School or No? What's Your Opinion. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 01-15-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default School or No? What's Your Opinion.

First thing first I am Asian. Therefore my family is very strict on education and wants me to go to school until I get any form of degree. I on the other hand question if school is the right decision. I feel like school is good for someone that knows what they want to do with their life, for example; becoming a doctor, lawyer, engineer, and etc. I just think that within those 4 years of school I could do more with my life than pay tuition for some useless class i would never in my life.

What Is your opinion on school?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-15-2015
just_smile

Longevity: 0%
Default Re: School or No? What's Your Opinion.

You need to want to learn. You can't get through university half arsed.

Make sure you choose a degree that leads directly to a specific job. Make sure that job has good prospects and pays well enough to make going university worthwhile. Also be sure that there is not tonnes of competition for that job.
Old 01-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,920 Times in 8,212 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Hoanandonly...is there any career path that most interests you?
Old 01-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

You need 2 things:
1. The desire/want to go to School
- This means being excited about being at school, just showing up for class isn't enough.
2. A specific Career path
- You don't want to be taking classes as fillers or just to pass the time. (sometimes unavoidable)

There's an option B:
1. Go to a Community College and take all the lower level classes
2. Transfer to a University
By going to a Community College your going to save a lot of money and it's a good start point.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
rsot (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Education is very important, many starting the first year of college are just 18 years old, and there are not many 18 year old teenagers that have there whole life planned out and it actually ends up that way

Life is always changing, you never know what will happen and your direction will change all through life

The important thing is to get a diploma even if your not sure on what u want to do, whatever you decide to do in life a degree will never hurt to have

Just pick classes that interest you and than a major that your interested in, but don't get to freaked out on whether your picking the right major. You can do anything you want to do , it doesn't matter what the degree is in, it's a piece of paper that will open up doors for you whatever field you decide to work
Old 01-15-2015

Longevity: 64%

read how I write and that will make your decision simple on going to school. it is embarrassing some people think English is not my first language sometimes
Old 01-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

My opinion on school is this:

A diploma is a must.

As for higher education
You should be able to pay for it and NOT get a loan.
Many people get trapped into this and it hinders a LOT of things you want later down the line.

It will be hard....but you need to make the money to do so.

Consider a career to pursue that not only interests you BUT also will HOLD VALUE once you are ready to jump into the field and find a job/career.

There is nothing worse than having a degree that is USELESS and OUTDATED.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigCJ For This Useful Post:
vogeltron (01-16-2015)
Old 01-15-2015
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 61%

The problem Is I have no motivation to go to college. Don't get me wrong I was never a slacker in school. I graduated with a 4.0 gpa. All Ap courses, I have no career path that I want to be on and absolutely will never work under a corporation. My motivation is to be an entrepreneur and no matter what it takes, I will make it happen.
Old 01-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

I'll say this much....sometimes you can get a job without having a degree....I landed an IT job at 24yrs old by just using my verbal skills. After working in the field for 5yrs I decided I wanted to stop and do something else.

From 24 to 30 I sold on Ebay, at 31 I decided to go back to school.....Right now I'm done with my Bachelors Degree and will be going back for my Masters.....The point I want to make is the following: Go to school when your Ready. Don't go because someone else wants you to go. If you can make a decent living off Ebay sales then do it.
Old 01-15-2015

Longevity: 64%

If i could play the song over again.
I would take whatever classes I could that would not interfere with my today life. It cannot hurt you and if you get excited about your education at some point you can at that point full press it and already be ahead.
Old 01-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

I will add that PRIVATE education in the business/investing world is invaluable. Read as many books about money, how it works along with raising capital and cashflow if you want to venture in entrepreneurship.
Also hiring, delegating and being a leader, not a boss.
Old 01-15-2015

Longevity: 57%

It all depends on what you like doing in the future, if you would love to be a doctor or musician or whatever then do whatever it takes to get there, if it requires a diploma then do it. I was kicked out from 4 schools, went threw 3 years in the army, did all the exams for a good university, after 4 month in the university and after passing all their exams i realized that i should focus only on how to make money to buy my freedom, after thousands of hours spent on self learning from the internet im making 3-5 times more then my friends and i'm working only 10-15 hours a week and the rest of the time i keep learning on how to become better and i'm not planning to stop until i got at least 7 figures in my bank. Think carefully where you waste your time, i wish you good luck with your decisions.
Old 01-16-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 10%
Longevity: 66%

Unless you want to be a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer like you mentioned, then for the most part college is a waste. I have two B.A.'s and they don't do much. I am also in a lower cost MBA program more for personal fulfillment than anything else.

