Selling Clothing & Mannequins Do's/Don'ts - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers

Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers Discuss Dropshipping on/off eBay, Amazon, Shopify, Etsy and other platforms.

Old 12-25-2014

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 58%
Default Selling Clothing & Mannequins Do's/Don'ts

Really would like a open ended discussion on best selling practices for selling clothing. I myself am looking in to buying mannequins but theres so many different routes one could take while selling clothing on and outside of ebay.

Any highly successful members who sell clothing, your advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm really talking about the big picture too. Anywhere from the backdrop colors (white, super white)...from what color mannequins you use, hanging not hanging...on stands.

Most importantly above all, why you choose to use your current method!

Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-25-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 55%
Default Re: Selling Clothing & Mannequins Do's/Don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
Really would like a open ended discussion on best selling practices for selling clothing. I myself am looking in to buying mannequins but theres so many different routes one could take while selling clothing on and outside of ebay.

Any highly successful members who sell clothing, your advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm really talking about the big picture too. Anywhere from the backdrop colors (white, super white)...from what color mannequins you use, hanging not hanging...on stands.

Most importantly above all, why you choose to use your current method!

Thanks!
I find half mannequins better due to the fitting. Most full mannequins come with a particular size so for example a size 20 top on a size 12 mannequin makes the top sag.
I find half mannequins relieve this problem somehow.
I predominatly use black mannequins but i do keep a white mannequin for darker garments. It can be deceptive to buyer as putting a black jumper for example on a black mannequin, can cause problems if buyer cannot properly see the style of neck ie...bardot, cowl etcc...
Plastic ones are great and much cheaper but wooden ones are by far more professional.
I tend to keep one full mannequin for dresses and dont have problems due to.sticking to a particular size.
Pinning dress sleeves lightly to background to.enhance fullness is a good idea.
I find that going the whole hog in terms of adding accessories, can really show buyer what an item can look like. Dont forget to state these items are not included.
Eg...a hairpiece, a scarf...a sash belt.....all can give a.desired look and brings in more sales.

Professionally...a wooden half standing mannequin is awesome.
Half plastic mannequins that hang are good also but not with household stuff in background.
I use a black out blind in soft cream as my background but of course change this between accounts.
Probably i sound higgledy piggledy here but i do find that adding.accessories really makes a difference. Try it by listing one item on its own and then on another listing the same item but with accessories and i bet that one goes for a much higher price. Buters like to visualise what an item will look like accompannied with other items
Hope this helps

Last edited by ooooo.halo; 12-25-2014 at 06:41 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ooooo.halo For This Useful Post:
MM78 (12-25-2014), solefoodbk (12-25-2014), yankee (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014

If yu notice any shops in your area closing down, call in and offer a price for their mannequins. They will usually be happy to sell them to you.
Last year a shop sellibg outdoor gear closed down and i bought a few and got sone child sized ones too.
They can be expensive, so this can cut down your cost if you can find a store shutting down :-)
solefoodbk (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooooo.halo View Post
I find half mannequins better due to the fitting. Most full mannequins come with a particular size so for example a size 20 top on a size 12 mannequin makes the top sag.
I find half mannequins relieve this problem somehow.
I predominatly use black mannequins but i do keep a white mannequin for darker garments. It can be deceptive to buyer as putting a black jumper for example on a black mannequin, can cause problems if buyer cannot properly see the style of neck ie...bardot, cowl etcc...
Plastic ones are great and much cheaper but wooden ones are by far more professional.
I tend to keep one full mannequin for dresses and dont have problems due to.sticking to a particular size.
Pinning dress sleeves lightly to background to.enhance fullness is a good idea.
I find that going the whole hog in terms of adding accessories, can really show buyer what an item can look like. Dont forget to state these items are not included.
Eg...a hairpiece, a scarf...a sash belt.....all can give a.desired look and brings in more sales.

Professionally...a wooden half standing mannequin is awesome.
Half plastic mannequins that hang are good also but not with household stuff in background.
I use a black out blind in soft cream as my background but of course change this between accounts.
Probably i sound higgledy piggledy here but i do find that adding.accessories really makes a difference. Try it by listing one item on its own and then on another listing the same item but with accessories and i bet that one goes for a much higher price. Buters like to visualise what an item will look like accompannied with other items
Hope this helps
Thanks!

