-2014

Longevity: 63%
Default Re: IRS says TIN does not match name.

Use another payment gateway like Authorize.Net.
Old 11-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I have never heard of this happening before. Could you post the email WITH PERSONAL INFO BLOCKED OUT? It would be helpful. The IRS is not supposed to, by law, provide PayPal or anyone else with any information. The only thing they are supposed to do is to respond to verification requests with either a "match" or a "no match" code. Usually, when there is a "no match" it is simply because the name was not entered exactly as it exists in the IRS records.

When verifying a social security number, they match your name and social security number. When verifying an EIN for a sole proprietorship they match your name with the EIN. When verifying an LLC, Partnership or Corporation, they are matching the BUSINESS NAME with the EIN.

So, something does not seem right here.
Old 11-06-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoteBay View Post
Use another payment gateway like Authorize.Net.
Never heard of that. How exactly does that work?
Old 11-06-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
I have never heard of this happening before. Could you post the email WITH PERSONAL INFO BLOCKED OUT? It would be helpful. The IRS is not supposed to, by law, provide PayPal or anyone else with any information. The only thing they are supposed to do is to respond to verification requests with either a "match" or a "no match" code. Usually, when there is a "no match" it is simply because the name was not entered exactly as it exists in the IRS records.

When verifying a social security number, they match your name and social security number. When verifying an EIN for a sole proprietorship they match your name with the EIN. When verifying an LLC, Partnership or Corporation, they are matching the BUSINESS NAME with the EIN.

Hello (name blocked),
Update your W-9 taxpayer information

The IRS recently notified us that a combination of your name and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) on your PayPal account does not match its records.

We also sent a notice to you through U.S. mail as required by the IRS. If you have already responded to the mailed B Notice, please disregard this email.

If you did not receive or respond to the notice, it's important that you submit updated W-9 information by December 11, 2014 to avoid any limits to using your account. You can download and complete the W-9 form easily and securely online or mail it in.

To get started, log in to your PayPal account and an alert will appear asking you to update your name and/or TIN. Click submit updated W-9 information within the alert.

Thanks for taking care of this right away.
Old 11-06-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:

I see. That may as well be my issue then. The business is a Sole Proprietorship. The Ebay name is not the same as the business name as well. Is there a way to change this?
Old 11-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Most of us use LLC's so that the IRS is only verifying the business name and the EIN, because if they verify your legal name it will obviously not match. My guess is the account was set up with way BEFORE the IRS required the reporting?

How to solve it...

Let me think for awhile. I will post a bit later. Hopefully others will chime in as well. Maybe this has happened to someone else.

My one immediate thought would be to change the EIN with a new one obtained for an LLC, but I am not sure how PayPal would react to that. You could claim your accountant told you to do this so that everything was set up properly???

Again, let me think...
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
morningwood (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Most of us use LLC's so that the IRS is only verifying the business name and the EIN, because if they verify your legal name it will obviously not match. My guess is the account was set up with way BEFORE the IRS required the reporting?

How to solve it...

Let me think for awhile. I will post a bit later. Hopefully others will chime in as well. Maybe this has happened to someone else.

My one immediate thought would be to change the EIN with a new one obtained for an LLC, but I am not sure how PayPal would react to that. You could claim your accountant told you to do this so that everything was set up properly???

Again, let me think...
Thanks Jeff. It was done years ago. You seem very knowledgeable about the subject so any ideas would help.
Old 11-06-2014
Threadstarter  

Update: I went through my paperwork and realize my business tax id is actually a LLC. Not a Sole Proprietorship
Old 11-06-2014

Longevity: 75%

I got this too on one of my accounts. Been 7 months and still haven't changed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sergfro For This Useful Post:
Christian91092 (05-25-2017)
Old 11-06-2014

Longevity: 70%

I got the same letter
Update your W-9 taxpayer information

The IRS recently notified us that a combination of your name and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) on your PayPal account does not match its records.

We also sent a notice to you through U.S. mail as required by the IRS. If you have already responded to the mailed B Notice, please disregard this email.

If you did not receive or respond to the notice, it's important that you submit updated W-9 information by December 11, 2014 to avoid any limits to using your account. You can download and complete the W-9 form easily and securely online or mail it in.

To get started, log in to your PayPal account and an alert will appear asking you to update your name and/or TIN. Click submit updated W-9 information within the alert.
Thanks for taking care of this right away....

