Still picking my jaw up off the floor... - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 59%
Default Still picking my jaw up off the floor...

Looking around for some gifts on eBay with the holidays coming up and I noticed there are many sellers that have sold 100s of DVDs every month for months on end... that has to be VERO at least for the newer titles, right??

They MUST be over the PP limits of 200/$20,000, so they must have added either SSN or EIN by now... and if they have added SSN or EIN arent they worried about the VERO owner tracking them down through their SSN/EIN and suing their pants off?

If not the VERO member, what about the tax man- wont they be reporting this massive amount of monthly revenue to the good ol' Income Restriction Society? Doesn't the gov care they are selling VERO, how to you even have the cojones to claim expenses for that???

There must be some splainin' to do somewhere along the line for these people, right?? How are they still selling month after month??
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%
Default Re: Still picking my jaw up off the floor...

You lost me, what is the issue?

I sell millions and millions on ebay annually for more than a decade. Am I a bad person? Are my companies bad? Some weeks tens of thousands of items are shipped combined.

Not to sound rude or arrogant, but what are you saying? People who have businesses and sell well are horrible people who are doing something wrong and not paying taxes?
If so, that is a very narrow and sad perspective.....

Amazon sells a lot more than hundreds of DVDs a month. Are they doing something wrong too? How about Barnes and Noble? Walmart?

What does VERO mean to you? Just curious.
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by employeea1 View Post
Looking around for some gifts on eBay with the holidays coming up and I noticed there are many sellers that have sold 100s of DVDs every month for months on end... that has to be VERO at least for the newer titles, right??
And how do you know they are aren't allowed to sell these items? I sell Blu-Rays, does that make me a crook?

Quote:
They MUST be over the PP limits of 200/$20,000, so they must have added either SSN or EIN by now... and if they have added SSN or EIN arent they worried about the VERO owner tracking them down through their SSN/EIN and suing their pants off?
Why are you concerned with other people's accounts? You don't know how they are running their accounts, right? well they don't know how your running yours....

Quote:
If not the VERO member, what about the tax man- wont they be reporting this massive amount of monthly revenue to the good ol' Income Restriction Society? Doesn't the gov care they are selling VERO, how to you even have the cojones to claim expenses for that???
Again, you have no clue as to how they are running their accounts, how do you know they don't have a Tax Professional?

Quote:
There must be some splainin' to do somewhere along the line for these people, right?? How are they still selling month after month??
LOL, you might want to focus on your own business.....
Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Not what I am saying at all. I guess I should have said foo foo & not VERO. What I'm saying is it appears to me they are selling a lot of foo foo since the prices are so much lower than Amazon or Walmart, and I would think those stores would have the biggest merchant discount available & therefore the lowest price- but maybe Im wrong there. VERO means to me that the rights owner has to approve of you selling their items, and I cant imagine selling at these prices is approved?
Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Oh my gosh you guys are taking this very wrong, it wasn't meant to insult. Sorry I asked!
Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

MM78- I'm always concerned about looking at and figuring out successful business models, learning about successful businesses teaches you a lot about ways to be successful in your own business. If everyone started from scratch without any advise or any models to emulate no one would get very far.
Old 11-18-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Companies that are selling items and are not an authorized reseller will eventually get shut down, it doesn't last too long, so if you see the same name that has been selling for years upon years than they most likely have the rites
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
employeea1 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
MM78- I'm always concerned about looking at and figuring out successful business models, learning about successful businesses teaches you a lot about ways to be successful in your own business. If everyone started from scratch without any advise or any models to emulate no one would get very far.
Then this post should have been your first post. LOL.

Along the lines of

Hey gang, how come I see sellers on ebay doing big business with DVDs. I wonder what their secret is?

See how much nicer that is.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
morganstern (11-19-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Green Bean, you are absolutely right. My apologies. I am VERY susceptible to word vomit, which this definitely was.
Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks Dmshark. Any advise on how small companies get to the point where they can secure the rights to sell VERO items at prices that are profitable?
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Thanks Dmshark. Any advise on how small companies get to the point where they can secure the rights to sell VERO items at prices that are profitable?
How do you even know these are VeRo?

The sellers may have access to distributors that allow the purchase of DVDs/blu rays.
Dont get blind-sided by the term VeRo.

Is your question (really) I want to sell DVDs in high volumes How will I do that?

What are you wanting to achieve with ebay selling?

A combination of these will give us more info, imo.

Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I am definitely blind sided by the term VeRo in that I thought that any household brand (non-generic) would be VeRo. So how do you know? Also if it is VeRo-how do you know if a distributor is legitimate?

I would definitely want to sell DVDs in high volumes if I could do so legitimately, any advise on how to do that?

As far as eBay selling goals- I am open to any items that turn a decent profit and sell regularly, it doesn't matter to me if it's generic or VeRo. The only thing that matters to me is being legit. I have no desire for trouble

I've just been staying away from VeRo since I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the VeRo items Im looking at that are selling on eBay (at the prices it takes in order to stay competitive in that market) were foo foo.
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Well, one of my lenders is in the DVD/BlueRay/Adult rental business, Video Stores. Dead business, they are going extinct.

