Comcast doesn't allow Mac Cloning -__- - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 12-20-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 54%
Default Comcast doesn't allow Mac Cloning -__-

So basically if anyone has xfinity with high MBPS (150 in my case) and own a comcast rented modem/router.... You will not be able to change your IP. Comcast is intent on you keeping your IP even AFTER moving houses and living in a different location.

I was left with no choice but to go buy a Wi-fi router (Netgear R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200) and hopefully linking it through it will allow me to switch out my Mac Address. Will post updates once I have it installed.

Other then that my question would be to the community if you think there is a point in also using a VPN server on top of all that for the extra convenience/"anonomousy." So far I'm only going to be using my main stealth account and maybe moving on to more in the future. Would love to hear your thoughts.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-20-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%
Default Re: Comcast doesn't allow Mac Cloning -__-

If your running a U.S. account and based in the US THAN no need for a VPN or VPS, there are many ways to get a good ip one is like u are doing through changing your MAC Address thru ur router
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
BlackBerets (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Or when it is too difficult because of your ISP, look at the other options of tethering & dongles.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
BlackBerets (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Or when it is too difficult because of your ISP, look at the other options of tethering & dongles.
Copy that. For now I'll just hook up my new Wi-Fi router to log onto the account on my first different IP. After some time I'll look into the mobile tethering you mentioned in a different thread. Wouldn't want to start switching too many IP's at once. The Wi-Fi router will have to do for now then.
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Comcast seems to be quickly becoming quite the police state. They allegedly told one user recently that he was not allowed to use TOR or ANY service that provided anonymity, that it was a violation of their TOS.

Quite frankly, Comcast can keep their service.

They offer 80MBPS connections, but limit your usage. Everything with them is an extra charge. They will, if you have ANY service with them, INCESSANTLY bug you to take their phone service. But most people I know have ditched their landlines. Who needs a landline when you get unlimited cell phone service for $40 per month?

And if the government scraps net neutrality, Comcast will become TRULY EVIL. You will no longer be able to shop at Amazon, you can instead shop at the Comcast store. Netflix will go bye-bye so that they can push their Xfinity service. No VOIP service will be allowed, except their own. And who knows what they will do in terms of blocking access to websites... I can only imagine...

We need competition in the ISP market and we need it YESTERDAY!
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post

Quite frankly, Comcast can keep their service.

We need competition in the ISP market and we need it YESTERDAY!
When I last lived State-side, they were not good then. Later, my associate tried again.

Our WA state accounts then had 'hassles' with Comcast. Parted company with no regrets.
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%

I still have the ability to change router or modem to achieve IP changes with Comcast. Not sure why everyone else has so much trouble. Can buy this used equipment of Crai.gsL.ist too if you don't want to buy new or need a large quantity.

Changing MAC is the most efficient, but changing equipment seems to yield the most consistent, hassle free results for me.
Old 12-21-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Yes Comcast is Great and a huge IP pool, they have been updating the Modems the last year and trying to get everyone on the modem Router Combo which needs to be separate to be able to change the IP

I purchased an ARRISS Modem from Amazon and had a NetGear router, just go on there website before you make a purchase there is a list of approved Modems that will work with their service

Also if you have telephone service with them you need a special modem with a telephone Jack, which I have and its a little more expensive than if you just get cable and Internet from them, I paid $300 for mine I know the modems that are without phone service can be picked up for under $200

Also the new Modem Router combos they are installing is an extra $10 a month added to your bill for rental fees, and that is every month so it's worth buying your own

It's maybe $8 a month but after all the fees and taxes I'm sure that's stretched to over $10 a month

There customer service is a nightmare , but luckily I have had really good service with them and only needed to call maybe 3 times in 7 years

And the switch over to my modem after I purchased it , was surprisingly very easy, it was a fast call I had no hold time and it took 3 minutes and I was up and running
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post

And the switch over to my modem after I purchased it , was surprisingly very easy, it was a fast call I had no hold time and it took 3 minutes and I was up and running
Why did you have to call them at all? You can activate them online as long as the connection is live. You can install a new modem and router in 10 minutes.
Old 12-21-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
Yes Comcast is Great and a huge IP pool, they have been updating the Modems the last year and trying to get everyone on the modem Router Combo which needs to be separate to be able to change the IP

I purchased an ARRISS Modem from Amazon and had a NetGear router, just go on there website before you make a purchase there is a list of approved Modems that will work with their service

Also if you have telephone service with them you need a special modem with a telephone Jack, which I have and its a little more expensive than if you just get cable and Internet from them, I paid $300 for mine I know the modems that are without phone service can be picked up for under $200

Also the new Modem Router combos they are installing is an extra $10 a month added to your bill for rental fees, and that is every month so it's worth buying your own

It's maybe $8 a month but after all the fees and taxes I'm sure that's stretched to over $10 a month

There customer service is a nightmare , but luckily I have had really good service with them and only needed to call maybe 3 times in 7 years

I actually just purchased an Arris router myself so I wouldn't have to worry about bridging it. I made sure it was also a DOCSIS 3.0 with optimal IPv6 connections. So far so good connecting to my computer through internet, but I've been having issues getting my Nighthawk 8000 router (netgear) to cooperate. Trying to fix this as I type.
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

If you called Comcast they give you the modem and drive it out the same day for free. Nothing wrong with swapping routers either. Pulls the same IP for months at a time usually. $7-12 each on ebay.
Old 12-21-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
If you called Comcast they give you the modem and drive it out the same day for free. Nothing wrong with swapping routers either. Pulls the same IP for months at a time usually. $7-12 each on ebay.
I got a free one from comcast already and purchased a back-up just in case. I drove their office and picked it up their instead of waiting for it to be shipped. Much faster! If you want to switch IP's on it, just change the Mac Address. I'm fine with my new IP for now running only 1 stealth account
Old 12-21-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

I personally don't like changing mac address because it pulls a new IP much more often compared to swapping routers but we all have our own preferences.

They drive out within one hour in my neck of the woods. No shipping. But maybe because it is a business account.