VMware and changing computer IP - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 02-05-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 77%
Default VMware and changing computer IP

So I need a new stealth account, if I'm going down the route of a VM machine will I still need to change the mac address on the computer that the VM instance is run from or will the VM instance take care of that on it's own?

I understand I will still need to sort out the Mac on the router but I'm a bit fuzzy about the other bit. Hope that makes sense?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-05-2015

Longevity: 56%
Default Re: VMware and changing computer IP

The MAC address of the host cannot be discovered. Only the mac address of the VM might be visible and that's not a big thing because when yu install a new virtual machine, VMWARE will provide it with a new mac address which is different from other virtual machines and it's also different from the host's mac address.

BUT, if your internet connection goes through a router, you should worry about the router's mac address first because that one is 'more' visible than the host/ VM mac addresses.

LE: If you will use a VPN, only the mac address of the VPN server should be visible at the other end. However, make sure you use a VPN service which is not very well known. The probability of some other stealth account to be created on the same VPN server is pretty low with small/ not very well known VPN providers.

PS: this is my knowledge that I gained so far in terms of mac addresses. Don't take this for granted because I am no expert.

Last edited by Rufus; 02-05-2015 at 10:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rufus For This Useful Post:
avarel (02-11-2015), yllinu (02-12-2015)
Old 02-05-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the reply, that's music to my ears. I invested a while ago in a router where I can change the MAC so I'm not so worried about that bit. Thanks for clearing that up for me on the VMware front though.
Old 02-05-2015

It sounds like you're good to go
Old 02-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Amazon tracking of the MAC address is a big myth
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
aycapitalgroup (02-10-2015)
Old 02-05-2015

Longevity: 53%

Quote:
Amazon tracking of the MAC address is a big myth
It's amazing how these big companies get away with these types of invasion of privacy.
Old 02-05-2015
MU

Longevity: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
The MAC address of the host cannot be discovered. Only the mac address of the VM might be visible and that's not a big thing because when yu install a new virtual machine, VMWARE will provide it with a new mac address which is different from other virtual machines and it's also different from the host's mac address.

BUT, if your internet connection goes through a router, you should worry about the router's mac address first because that one is 'more' visible than the host/ VM mac addresses.

LE: If you will use a VPN, only the mac address of the VPN server should be visible at the other end. However, make sure you use a VPN service which is not very well known. The probability of some other stealth account to be created on the same VPN server is pretty low with small/ not very well known VPN providers.

PS: this is my knowledge that I gained so far in terms of mac addresses. Don't take this for granted because I am no expert.
I want to ask you Rufus, I only use a DSL Modem, not Router, can Amazon track my Modem MAC Adress?
Old 02-05-2015

As some people have already mentioned, Amazon should not be able to see your MAC address. I have done some experiments on amazon in this regard and it turned out that the mac address had no influence over the results.

But, if you want to be on the safe side, you should get rid of the DSL modem. I know that this implies a new internet connection/ provider but, unfortunately, the DSL modem has a mac address, too. It should be printed on its label or it should be found in its settings page (accessible through a browser when one of the following addresses are being requested: 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1 or through a dedicated address - depends on the manufacturer of the modem).

However, the simplest solution (but still safe) is virtual machine + VPN.
The most complex and safest solution: new PC/ MAC + new router/ cable modem/ internet dongle/ smartphone tethering solution + new internet provider.

This has recently became very important:

I would NEVER recommend new user on old OS, old PC/ MAC. For those which are still tempted to try this method, please read below about canvas fingerprinting (I know most of you already know about this but it's not a waste of time to refresh some of the information :D):

Canvas fingerprinting is being done in the browser, indeed, but it manages to access the video card through a tiny little picture, asking the device to render a tiny 3d image or a line of text. The way this 3d image/ line of text is being renderd identifies the GPU of a specific video card. Furthermore, there are studies indicating that the CPU speed & amount of cache and also the amount of RAM in a specific machine can be established this way. So when you know so many information which are provided by the browser itself (cookies, flash cookies, javascripts...all of them are able to indicate your location, your DNS zone, your plugins, your fonts, your timezone etc etc) and you add another 3 important techinical specs about a specific machine in this equation (CPU, RAM, GPU/ Video Card) you got yourself almost an unique profile.

