phone number verification on ebay - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 07-22-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 98%
Default phone number verification on ebay

i also received eBay new notice. eBay ended my actions on one of my accounts and i got this weird notice to verify my phone number after i relisted some items today. I know pay pal dose this but never had ebay do this. whats going on allot of people got this notice........It is new security feature i think that they use on new accounts now.. I have verify phone number and received call from paypal containing my PIN.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-22-2007
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 97%

it happened to me two days ago.when i listed an item in an account (2 days old)
after i changed its password. saying the account is locked for safety until you pass some requirement. they called and i gave them the pin . the account is open now.

i used a AOL phoneline number to receive the incoming call. it is free to receive.

thx.
Old 07-22-2007
Banned

Are you guys selling high end expensive items when they ask for the verification?
Old 07-22-2007
Subscribed [VIP]

no, items between $250 to $400.and this is the first time that happen.
i forgot my password and i changed from different ip i think.
Old 07-22-2007
Banned

Are you overseas?
Old 07-22-2007
Subscribed [VIP]

no i lives in the east coast.
Old 07-22-2007
Threadstarter  

that is what so strange that ebay blocked account and call for verification came not from ebay but form paypal. I dont have paypal on my account. i also used a AOL phone line number to receive the incoming call. I have verified the 4 digit pin. I don't know is it unblocked or not. do you know how long do i have to w before is unblocked? will i receive email? what happened to my actions? w the f is going on. Canceling actions for no reason? Im in usa and same 300-400$ actions and account is less then month old. In 6 years that i was on ebay that never happened. It looks like ebay is trying to use pay pals security measures on new ebay accoints. Soon you will need to have SSN to open ebay account ;-( can they do that?
Old 07-23-2007

I mentioned the following on Modees thread... Here it is again for you guys and gals...

Ebay is now checking phone numbers! I heard from a friend of a friend who works in trust and safety that ebays new system check dials the phone numbers listed and those returned as disconnected or not a number ebay is going to end auctions and ask you to verify your number.
The way to verify the number is thru a "pin" number that they will give you when you allow them to call the number. Now if you have a voicemail service this is ok as they will leave the "pin" number and then you can enter it later.
It seems this is all computerized, meaning no human contact, just random computer calls and computer voices for "pin" numbers.

Also, I was told that Ebay has plans for the following:
1) Requiring all new members to register with a credit card.
2) Requiring Selling accounts to have a bank account on file as well, sort of like how PP checks to verify you.
3) All new accounts will not be able to list an item for sale for 30 days. (I guess this is their way of preventing you from reregistering when your account is kicked and start selling again)
And the biggest one of all... Are you ready.....You are gonna love it!!!!!
4) Requiring all selling accounts to provide a SS# or Business Tax ID #

Get ready for some heavy times in the future.... My advice to everyone here is if you think 1 back up account is good enough.. well you are wrong. As with other things they have done in the past maybe you can get grandfathered in with the accounts, but I think eventually that will end as well.
Old 07-23-2007
Banned

Time to leave Ebay alone and move on to new and better things..
Old 07-24-2007

Longevity: 99%

Easier said than done. There aren't any "better" things that I know of, or we'd all be listing there. Although I can say that right now, ebay sales are way down for most people. It's just that time of year.

What I've noticed already:

1) Already happening sometimes. And it's oh so fun having to go find a new card to register. Especially since I STILL don't have definitive answers on some things. I guess I'd have to have the card anyway sooner or later, but it slows things down considerably when you're just registering.
2) If you think I'm going to put bank details on file with ebay, you're F@&!ing crazy. I'm sure there are MANY people who feel the same way and will not stand for that.
3) Well hell, you might as well just close the d@mn store now Ebay! Fools pull this stuff yet they STILL can't seem to properly investigate a bad bidder. Idiots. Exclusivity like this will kill your little enterprise...and I'll be happy to see the empire's little house of cards fall.
4) I knew it would happen someday.

What this means to me is...it's about time I start getting some answers to questions so I can put some plans into action and start some new accounts! This dilly-dallying about has become somewhat of a joke of late, but it's really killing opportunities and if what you say is true on these coming changes (what is the timeline?) I don't have a moment to waste. For the love of god, would someone PLEASE help if you can? See my other threads.

As for the phone number checking, is that only at the beginning, on new accounts, or is it at random for everyone at all times?
Old 07-25-2007
Threadstarter  

i dont think ebay is going to make people give SSN number. They know they would lose lots of international sellers and other people will not be happy. (Remember how the CEO of eBay emailed all sellers urging them to contact congress to stop a law which would require all sellers to charge taxes from out of state buyers. eBay knew that they'd lose tons of business that way. So obviously, eBay does not want to lose any business. So hopefully this SSN requirement isn't going to happen.) I think there will be no more changes for a while.
Old 07-28-2007

Thumbs up They called me today.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid5000 View Post
i also received eBay new notice. eBay ended my actions on one of my accounts and i got this weird notice to verify my phone number after i relisted some items today. I know pay pal dose this but never had ebay do this. whats going on allot of people got this notice........It is new security feature i think that they use on new accounts now.. I have verify phone number and received call from paypal containing my PIN.
Hey guys, first post.
First Freebay Balling, aspkin, Modee, Chris Hanson, quickie, leonid5000, and many many others... the time that you have taken to teach myself mand everyone else has saved us MONTHS of trial and error with this thing we called eBay. I myself have been following EVERYTHING that the main contributors have laid out. I have 3 accounts opened in the last week, all with different names, accounts, address, PO boxes, blah blah... Going with this thread, I rec'd a call today from ebay on the oldest account I listed my first listing with $.99 starting. I had been on ebay for almost 5 years before and had the call once in 5 years, but after atleast 2-3 years.
Everyone take your time and do what the GOD LIKE mentors have taken time already trying themselves, or it will take you longer in th end.

Again, thanks for all that you do guys!
:D
Old 07-28-2007
Banned

oh hell no, i was not mentioned lol.
Old 07-29-2007
Threadstarter  

warnig
if you do recive phone verifaction email just forget about that account. Is been targeted and will be suspendet after you will be posting again on it. use good phone numbers in the first place so you wont get phone verifacation email. (not your phone num ofcorse) it looks like some times ebay program calle phone nubers and hang ups .. if phone number dont work then you will get limited.. Im not 100% shere but i think thats how it works..
Old 07-31-2007

Thanks leonid5000, it went to a AOL phone number, I've listed 2 more items since then. We'll see.

georgesmith - *Falling on ground, pleading for mercy* Sorry man.... :D
Old 07-31-2007

Wow, didn't think anything about the phone number and gave a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ one... does anybody know how to change your phone number before I end up getting one of these dreaded phone verification emails...
Old 07-31-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesmith View Post
oh hell no, i was not mentioned lol.
LOL -