eBay, new policy some new people not aware of! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-27-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 59%
Default eBay, new policy some new people not aware of!

with the new 5% ODR, if you even get a return requested, you MUST pay for return shipping and it will hit your ODR.

Means, if any negative feedback, any case opened, any low DSR, any return request even buyer is making it up and its BS, it will hit your 5% defect rate.

if you go over 5%, for example, if you get no cases, no bad FB, no not received cases, but you get 5 returns out of 100 items, you are out of the game!

And you must pay for the return shipping too for those 5 returns!

that 5% is during a year~

so yeah, very hard to start on eBay!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-27-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%
Default Re: eBay, new policy some new people not aware of!

5% is pretty high....
Old 12-27-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 10%
Longevity: 91%

Depends on your volume.
And REALLY depends on the people youre dealing with.
Old 12-27-2014

Longevity: 59%

I hope I live long enough to see someone introduce a real viable auction site and bury eBay in 90 days.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pokerpro For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (02-03-2015), gonzoman (12-28-2014), kittylove (01-12-2015), livelifewild (12-29-2014), luverlyjuberly (01-19-2015), progetter92 (12-28-2014), slokor (01-08-2015), Stealth4 (12-27-2014), undercoverdon (01-08-2015), YEbayY (01-11-2015)
Old 12-27-2014
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

It only counts as a defect if the buyer chooses to return the item because it is mis-described. If they choose any other reason from the list then they pay return costs and its not a defect.

Of course, due to the unscrupulous nature of ebay customers, many see a free meal so take it. Ive had 4 people abuse managed returns already for a free rerurn. Of course this means 4 defects for me.
Old 12-27-2014

Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_smile View Post
It only counts as a defect if the buyer chooses to return the item because it is mis-described. If they choose any other reason from the list then they pay return costs and its not a defect.

Of course, due to the unscrupulous nature of ebay customers, many see a free meal so take it. Ive had 4 people abuse managed returns already for a free rerurn. Of course this means 4 defects for me.
I can't remember the last time I had a buyer return something where I had to pay return costs.
Old 12-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Electronics have higher then average defects I find.... Just manufacture defects...
Old 12-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts

My highest ODR on any account is at 2.54% and that was because of a postal service issue. I really wish that eBay would NOT penalize sellers for things like that.

I also wish they would make a distinction when it comes to "Item not as described" because the majority of those returns (at least for me) are due to items that arrived damaged in shipping. That really bugs me, because in my mind there is a difference between INAD for shipping damage or an INAD due to a misleading listing or counterfeit items, etc.

When I mentioned this to my eBay rep, she told me that the best thing to do was to make sure that items were packaged well. But what are we supposed to do?

I bought a DVD for Christmas and it arrived with the case crushed and a tire mark on the bottom of the envelope. Being a seller, I contacted the other seller via the message system because I didn't want them to get dinged for something that was not their fault. I think that is only fair, because no seller is likely to ship items that way! But most buyers don't understand the way that eBay works, unfortunately.

I DO agree with eBay on the whole, however, that most of the time, sellers SHOULD be able to maintain an account while having less than a 5% ODR rate. I just think that some things they are currently counting against sellers should not be counted.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (02-03-2015)
Old 12-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
I can't remember the last time I had a buyer return something where I had to pay return costs.
Likewise here - some might complain though
Old 12-29-2014

Longevity: 69%

Quote:
I have 6 returns in my seller dashboard for past 12 months. All claim defective. Not a single item was defective and I relisted as used.

If I get 2 more, I will get suspended? This is great.
Old 12-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%

I had one of my best accts, PayPal holds lifted, 1 day auction, high best match searches, and it's now below average because of some customers, ridiculous.
Old 12-30-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
I have 6 returns in my seller dashboard for past 12 months. All claim defective. Not a single item was defective and I relisted as used.

If I get 2 more, I will get suspended? This is great.
You just need to get the volume of sales up if you are just selling on a certain amount of accounts, that's the key to always be selling , as long as the sales count stays high and grows everyday than your account will absorb defects a lot easier

So If you sell 100 products that are the items that make you money sell another 200 that month that are just cheap under $5 items that you make maybe under $1 or break even, but it will make the system work a lot better, and the defects won't hurt the account that much

I noticed for myself just this month that buyers opened cases, had this story how the item looked used m was broke, blah blah blah

They were higher priced and I sent them all sealed, so I emailed them paid postage and out of 6 returns 5 were still sealed in the box, only one was not working properly

DECEMBER brings out a lot of seasonal shoppers that are not used to eBay and just maybe find a better deal or whatever so they open a case and lie, even though I'd refund anyone that messaged me direct for any reason
Old 12-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%
Default eBay, new policy some new people not aware of!