I checked amazon (as a buyer not with my recently suspended seller profile!) with some browser extensions which indicate if a website is using this fingerprinting method and the results were negative. But you never know when they start using canvas fingerprinting...especially if some of the tests on this new technology have been done by using 294 users on AMAZON Mechanical Turk.

Last edited by Rufus; 02-05-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufus For This Useful Post:
pandoraaj009 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015
MU

Longevity: 68%

Quote:

What about if I use only ADSL Modem, Amazon still can track the MAC of the Modem?
Old 02-06-2015

Longevity: 54%

Quote:

However, the simplest solution (but still safe) is virtual machine + VPN.
The most complex and safest solution: new PC/ MAC + new router/ cable modem/ internet dongle/ smartphone tethering solution + new internet provider.

This has recently became very important:

I would NEVER recommend new user on old OS, old PC/ MAC. For those which are still tempted to try this method, please read below about canvas fingerprinting (I know most of you already know about this but it's not a waste of time to refresh some of the information :D):

Thank you so much for this info.

In terms of the safest option you mentioned:

If I use a brand new iPhone to tether to a brand new laptop, would this work? Would I need to switch cell providers in the same way I'd need to switch ISPs?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Old 02-07-2015

Complete overkill.

Amazon do not see your MAC address. That's it the end.

They also don't employ browser fingerprinting and it's highly unlikely that they ever will do. The cost of this against its actual usefulness would be prohibitive. A large number of people myself included only switch windows user accounts and have had no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-07-2015

As I mentioned above Amazon does not seem to be able to see the mac address and they also don't seem to do canvas fingerprinting.
BUT they certainly watch cookies and small browser details like plugins, fonts etc...which are all browser fingerprinting methods.
I wouldn't be so sure that in the future they will not start using other complex fingerprinting methods.
Old 02-07-2015

Longevity: 55%

Quote:
As I mentioned above Amazon does not seem to be able to see the mac address and they also don't seem to do canvas fingerprinting.
BUT they certainly watch cookies and small browser details like plugins, fonts etc...which are all browser fingerprinting methods.
I wouldn't be so sure that in the future they will not start using other complex fingerprinting methods.
Correct Rufus, but for what know of so far they cannot use browser fingerprinting. So everyone is safe for the foreseeable future on that score and who knows what the future beyond that point!
The Following User Says Thank You to RosieTosie For This Useful Post:
Rufus (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015

Browser finger printing is more complex than that.

Of course nobody knows what direction Amazon will go in. But to store the browser Fingerprint details of every customer, then cross reference them with everyone who logs in would take a lot of resources.

And most people will have a unique browser every time they log in. Even if they don't knowingly change a single thing. Making it a pretty pointless And very expensive method of detecting a few sellers with multiple accounts.

No to mention the fact that Apple sell millions of identical iPads/ phones on launch day every year. If Amazon were using browser fingerprinting everyone logging in with a new iPad would be suspended. They may implement it one day but i doubt it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barrycruan For This Useful Post:
RosieTosie (02-07-2015), Rufus (02-07-2015)
Old 02-16-2015

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrycruan View Post
Complete overkill.

Amazon do not see your MAC address. That's it the end.

They also don't employ browser fingerprinting and it's highly unlikely that they ever will do. The cost of this against its actual usefulness would be prohibitive. A large number of people myself included only switch windows user accounts and have had no problems whatsoever.
I believe they do not track MAC at least in configuration below:
Same Wifi adapter with spoofed mac on vmware + same wireless hotspot

Not sure about fingerprinting
Aamzon at least uses Adobe Analytics when u sign up for new account
(marketing purposes perhaps?))

also consider a time frame, login/creating completely different accounts but lets say with same kind of gift card in few hours increasing your chances to fail