Adding EIN to PP Account - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 12-04-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 73%
Default Adding EIN to PP Account

PP is requesting my SSN or EIN. I'm not anywhere near the $20,000.00 mark but my transactions for the year are in the 160-175 range. I created an EIN (LLC) over 3 weeks ago and when I logged in to PP to add my information it asks for the business phone. Problem is the tracphone I used to set up the account is no longer active. When I call the stealth number I have listed in PP and eB I receive a message "Could not complete your call, please try again." Do I buy more minutes for this phone before providing my EIN info or just go with the number I have on file and hope/pray/cross all fingers/toes that PP doesn't call it to verify? I'd hate to burn this stealth account because I didn't add $10.00 to the tracphone account.

Also, when I obtained the EIN from the IRS I used my real name and address. Does PP verify the address I provide when upgrading to a business account/submitting the EIN number?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sooner; 12-04-2014 at 02:24 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-04-2014

Longevity: 54%
Default Re: Adding EIN to PP Account

When you created the EIN it has to be an LLC otherwise they will check to see if the name match. They don't verify the address as far as I know. You probably have to buy more minutes to be safe. You never want to waste an account so play it safe.
Old 12-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

They absolutely eventually verify your address. Just like the number itself, it can take a few weeks or a month to catch on.

BUT the good news is it is super easy to change the address on the IRS website.

Make sure everything is NEW. New number, address, and then load it up.
Old 12-04-2014
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 73%

Thanks pikachu and yankee for your responses but you gave conflicting information regarding the address. I've searched the web and the IRS website and cannot find where I can easily change the address associated with my EIN (currently my real home address). I did find this at How to Change an Address on an Employer Identification Number | Chron.com ~

"Step 1
Read Publication 1635, available for download from the IRS website. The IRS will mail you a copy of the publication if you call them. This publication will help you fully understand the EIN and when you need to make changes to it.

Step 2
Write a letter to the IRS, preferably on company letterhead, providing the "name and Taxpayer Identification Number of the current principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner or trustor." If you are correcting an address, be sure to include the correct address currently associated with the account and the new address where confirmation should be sent.

Step 3
Send the letter to the appropriate IRS campus for your area. These addresses can be found on the IRS website for EIN information or by calling the Specialty and Business Tax Division of the IRS. The IRS will send you a letter back confirming the information has been received."

Can anyone clarify/verify if PP checks the physical address the IRS has on file for an EIN?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

The only thing that the IRS verifies is that the EIN matches the BUSINESS NAME if it is a partnership, corporation or LLC. If it is a sole proprietorship, then they verify the PERSONAL NAME matches the EIN.

The IRS DOES NOT VERIFY ADDRESSES! They cannot do so by law. They also do not give out any other information or make any corrections to what eBay/PayPal/Amazon submit. The return code is either "MATCH" or "NO MATCH" that is all.
Old 12-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

I have never heard that the IRS does not confirm addresses. Very interesting because my accountants always edit an address when needed.
Old 12-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

To clarify, the IRS does not give out your address when they are verifying an EIN. They WILL give the information to other government agencies, law enforcement, or if asked to do so by a court of law. They may also give out your personal information if you request in writing that they do so. For example, if you are a business owner, it can be difficult to get approved for a mortgage since they cannot verify your salary through your employer. So, mortgage companies have an IRS for that you can fill out and sign, which authorizes the IRS to release your tax records from specific years to the mortgage company.

But for simply verifying that an EIN matches the taxpayer, they only do match codes. eBay or Amazon COULD, if they wanted to, look up your LLC or Corporate records on file with the state to see whatever information they have on file - anybody can since it is a public record. But so far, to my knowledge, they are not doing this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
Sooner (12-05-2014), yankee (12-04-2014)