Dmshark, but then PayPal will ask for tax id if you sell that much no?
Old 12-30-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacier922 View Post
Dmshark, but then PayPal will ask for tax id if you sell that much no?
Well that's the thing you need to either jump,from account to account where your not concerned with the tax ID and for that matter the whole defect system

Or if you do concentrate on one account the trick is keeping the sales count always up

I prefer spreading sales out, but on one account I have a tax ID all the rest I like to keep moving from account to,account always making more
Old 12-30-2014

Longevity: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
You just need to get the volume of sales up if you are just selling on a certain amount of accounts, that's the key to always be selling , as long as the sales count stays high and grows everyday than your account will absorb defects a lot easier

So If you sell 100 products that are the items that make you money sell another 200 that month that are just cheap under $5 items that you make maybe under $1 or break even, but it will make the system work a lot better, and the defects won't hurt the account that much

I noticed for myself just this month that buyers opened cases, had this story how the item looked used m was broke, blah blah blah

They were higher priced and I sent them all sealed, so I emailed them paid postage and out of 6 returns 5 were still sealed in the box, only one was not working properly

DECEMBER brings out a lot of seasonal shoppers that are not used to eBay and just maybe find a better deal or whatever so they open a case and lie, even though I'd refund anyone that messaged me direct for any reason
Does it still count if the buyer closes the case? Since i am very shy of 100 transactons for the year I am going to sell some slow moving items at a lost to get over 100. will my defect number increase? Right now my dashboard says I am allow 8 defects. I am under 100 transactions. will that 8 increase once I go over 100?
Old 01-08-2015

Longevity: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenice View Post
with the new 5% ODR, if you even get a return requested, you MUST pay for return shipping and it will hit your ODR.

Means, if any negative feedback, any case opened, any low DSR, any return request even buyer is making it up and its BS, it will hit your 5% defect rate.

if you go over 5%, for example, if you get no cases, no bad FB, no not received cases, but you get 5 returns out of 100 items, you are out of the game!

And you must pay for the return shipping too for those 5 returns!

that 5% is during a year~

so yeah, very hard to start on eBay!
What if you just do a return with the buyer without the buyer going through the formal eBay return process?

If you just communicate with the buyer through eBay email and you both agree to a refund and his return without going through any formal eBay return process?

Does that count as a return in eBay's opinion or does it have to be logged formally through their system?
Old 01-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostro View Post
What if you just do a return with the buyer without the buyer going through the formal eBay return process?

If you just communicate with the buyer through eBay email and you both agree to a refund and his return without going through any formal eBay return process?

Does that count as a return in eBay's opinion or does it have to be logged formally through their system?
No, it doesn't count.
The Following User Says Thank You to james13v For This Useful Post:
nostro (01-08-2015)
Old 01-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

I don't know how everyone else does business or what they sell. But I take lots of pictures not stock photos. I describe my items very well and include every detail I can. Thus the cases I have opened have been because of buyers lack of willingness to read to listing. Nothing that was inherently misleading.

Knock on wood. I agree with the frustration. I am sure one of my stealth accounts is going to be in jeopardy because of this. I have already dealt with this because of the feedback % for U.S. Stealth and the limitations.

Either way for those who run their business the right way I feel the pain. This is just one more thing that gives buyer power to try to screw us over.
Old 01-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
I don't know how everyone else does business or what they sell. But I take lots of pictures not stock photos. I describe my items very well and include every detail I can. Thus the cases I have opened have been because of buyers lack of willingness to read to listing. Nothing that was inherently misleading.

Knock on wood. I agree with the frustration. I am sure one of my stealth accounts is going to be in jeopardy because of this. I have already dealt with this because of the feedback % for U.S. Stealth and the limitations.

Either way for those who run their business the right way I feel the pain. This is just one more thing that gives buyer power to try to screw us over.
You can have the best listing ever. The best pictures ever. The best description ever. Not going to stop buyers from opening cases.
Old 01-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
You can have the best listing ever. The best pictures ever. The best description ever. Not going to stop buyers from opening cases.
While you are correct. It sure does help avoid problems then throwing up some garbage listing that is semi deceiving.
Old 01-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
While you are correct. It sure does help avoid problems then throwing up some garbage listing that is semi deceiving.
People doing the semi deceiving listings, are doing it for a reason, and probably wouldn't be too keen on making their listings super accurate.