Sellers New and Old Protect Yourselves From PayPal Fraud and Save Your Souls - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 10-14-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
Default Sellers New and Old Protect Yourselves From PayPal Fraud and Save Your Souls

Hello! I just want to send a message to all the sellers who are frustrated with Pay Pal chargebacks, claims, and disputes; most of which are potentially fraudulent. I think I may have a few tips that can help you to protect yourselves against irresponsible and/or fraudulent buyers. The first problem is when you here about fraud as it pertains to Ebay and Pay Pal; its usually regarding a shady seller. Due to this misconception most people don't realize that a great deal of fraud is committed by shady individuals who purchase merchandise on Ebay. So for all who don't know I am going to explain the types of fraud comitted by buyers and give sellers a few tips on avoiding these scams.

The first buyer scam is very common and it occurs when a seller ships an item without a tracking number. The buyer recieves the item and then files a false claim with Pay Pal stating that the item was never recieved. Since the seller can not prove that the item was shipped or delivered; the buyer wins the claim and the seller loses their shirt. Hopefully the transaction wasn't a big one because if it was you can expect to lose the entirety of the products value; even the Pay Pal fee; which is only returned if you choose to give the buyer a full refund yourself. If Pay Pal has to investigate, and they decide in the buyers favor; the fee is also lost. Okay kids, how do you protect yourselves in this case?

Answer: GET A TRACKING NUMBER!! ALWAYS!!

The second buyer scam is less known and probably the most frustrating. The responsible seller offers the buyer shipping insurance; however, the buyer chooses not to pay the extra buck 50. A little time passes, the buyer requests a tracking number; which you as a responsible seller provide immediately. A little more time passes and you notice that the tracking always says that the item is in a certain location, but it never changes. A little more time passes and the tracking number states that there is no tracking info available for this item. Sure enough this item has been lost in the mail, now what? The buyer files a Pay Pal claim and wins because the seller can not prove that the item was delivered. What the hell to do now? Maybe if I tell Pay Pal the buyer didn't buy the insurance and the item was lost in the mail; they will fix this. Think again, Pay Pal is not on your side they are out to protect the buyer not the seller. Oh yeah, Pay Pal knows I shipped the item because while the dispute was in progress the tracking number showed that the item was stuck in a certain location. Think again, Pay Pal doesn't care if the item was stuck, they only see that the item was not delivered. Just like that; your money is jerked from you hand and returned to the buyer. Okay kids, how do you protect yourself in this case?

Answer: MAKE SHIPPING INSURANCE A REQUIREMENT!! ALWAYS!!

Why: Because there is no purpose in making insurance optional if you as the seller will be held responsible whether the buyer pays for the insurance or not.

The third buyer scam probably occurs more often than people think and pertains to sales made to international customers. Now don't get me wrong, some of my best customers have been international customers; many of them from all over the globe are willing to pay more for the items and are extremely trustworthy. However if you take a fraudulent international buyer and mix it with Pay Pal you can make one big ass bomb, and blow your money all to pieces. There is no way to track a package internationally with the following cheaper USPS Shipping Methods; First Class International and International Priority Flate Rate Envelope. All other USPS Shipping Methods only allow tracking to the United States Border, after it leaves the country; your on your own. Meaning that if the buyer says they didn't get the merchandise, Pay Pal is gonna make you hand over some doe. The UPS on the other hand is not restricted to the United States, so for a high fee, you can't track the package but you can recieve email or fax confirmation once the item has been delivered and signed for. However as I've said the UPS is a great deal higher in fact it costs $94 and some change to ship a 2lb package to Germany and get signature delivery confirmation. So you can use USPS and track the package to the border or you can use UPS and get confirmation, but expect not to make any sells using these methods because the shipping you would have to charge is astronomical. So what to do? Hmm...This is a tough one.....you hear the Jeopordy Theme....what the hell am I gonna do...maybe I shouldn't sell to international customers...Jeopordy Theme...USPS sells shipment certificates.....but that doesn't prove delivery...Jeopordy Theme...Eureka!!