In today's world with the skyrocketing costs I would advise against taking out a bunch of money to go to school. I was one of those people who went from Community College then to a cheaper state school. Took my time finishing my undergrad because like you I had other things going on. I paid for my college in full working eBay full time. These people who take out tens of thousands of dollars to go away to school and get a Liberal Arts degree are nuts.

Next time you go out for dinner ask your server what they majored in. That should some it up. I won't say college has zero value but skills in the real world are much more important in today's society.
Old 01-16-2015

Longevity: 73%

Hey Hoanandonly,

In this world a lot of people "talk" yet barely anyone "walks".
What I am saying a resume is pointless;

It is a bunch of talking about things that people say they can do, because they spent 4 years at university, or because they fulfilled a checklist.

For example in Canada if you did french for all 4 years in high school you can officially write on your resume that you are bilingual. Well, guess what, french class is a joke in Canada, and nobody I know that has taken it 4 years can speak it. Yet, it is "official".... lol

Now most university students I met are not walkers, they can talk, talk a lot, but they cant walk at all.

I have business students (schulich school business at york, and rotman at UofT) ask me all the time "how do you make money off ebay".

"Buy something that is demand for less, and sell it for more.... Duh."

This simple method is not taught at business school. They don't even know how to make a single dollar.

Anyways,

If you can show any company/store/firm that you can improve their business in some way you will land a job - This however takes balls and confidence; You got to go head to head with the boss/owner/manager, and show him, walk him through, dont just talk about what you can do. With that being said if you have this much confidence I would rather start my own business, but it whatever floats your boat.

However, I say "try" school. I did university and college and I personally thought more than 2 years was a waste of time.

Within those 2 years it was a learning experience. What did I learn? People forgot to care about their health, forgot to eat, forgot to make real friends, forgot to talk to the opposite sex (virgin paradise or the exact opposite people sleeping around) Nothing wrong being a virgin and nothing wrong with having sex, but c'mon keep it loyal and get out of your mom's basement.

Everyone at school is just focused on marks, too bad marks dont make money, keep you fit, get you a girlfriend/boyfriend, create real friends, land a job/create your own business that pays well.

Please note im 23, I just dropped out of school 2 years ago, my experience is more up-to-date than all the mom's and pop's that went to university 20-60 years ago. University was great back then, but it has not been optimized since the introduction of the internet and our latest technologies. It is outdated...

I went to UofT (University of Toronto@St. George) and also went to Seneca@York (Community College). UofT supposedly being a "top school" worldwide, it was "eh". and Seneca@York was pretty fun, community college is a lot more hands on and you meet older people who have experienced life.

I dont have a degree or a diploma, my business partner has a diploma in HVAC (doesnt apply to anything we do, and hasnt used it at all), and my third business partner does not have anything else either.

Ask yourself this "If everyone has a degree, then how does it make you special?"
Old 01-22-2015

Longevity: 54%

Don't assume that school will land you a well paying job... every school is a business and they will do whatever it takes to make money off from you. I'm sure you have seen articles talking about graduated students without a job..trust me...they're not lying. My friend graduated with an accounting degree + 3.5 gpa and he works as a bus driver in LA. I'm in my last semester and i can't wait to graduate... I wasted a lot of time in school and the money that i took out for loans as well...but hey, just like you...i was pressured by my family and my goal is to get what they want..a degree. I have no interest in my field so I honestly don't think i'm learning anything. Make sure you know what you want to do and be happy with it. Don't get yourself trapped like i am at the moment... i can't really enjoying myself with this student debt attached to my waist...
Old 01-23-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 10%
Longevity: 66%

Exactly what I said. If you go into a program make sure it is absolutely for you. Know you major etc. Make sure to find out where graduates are placed, etc. This is more important than ever. As the other member mentioned even Gov't State Colleges still are in the business of putting students through so they keep their own jobs.

Especially if you have to borrow money. Make sure it is for the right reasons. Consider going to community college or something cheap part time to appease your parent while you figure it out. To be honest 18 to about 22 is hard. Even if you have a plan it is like Puberty 2.0 for most people.
Old 01-23-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 56%

find your passion. Make it your paycheck

Just have faith. one door may open another.

Go to school in the meanwhile. Just create your OWN path. while you find what YOU want in YOUR life.
Old 01-23-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,920 Times in 8,212 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

QUOTE=SilentHill;634390]find your passion. Make it your paycheck

Go to school in the meanwhile. Just create your OWN path. while you find what YOU want in YOUR life.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-23-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
QUOTE=SilentHill;634390]find your passion. Make it your paycheck

Go to school in the meanwhile. Just create your OWN path. while you find what YOU want in YOUR life.

Last edited by SilentHill; 01-23-2015 at 07:23 PM.