eBay Auctions over xmas.. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > Auction Listing

Auction Listing Images, Descriptions, Titles, Listing Advice, BIN and More!

Old 12-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 72%
Default eBay Auctions over xmas..

Hey everyone,

Was just wondering if you would schedule an an auction to end between xmas and new year?

I was going to start a 7day auction this evening for quite a high value item, and was going to start it at 99p.

Of course its hard to say, but does anyone have any experience with auctions ending between these times?

Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: eBay Auctions over xmas..

Really depends on the item.
Old 12-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

@josh: don't do it /nuff said - you are asking to take a licking
Old 12-19-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

thanks guys, so thats a defo no then? :/, do you guys stop all auction and restart in January then?
Old 12-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%

I don't stop selling ever.. but buyers then are very impatient along with a lot less traffic those day as well.

If I was going to have auctions ending this time it would be LATE x-mas day and on Sunday and Monday NIGHTS only.
People are having dinner and at local stores and with family, not shopping online as a general rule.
Old 12-19-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

yes i figured that, but im sure boxing day (26th December) people have got xmas money and want to spend online?
Old 12-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
yes i figured that, but im sure boxing day (26th December) people have got xmas money and want to spend online?
That's true but just be clear about your shipping requirements - communicate with your buyer - make sure they are highly-satisfied if you decide to sell.
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

ye especially coz im sending form abroad, there are delays, but would you not think customers will expect delays regardless?
Thanks Rsot
Old 12-21-2014

Longevity: 55%

Has been said in other posts in previous days that informing people that any post and delivery services are going to be slower over this time of year and who knows how long that will go on for, if you have items ending between Christmas and New Year, or even just after new year you do need to be sure that any buyers you do manage to get are aware of possible delays, anyone who has gone into work during these times and especially in the days after new year knows how quiet everything is, people want the xmas break to last as long as it can so they are in no rush to get back to normal everyday life, there is always a lull to everything and a definite dip in sales, yes people will have some Chistmas money maybe still left after they have been to the xmas sales themselves, but here in the UK the recession is still very much alive and kicking anyway so there is less money around generally
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

thanks for te reply, i dont really agree about the recession, everytime i go to england, every bar and restaraunt is full, and people spending money constantly, probably on credit cards, and they are massively in debt, but they continue to spend..

Come to Spain, you will see whats recession is like lol
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I always stop listing new items the week before Christmas and then start listing again on New Year's day, but in my experience the first week of January is VERY BAD for sales. But that is also dependent on WHAT you are selling.

I would imagine rechargeable batteries do well with people looking for a cheaper or more environmentally friendly way of keeping their new gifts humming. Just a random thought.

The problem is, people are EXTREMELY impatient and when I would keep listing the week of Christmas, I got too many people emailing me and expecting the impossible. Like on December 22nd, they want to know if the item will arrive in time for Christmas! Of course, they don't want to pay for overnight shipping, they expect regular mail to make it on time, somehow.

And GOD HELP YOU if it doesn't! Last year, someone ordered on December 21st, a Saturday, and chose free economy shipping. Then, they left me a negative because it didn't arrive in time for Christmas. They reasoned that they had given me 5 days to deliver it and First Class mail should have arrived in 5 days. They were counting Saturday and Sunday as days, as well as Christmas day. To their way of thinking, it was unreasonable for me not to ship until the post office actually opened on Monday, and it was also unreasonable for the post office to not do normal deliveries on Christmas Day. The reality, of course, was they needed FedEx overnight shipping, or they should have not waited until the last minute to order their gifts. BUT I'M THE BAD GUY - THE GRINCH THAT STOLE THEIR CHRISTMAS!

It took everything I had to NOT send them a free box of poop! (Yes, there IS a service that does exactly that!)
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
RosieTosie (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
thanks for te reply, i dont really agree about the recession, everytime i go to england, every bar and restaraunt is full, and people spending money constantly, probably on credit cards, and they are massively in debt, but they continue to spend..