Answer: Pull out your purse/wallet and kiss your money goodbye. Or investigate international customers thouroughly; read their feedback carefully. They may not be able to recieve negative feedback but that doesn't mean all those positive symbols have positive comments. Some seller somewhere may have been smart enough to leave positive feedback with a very negative, but informative comment. I wish I could give you some usernames to look out for, but its against Ebay policy. However, if you contact me at my email address I will gladly give you the list. You can find my email in any of my listings.

The fourth and final buyer scam is a rarity and occurs when good buyers go bad; and Pay Pal kindly turns their back on you. The buyer purchases an item with the fullest intentions of paying for it. Hell, not only do they intend to pay, but they pay for the item on the same day that they purchase it. You ship the item immediately with a tracking number, insurance, packaging peanuts, the whole works. About 10 days later the buyer files a claim with Pay Pal saying they don't have their item, and sure enough according to the tracking number the item has not been delivered, and seems to be taking a long time to arrive at its destination. So you present this information to Pay Pal and the buyer, you tell the buyer please give it a bit more time and sorry for the delay. A bit more time passes and before you know it the claim is closed and the buyer has their money back. FYI: This is a personal story of mine; it is fact, not fiction. So I'm out about $2,720 go to the PO because I'm insured; only for them to tell me that according to the tracking number this item was delivered. So I go to Pay Pal, thinking what a relief, this whole thing was just a big misunderstanding, since the item was delivered after the claim had gone through. You won't believe what does *******s told me. Guess, just guess?

Answer: They told me I was responsible for re-collecting the lost funds. LOL. As if I have some sort of authority, to make this person give me money that Pay Pal gave back to them. As if I'm some sort of creditor that can damage this individuals credit. As if I'm some mob boss that can pay this person a visit with a couple of goons and a couple of baseball bats. What was I to do? Well I stumbled upon this website Lawyer found this lawyer named Rutherford and told him I needed some help getting back some diamond jewelry. Not only did I go to Texas and get my money back but I did recieve compensation for damages and expenses. So please if the amount is significant do not sit around and cry; get a lawyer and sue those *******s. There are many attorneys that will work for free until the case is settled.

So what have you learned today kids. "number one!"..."GET A TRACKING NUMBER!!"..."number two!"..."REQUIRE INSURANCE!!"..."number three!"...."INVESTIGATE INTERNATIONAL BUYERS!!"..."number four!"...."SUIT EM!!"

I hope this guide to seller safety has been helpful and please click yes if you enjoyed the experience because I enjoyed sharing with you.

Best Regards,

Justine

For more informative articles or to find a lawyer of any kind you can visit Lawyer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gogoguy For This Useful Post:
Exeneva (10-14-2008), IHateLiars (10-25-2008)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-14-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

good advice...
Old 10-15-2008

Longevity: 98%

One thing for insurance is depending on who you insure through, often insurance requires the buyers to do the claim or at the very least sign a form. The form will then be all about penalty of perjury and a scammer buyer may not sign it.
Old 10-15-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

I had all of those experiences happened to me but there is also one that was forgotten.
It is when the buyer directly calls there credit card company and not paypal to dispute the Credit Card Charge back. This is from my experience... The buyer paid with Amex and i shipped with Signature Confirmation. The buyer received and signed for it. I have online tracking available with his signature. Couple weeks later I get a Chargeback and submitted the tracking and delivery/signature confirmation to his CONFIRMED ADDRESS. I later get denied and the money was deducted from my account but guess why.... The Buyer told Amex that it wasn't his signature even though it was sent to his confirmed address. Go figure. This was back in 2002.
Old 10-15-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooMer View Post
I had all of those experiences happened to me but there is also one that was forgotten.
It is when the buyer directly calls there credit card company and not paypal to dispute the Credit Card Charge back. This is from my experience... The buyer paid with Amex and i shipped with Signature Confirmation. The buyer received and signed for it. I have online tracking available with his signature. Couple weeks later I get a Chargeback and submitted the tracking and delivery/signature confirmation to his CONFIRMED ADDRESS. I later get denied and the money was deducted from my account but guess why.... The Buyer told Amex that it wasn't his signature even though it was sent to his confirmed address. Go figure. This was back in 2002.
Had the same thing happen to me..Filed a police report..After about a month, the guy got caught by the police..They made him send me a money order for the amount owed:D