Long story short, he buys CLOSING video stores. Pays a flat $0.01 per DVD/Blueray and $0.05 on adult stuff. He then resells on Amazon and Ebay. Makes a few hundred extra grand a year doing it. It is a bi-product of his failing video stores, but gives him position access.
My Alabama location, the warehouse/storage owner also has his own ebay/Amazon business doing the same exact thing with Video Games. Buys closing CANADA video stores and resells in the USA.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
employeea1 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Yankee, thank you for sharing this. I appreciate the valuable insight! Sorry if I offended you earlier, that wasn't my intent to point fingers at any & all DVD sellers on eBay.

Is there any other ways to obtain the New Releases legitimately? I would think a Video Store would have maybe 10-20 copies of each title and I see folks selling 100+ copies of a new release... I dont have the cash to buy 50 video stores so there is no way for me to emulate those sellers like that....so still thinking...is there any other ways they do this?

Does give great food for thought though... THANK YOU

Last edited by employeea1; 11-18-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

You start off small.

Learn to network.

Learn to find a trustworthy supplier and move on from there.

Do not limit yourself to DVDs/blu rays. Look at other items too.

Time and research are your friends.

employeea1 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I am definitely trying to diversify. I have about 10 different products I sell now that are each in completely different markets (all generics though) and they do well, but I am not where I need to be yet as far as monthly income. So I am always looking to add more products to the line up/get into new markets to expand & increase profit. The research never ends, getting all the information I can especially until I find a model that puts me were I need to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to employeea1 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Liking what I am reading here, employee'.

Here's another little titbit....

Have you thought of your own website? You may not be aware of another aspkin ebook

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/interne...tml#post605690

Also read thro' the Internet Market subforum
Internet Marketing - eBay Suspension & Paypal Limited Forums

It's ALL there.

Enjoy the journey and keep asking the questions.

employeea1 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

MyBad.

Forgot the wholesale discussions as well.

Wholesale Discussions - eBay Suspension & Paypal Limited Forums

And now, off to brew coffee.

employeea1 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Counterfeiters usually get caught, but some probably don't. And not everyone selling on eBay is selling phakes. Moviemars is a good one, I have purchased from them before and have never gotten a bad one. I'm reasonably certain what they are selling is legitimate.

VERO is simply the Verified Rights Owner program. VERO does not mean counterfeit. When we talk about VERO problems, many times the seller has legitimate items, but the brand owner interferes with their listings, THINKING they MAY BE counterfeit.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
employeea1 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks Jeff. I think my wording was poor in my original post but you have answered the intention of my original question here. Thank you for clearing that up for me. In regards to VeRo/conterfeit/brand name items in general - how do you know if the source/distributor is legitimate once you find one and not selling you counterfeits as genuine articles?

Edit: I guess I should probably rephrase that as how do you find a legitimate supplier of non-generics? (If anyone is willing to share, if not back to how do you know if one you find is legitimate? Im not scared of doing my own researching to find one, I'm just not sure how to make sure they check out.)

Last edited by employeea1; 11-18-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. I think my wording was poor in my original post but you have answered the intention of my original question here. Thank you for clearing that up for me. In regards to VeRo/conterfeit/brand name items in general - how do you know if the source/distributor is legitimate once you find one and not selling you counterfeits as genuine articles?
Google is a good start.
Also, just because a distributor can sell you an item, does not mean you can sell it on ebay or amazon.

Second, over seas and name brand items usually have an issue. Not saying they are all ⊗⊗⊗⊗, but they definitely are not intended to be sold to a non Asian market and the majority are foo foo.

Look for small nitch markets. Start with what you are passionate about along with hobbies.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
employeea1 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

The thing is, no distributor is going to admit they sell counterfeits.

A HUGE tipoff is price. And the fact they are coming from China.

NFL jersey's, for example, do NOT wholesale for $20. There is no such thing as a legitimate $4 wholesale DVD when it comes to anything popular.

If you want to find a legitimate distributor, call the manufacturer. They most likely will not sell to you directly, but would be happy to give you a list of their authorized distributors.

If you have a legitimate source of product and want to sell on eBay, I would email the VERO member and ask for their permission to sell. Many of them WILL allow you to sell without taking your listings down if you can show them your items are legitimate. SOME of them, however don't want their items on eBay and may not want you selling even if the items are 100% real.

That is what is so difficult about selling VERO items on eBay. It is not that they are necessarily counterfeit, but that the VERO member may have your listings removed and some of them are unreasonable. Unfortunately, there is little you can do if a particular brand does not want you to sell on eBay.

In Northbrook, Illinois there was one family that always had cheap brand name stuff on eBay including a TON of DVD's. All the popular stuff. All at 50% of the going price and all of it LEGITIMATE. Nobody could figure out what their source was. That is, until the article in the local paper showed the cops taking thousands of items out of their house.

Apparently shoplifting was a family affair...