Come to Spain, you will see whats recession is like lol
A recession does not mean that nobody has money. It just means the economy is slower than it normally would be. We are just starting to come out of a recession here in the USA. But even at it's worst, if you looked at the parking lots of shopping malls before Christmas, you would think there was NO recession. They were jam-packed.

My Dad always used to tell me something about the difference between a recession and a depression. A recession is when your neighbor is unemployed. A depression is when YOU are unemployed.

Funny, but kinda true...
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

There is MORE wealth in the USA today than ever in history. More than 20% of all homes in the USA are owned free and clear.

With that being said, the new definition of wealth still matches numbers from 60+ years ago. A dollar today does not but 1/16Th of what it did 60 years ago.
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,039 Times in 773 Posts
Activity: 39%

My recession proof plan has always been to move to cheap countries but continue to be paid in GBP
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sax4 View Post
My recession proof plan has always been to move to cheap countries but continue to be paid in GBP
How does the family handle this?
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
ye especially coz im sending form abroad, there are delays, but would you not think customers will expect delays regardless?
Thanks Rsot
Unless you communicate with the buyer...NEVER expect buyers to be so understanding about delays
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

thanks guys, @Rsot, ye thats very true, buyers are a pain in the a** sometimes..

and ye everyone goes on about the recession but honestly i dont think in the UK that online sales have been dropping, if anything they have been rising as they are trying to find more bargains, and the fact the humnan race is becoming more lazy, and just sitting playing on iPads and laptops...
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
How does the family handle this?
My mother constslantly reminds me that the only safe place in the entire world is in my hometown
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Ahhh... Lake Chapala, Mexico.... I've DREAMED of going there. Everything is super cheap, they have a community of more than 10,000 American expatriates living there and the climate is one of the best in the world. High 70's to low 80's most days with the night rarely lower than 60 and normally in the high 60's. Some people keep a portable heater for the occasional cold night, but nobody has a furnace. Houses are built with open areas.

You can, I am told, live like a king (two people) for $1,500 to $2,000 per month there. In the states, that is close to poverty-level. But there is means being able to eat out in fine restaurants, have maid service, gardening services, a nice house, etc. The only downside is some things you might be used to in the states can be expensive there. My diet coke habit would probably bankrupt me. I am told it costs as much as $1 per can for the American version since it has to be imported. At least it is easily available, though.

And the retirees there say their healthcare system is actually BETTER than ours! The only reason most keep their citizenship here is in case they need cancer treatments or something advances where they figure they would be better off in the US. But one lady just beat cancer (meaning remission, not a cure) and said their system is better, even for cancers. Who knows?

If it were not for my business, family and friends, I'd take a trip. If I liked what I saw, I might stay. I actually have a bit of money (No, I'm not rich) so its not like I would be going there just because it is cheaper. I could still afford my house here. Maybe split the year, or something.

I just like the idea of a good climate, where things are more laid back. That is VERY appealing to me.
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Yep, I'm living in Eastern Europe, I'm in a restaurant now where I just ate Pizza for $3, Americano was $1. My rent is about $400 and its a nice apartment in the middle of the city.

If I need a dentist or doctor I just turn up and they treat me like royalty. Had my teeth cleaned recently, cost $20.

In January maybe I will be in Thailand, also very cheap (although not as cheap as it once was), delicious food, nice weather, scenery, people etc

I'm not going back to England to live unless it is absolutely necessary
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Yep, I'm living in Eastern Europe, I'm in a restaurant now where I just ate Pizza for $3, Americano was $1. My rent is about $400 and its a nice apartment in the middle of the city.

If I need a dentist or doctor I just turn up and they treat me like royalty. Had my teeth cleaned recently, cost $20.

In January maybe I will be in Thailand, also very cheap (although not as cheap as it once was), delicious food, nice weather, scenery, people etc

I'm not going back to England to live unless it is absolutely necessary
Single young male?
Old 12-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Somewhat single ageing male