From Comcast to Verizon smoothly? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-28-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 59%
Default From Comcast to Verizon smoothly?

I've been successful with several stealth accounts for almost a year now, using different routers (with one cable modem) and different windows accounts, and keeping track of IPs.

Now I'm moving soon and am thinking of getting Verizon Fios instead of Comcast. Before I do that I thought I'd verify here. I know that with Fios, the fiber optic cable reaches the home to a wall box, but from that box you have a coax cable to your modem.

So will everything work like with regular cable? I just power cycle the modem with a different router attached and it pulls a new IP?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%
Default Re: From Comcast to Verizon smoothly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetleman View Post
So will everything work like with regular cable? I just power cycle the modem with a different router attached and it pulls a new IP?
That sounds about right, good luck.
Old 12-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Fios has a modem/router combo and pretty much you can not change the IP at all, ever without calling into verizon and resetting the box.

Not a good option for multiple stealth accounts.
Old 12-29-2014

Longevity: 54%

I am with Comcast and have the X1 newest crap...the modem and router are all one piece and it has a Static IP address. All of my computers and mobile devices have the same IP address. It really is a pain in the ass...I use VPN to change the IP addresses on accounts.
Old 12-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
I've been successful with several stealth accounts for almost a year now, using different routers (with one cable modem) and different windows accounts, and keeping track of IPs.

Now I'm moving soon and am thinking of getting Verizon Fios instead of Comcast. Before I do that I thought I'd verify here. I know that with Fios, the fiber optic cable reaches the home to a wall box, but from that box you have a coax cable to your modem.

Not a given. I had a quick relook at the other threads about Verizon. No great glowing recommendations at all. Most users have had nothing but issues to get a new IP as you mentioned.

Yes, ideally you would get a new IP as confirmed by MM78. You may run the risk of this not happening here. I think you should do more homework & look at other options.

I suggest this beacause I would dislike you to put your well running stealth accounts at risk because of a poxy ISP provider.

Old 12-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Fios is a very stable system. You can have the same ip for several months, maybe even a year or more, but changing IP is not possible.

You can run your own router altogether and spoof the mac BUT your TV etc...will not work at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
MM78 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 63%

If your IP turns out to be static (non-changing) then go get a VZ MIFI device. Fresh IPs quite often. Works great for multiple accounts.
Old 12-29-2014

Longevity: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Fios has a modem/router combo and pretty much you can not change the IP at all, ever without calling into verizon and resetting the box.

Not true. Can release your DHCP and change it.. Just did it the other day actually.. Just have to log into the router through verizon and release it..Theres a few videos floating around of the procedure.
Old 12-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdav3416 View Post
Not true. Can release your DHCP and change it.. Just did it the other day actually.. Just have to log into the router through verizon and release it..Theres a few videos floating around of the procedure.
Very Interesting.
How long does it take you?
Old 12-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Did you not find this time consuming ?

Old 12-29-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Comcast also offer a modem/router combo, but I thought it was clear that I use my own equipment instead in order to control my IPs.

I thought I would just have to get a Fios compatible modem, but today at Micro Center (big pc store) they told me they don't carry such and that I could probably find one online? WTF? I'm getting suspicious Verizon is making it difficult to use equipment that's not theirs.
Old 12-29-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfebay View Post
I am with Comcast and have the X1 newest crap...the modem and router are all one piece and it has a Static IP address. All of my computers and mobile devices have the same IP address. It really is a pain in the ass...I use VPN to change the IP addresses on accounts.
Toss their crap back, stop paying rent for it. Get one good modem and several cheap routers and you're better off. IP address is determined by router, if you need to change it still, change router's MAC address.
Old 12-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Comcast will give you for free an arris modem and run your own routers.

On Fios is does not work because your TV runs via your router/modem/video all in one system.
Old 12-30-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Comcast will give you for free an arris modem and run your own routers.

On Fios is does not work because your TV runs via your router/modem/video all in one system.
You were able to get a free Modem??

I had to purchase one myself, they installed the modem/ router combo, but when I called in, they said they have been upgrading the system so the one that they offer is just the modem/router now and directed me to their website to see a list of compatible modems to but if I wanted to purchase my own

I ended up buying a Arris Modem from Amazon, I needed the one with a phone jack which was a lot more expensive than without because I have the triple play
Old 12-30-2014
Threadstarter  

As much as I hate Comcast (money leeches, horrible customer service), I've decided not to change provider, as I don't need more adventures. The past year has been adventurous enough with all the stealth saga. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.
Old 12-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
You were able to get a free Modem??

I had to purchase one myself, they installed the modem/ router combo, but when I called in, they said they have been upgrading the system so the one that they offer is just the modem/router now and directed me to their website to see a list of compatible modems to but if I wanted to purchase my own

I ended up buying a Arris Modem from Amazon, I needed the one with a phone jack which was a lot more expensive than without because I have the triple play
Yes free, but no router, lol
Old 12-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
As much as I hate Comcast (money leeches, horrible customer service), I've decided not to change provider, as I don't need more adventures. The past year has been adventurous enough with all the stealth saga. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.
I like verizon, but not for stealth. I HAD big IP blocks as well. Even with your own fancy routers that I never quite figured out how to use for all those IP blocks, with verizon, you have to log into verizon, navigate through 127 consecutive IPs and select each time you wanted to change. It was slow and obnoxious.

I run all my stealths on Comcast, mobile devices and moving most big accounts to a VPN.
Old 12-31-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Yes free, but no router, lol
Yea I had to pay for mine , the only one they were giving out was the combo anything else they directed me to there website to find a compatible modem that I could purchase on my own
Old 12-31-2014

Longevity: 56%

Quote:
Very Interesting.
How long does it take you?
Not very long at all.. Gave it about 24 hours and then renewed and had a new one.
Old 12-31-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Not very long at all.. Gave it about 24 hours and then renewed and had a new one.
That is at least 24.99 hours too long.

I might need to change it 20 times in one hour....At least a dozen times a day if I am doing nothing more than printing a few labels.
Old 12-31-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
Yea I had to pay for mine , the only one they were giving out was the combo anything else they directed me to there website to find a compatible modem that I could purchase on my own
AHHHH.....residential account.

I had to have a Business Internet account and then a separate residential account for video at my home office.