Clothing Sellers Volume - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-03-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 53%
Default Clothing Sellers Volume

I am wondering how much of a volume people sell for clothing. And do clothing sellers just do one type ei: women or mens or kids? I am curious if people are doing specific clothing niches or just listing mass volumes of whatever they can find. No one has to tell me what brands they sell or specifics if they aren't comfortable.

I have been sticking to mid to high end labelled clothing and am wondering if it is worth branching out to other areas in the clothing market. I sell less but more expensive items, but I am thinking I am missing out on bigger profits.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%
Default Re: Clothing Sellers Volume

Clothing is very tough. You are right about brands etc. Depending on what you are sourcing and where you are getting it from it is a struggle. Even if you are like myself and go out of you way to take measurements of every pc etc. You still get buyers who can't read and try to screw you over saying the item doesn't fit etc. Like it is your fault when the listing says please check the measurements before purchasing sizing can vary year to year. We are not responsible for items that do not fit. er time consuming too. Especially for people like me who take measurements by hand

It seriously sucks. You have to have something with very good margins to make it work. Selling clothing the right way is measurments of every size. So when I do buy particular pcs I try get get mass quantity to cut down on the put into it.
Old 01-03-2015

Activity: 39%
Longevity: 57%

The best thing I can recommend is spend 30 minutes a day (easy) on either mens or womens clothing sold items category. You can either narrow it down to "casual shirts" or "jackets/coats" but I like to look at them all. By doing this you get a feel for what your missing while thrift shopping. High end brands for one tend to be risky with ebay, not to mention tend to be VERY saturated. After say about a month or two from just simply seeing whats selling you get a feel for the market. Its pretty easy from there when your shopping for clothes.

I still check clothes I have a good feeling about. For instance I just sold a Pringle by Scotland 100% cashmere sweater for 75 bucks, paid 5 for it. Of course cashmere is a instant red flag while shopping (if your seasoned) but not all cashmere clothes sell for good profit.

When I first started out I was all about high end brands. Now most of my profit isn't off high end brands, they're good to have but not my main revenue source. For instance getting a beat up iron maiden rock concert tee from the 70's could sell well past 150+ depending on the concert/history.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solefoodbk For This Useful Post:
nearnu (01-03-2015), yankee (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks so much for your input. I do feel like I am a missing out by just focusing on designer items. They are my favourite thing to list. I was a consignment buyer for a store and a pricer for a well known thrift store. I am a label encyclopaedia but most of my customers are from the US. Which is challenging since clothing there is so much cheaper to begin with.
Old 01-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 4%
Longevity: 91%

I thought about trying clothes, but I can just imagine the issues of people complaining about this and that doesn't fit. "Ain't nobody got time fa dat" lol
MM78 (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking View Post
I thought about trying clothes, but I can just imagine the issues of people complaining about this and that doesn't fit. "Ain't nobody got time fa dat" lol
Same here, I have sold Sweaters of a specific brand but yet to have any issues...but I can't imagine trying to sell women clothing like skirts, tops, pants, dresses. One area where I did marvelous was women's Lingerie but that was more of a brick and mortar type store.
Old 01-03-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Same here, I have sold Sweaters of a specific brand but yet to have any issues...but I can't imagine trying to sell women clothing like skirts, tops, pants, dresses. One area where I did marvelous was women's Lingerie but that was more of a brick and mortar type store.

Even used but clean womens lingerie does good. When I was in consignment transvestites would come in and buy it.
Old 01-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnu View Post
Even used but clean womens lingerie does good. When I was in consignment transvestites would come in and buy it.
Exactly, I had Women (who were men really) that spent more $$$$ than women by a long shot. The few weeks before Valentines was the best for me. I once had a "couple" spend $800 in 1 visit.
Old 01-03-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Selling online is a different animal than in person. But the rents where I am are ridiculous. Even if I had the money I wouldn't do it. I kept waffling on whether to do b&m because of my area. I used to make a lot of money for a few different businesses. What I would like to do is sell clothing online but as everyone knows its a saturated market.
Old 01-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking View Post
I haven't had 1 return in the last 4 months, and I offer 14 day returns on ALL clothes! As long as you measure the clothes properly and 100% honest with the condition, you shouldn't see to many returns. When you measure enough clothes you get a feel for the measurements. Some clothes run big and some small, once you do it long enough you will tell the difference and then can mention it in the listing. If its a medium but fits a little big I mention it in the listings, builds trust with the buyer to. Most sellers selling clothes don't do it properly. Its pretty easy to create a system and once you create a system that works for you its a breeze listing. Its also pretty easy to stand out and look way more professional then the rest... which means way more money coming you way.