I briefly read this and will go over it again tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
You gave alot of helpful pointers, I'm sure others will find helpful too.

I was curious about selling clothes that are size XL+? Is this size just unfit for mannequins? Most mannequins selling on ebay are "small-medium". I want to get black and white for both female and male. The thing is obviously the price starts adding up getting all those, especially if I get overpriced/crappy ones.

Last edited by solefoodbk; 12-25-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-25-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooooo.halo View Post
If yu notice any shops in your area closing down, call in and offer a price for their mannequins. They will usually be happy to sell them to you.
Last year a shop sellibg outdoor gear closed down and i bought a few and got sone child sized ones too.
They can be expensive, so this can cut down your cost if you can find a store shutting down :-)
I live in NYC, I'm sure I can find at least one place thats closing lol. Makes perfect sense, although I wouldn't have probably thought of this myself. Thanks again!
Old 12-25-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Your neighborhood is always your first port of call.

To start off in this type of venture, you network.
Old 12-25-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

I did not read everything above so sorry if this is already mentioned.

I would see if I could use someones else space/equipment and test and see what is best. I am sure you can find a few places that would not mind working with you at all for a small fee if not for free.
Old 12-25-2014

Longevity: 73%

B better just to invest in good camera good lights its not that much I use a HO floressint shop light from walmart total 20.00 bought a 20 meg pixels camera at pawn shop for 50.00 I hang the clothes and just a colored backdrop most time a colored sheet
I tried everything but if you sell many different sizes and brands it becomes a big pain to make look right just hang them with proper lighting I think sometimes it even comes out better this way less wrinkles. For large clothes padded hangers work well round the shoulders off keeps from the square look in the pic .

And pics is everything if I have a item not selling well and its priced low I always look to the pic I have and most of the time needs to be updated to a brighter better quality pic
Seen sales take off this way on dud items
The Following User Says Thank You to bluegrass1 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014
Threadstarter  

I disagree with hanging vs mannequins. You get in return what you put into your listing. I'm not talking about my perspective, that doesn't matter, its what the consumer wants is what I'm after.

All about looking professional as possible, especially when selling USED clothes. I've had a slow evolution of my listings, making them look more profressional, and simply put my sales increase every new development/add on I do. I create my own logo, and listing header. I mean whatever works, works so I can't knock what your doing if it works for you, but I want to be the best.

The whole "add ons" like scarves is extremely smart. I most DEFIANTLY will be doing this with some of my more expensive items.

Just to give a example mannequin vs hanger.. Search blazers/suits..

Generally all listings that are selling suits with a mannequin BIN go for on average 20-40% more than ones that have hangers. If anything they sell faster with a mannequin than vice versa.
Old 12-26-2014

You should have no problem getting male mannequins in size XL. Ive never had problems in the UK finding sizes of them.
If you are for example selling an evening dress....buy a cheap crinolene petticoat and put it under dress. Hanging the dress alone is lovely but putting a.petticoat underneath shows the buyer what this dress could look like. Very princess like and buyers like that.

Another exampke would be a jumper dress. You could show an image of item on its own with bare legs showing it can be worn as a dress, then another image.can show the same item with jeans or leggings showing it can be worn another.way.

Another good point of mannequins is that general hanging.doesnt emphasise the neck shape of some garments.
With a mannequin you can show how an item.like a jumper.can be worn...ie...cowl neck, off shoulder, bardot, funnel neck, collared etc... images showing these versatile ways an item can look i find to be great.

If you are getting a.full one, try and get one which is prettyish. I laugh because some of them have faces like out of a frankenstein movie and would scare anyone away.
Attach a hairpiece, even apply make up and earrings if its a female.
For a.male...if it is sportwear then add a cap...etc....

Whatever you.choose, i do believe that mannequins are much more professional and do add value to your garments purely from the shape.
A nice top hung on a normal household hanger will sell.but likely to sell more on a mannequin because it will give the top a.shape with its bust part. Just looks more genuine in my opinion
solefoodbk (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

An oldie but a goldie:

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/everyth...to-setups.html
Old 02-09-2015

Longevity: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
I need to check this out. I been having a problem with one product I can't get the lighting right it's a dark navy blue, when I take the same picture in black they look the same pretty much.