This is a stealth account so I added a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ ssn , what if I add another ⊗⊗⊗⊗ ssn? thank for your ideas guys.
Old 11-06-2014
Banned

Longevity: 64%

'morningwood' thought I had a bug on my screen haha. nice avatar.
Old 11-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Interesting that two different users are reporting an issue.....

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-...ease-help.html

Seems checks are being vamped up as the accounts are used more & taxes are getting reported.

Be careful of accuracy here is one message that stands out to me.

Old 11-06-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

The members here receiving these messages have you just added your tax ID this year ??

Also if you received this letter and it is on an aged account that you had provided the tax ID maybe a year or two ago and went over the 200/20K did you get a tax form from the IRS on your sales

I'm just trying to see If this is something being done with accounts that just provided a tax id or have the accounts been working with a tax id for some time and already received IRS tax forms and this is now a second check that is being done
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningwood View Post
Update: I went through my paperwork and realize my business tax id is actually a LLC. Not a Sole Proprietorship
Do you have the PayPal account in the name of the LLC? It should be a business account and the LLC Name should match exactly what the IRS has on their records. The easiest way to check is to look at the letter (probably a PDF, but COULD HAVE been sent in the mail) from the IRS showing the information on the EIN when you first applied for it.

If the account is in the stealth name, and you just had added the EIN at the time without making it a business account, that could be what is causing this.

Edited to add: Check to make sure what the IRS has on file MATCHES EXACTLY the business name on the PayPal account.

Last edited by jeffweico; 11-06-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2014

Longevity: 59%

Hi all! Since this thread is about new IRS, TIN, & LLC & EIN, I hope you guys don't mind me asking few questions regarding business upgrading to business account, LLC and EIN.

Back in Aug. I created a legit account under my mom's name, bank acc. and supplied SS to PP as well. I started selling with Vero items. Got MC999, called in and all went fine. recently got limit raised to 30/3000, good.

Q: Now I want to upgrade this account to business account. I know I have to get LLC and supply EIN to PP. Just wondering if I upgraded to business acc. will Ebay/PP ask for any documents beside EIN, business name ? Many of you have have business account in here, what you guys went through when opened/upgraded to business account? Your input/advice will be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advanced.
Old 11-07-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergfro View Post
I got this too on one of my accounts. Been 7 months and still haven't changed it.
Was there a deadline on yours as well?
Old 11-07-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
The members here receiving these messages have you just added your tax ID this year ??

Also if you received this letter and it is on an aged account that you had provided the tax ID maybe a year or two ago and went over the 200/20K did you get a tax form from the IRS on your sales

I'm just trying to see If this is something being done with accounts that just provided a tax id or have the accounts been working with a tax id for some time and already received IRS tax forms and this is now a second check that is being done
I added mine over 2 years ago when I hit the 20k mark as of the requirement at the time. The account is about 4 yeard old. I do get my tax forms through the mail from the IRS.
The Following User Says Thank You to morningwood For This Useful Post:
Dmshark25 (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Do you have the PayPal account in the name of the LLC? It should be a business account and the LLC Name should match exactly what the IRS has on their records. The easiest way to check is to look at the letter (probably a PDF, but COULD HAVE been sent in the mail) from the IRS showing the information on the EIN when you first applied for it.

If the account is in the stealth name, and you just had added the EIN at the time without making it a business account, that could be what is causing this.

Edited to add: Check to make sure what the IRS has on file MATCHES EXACTLY the business name on the PayPal account.
No, my Paypal account does not match the LLC business name. I have a few different business accounts and none really match. But this account is also the one that brings in the most revenue so that could raise a red flag.
Old 11-07-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Interesting that two different users are reporting an issue.....

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-...ease-help.html

Seems checks are being vamped up as the accounts are used more & taxes are getting reported.

Be careful of accuracy here is one message that stands out to me.

4 of us counting the people within the post. I just read the other guys post and it sounds like the exact problem I am having. Was there even a resolution found in his case?
The Following User Says Thank You to morningwood For This Useful Post:
kelvllv (11-13-2014)
Old 11-07-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealagreeproceed View Post
'morningwood' thought I had a bug on my screen haha. nice avatar.
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2014

Longevity: 70%

My account was created 2 years ago and yes my sales are above 20k a year the problem is this is a stealth account name last name ssn doesn't exist in real in real so how can I report this to IRS? IRS makes billions the problem will be if my PayPal account gets limit like the say.