Selling anything under 10 dollars your just asking for trouble.

When people buy used clothes they really inspect it, like I would if I bought something used off ebay. So basically any stain even if its tiny as a tiny can be you need to take a picture of it and mention it in your listing. If you don't mention it, then you can kiss your money goodbye if its a scammer.

All this usually can be avoided if you check your clothes throughly before buying them.

Last edited by solefoodbk; 01-03-2015 at 08:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solefoodbk For This Useful Post:
MM78 (01-04-2015), vogeltron (01-04-2015), yankee (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post

Selling anything under 10 dollars your just asking for trouble.

So true. My only neg feedbacks were from people who bought my items $9.99 and under. I guess sometimes it attracts the wrong type of customer.
Old 01-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Me too. I tried selling really small items which I lost money on in shipping to get my feedback up. 2 of out 20 items got feedbacks. Waste of my money and time.
Old 01-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by big tymer View Post
So true. My only neg feedbacks were from people who bought my items $9.99 and under. I guess sometimes it attracts the wrong type of customer.
It is not just clothing. I have found that the buyers who want items for the cheapest prices are ALWAYS the biggest complainers. I avoid their business like the plague.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
nearnu (01-04-2015), solefoodbk (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I am trying to find my sweet spot for average price per item. I was doing higher priced items selling less making more. But I am still trying to find that sweet spot.
Old 01-04-2015

Longevity: 56%

I sell clothing. My niche is women/kids formal wear. This is a tough area, prepare for high returns.
Old 01-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I sell clothing. My niche is women/kids formal wear. This is a tough area, prepare for high returns.

I know. its tougher now than before. Especially considering so many new stores offer free returns now.
Old 01-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by big tymer View Post
You'd think it'd be the opposite. Why freak out when its under ten bucks? Its the people with nothing to do and you then become their source of amusement.

Old 01-04-2015

Quote:

I know. its tougher now than before. Especially considering so many new stores offer free returns now.
If a customer asks to return the clothing (even if you don't offer it) you'll have to return it anyways, as with clothing buyers tend to win (unless your confident in what you sell and know how to talk to eBay) and you get bad feedback in result!

Not sure how womens/kids differ from mens on return rate? If it fits it fits...end of story.

Are you taking proper measurments for the different style of clothing? Not everyone has high returns on clothing, and I do some womens.

Last edited by solefoodbk; 01-04-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
It is not just clothing. I have found that the buyers who want items for the cheapest prices are ALWAYS the biggest complainers. I avoid their business like the plague.
Anyone who sends me a lowball offer on clothing. I avoid them like crazy. In general anyone who goes out of their way to send me something like that is always problematic. You can usually look at their feedback left for others and it is full of negatives and neutrals. They think they can have something for nothing.
Old 01-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Do you guys find auctions or BIN or BIN w/ Offer best for clothing? I kind of mix it up.
Old 01-04-2015

Quote:
Do you guys find auctions or BIN or BIN w/ Offer best for clothing? I kind of mix it up.
It depends on the item. Usually if its around 60+ I "think" about adding best offer. I usually only add best offer if I don't know the value of the actual clothing. So instead of selling it for super low I test the waters out...

Putting the price high enough that maybe a stupid buyer actually pays that amount (it happens) and then I include a best offer. It all depends what type of traffic the listing is getting to. If I have a decent amount of follows, and or have alot of clicks I generally remove the best offer...
Old 01-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
It depends on the item. Usually if its around 60+ I "think" about adding best offer. I usually only add best offer if I don't know the value of the actual clothing. So instead of selling it for super low I test the waters out...

Putting the price high enough that maybe a stupid buyer actually pays that amount (it happens) and then I include a best offer. It all depends what type of traffic the listing is getting to. If I have a decent amount of follows, and or have alot of clicks I generally remove the best offer...
Fantastic proactive approach especially seeing as most of your items you only have one of.