Whats the best shave - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 11-13-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
Default Whats the best shave

I'm about to hit 21, so my beard is starting to sprout in kinda thick. What shaving method do the rest of you guys use. I first started with the cheap disposable razors, but its like using sand paper. Bumps, in-grown hairs, knicks and irritation. I started using the mach 3. Its a little better, no cuts, less irritation and alot less bumps.

My question is what is the best/good way to shave to get that baby smooth face without the drawbacks. Wet/dry shave, electric shaving, dual edge razors, or hair removing cream. I been looking at going the old fashion way and using dual edge razor with a badger brush and a good shaving cream. I never been a fan of electric shavers but I'm willing to try. I dont want to spend no more than $50 for one. And what about after shave, or would some lotion do the job.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-14-2008
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

You can't get any more off topic then this for this forum! LOL :D

But since you're asking for opinions...

Gillette Fusion (has 5 blades on the shaving side)

Edge Gel (or any high quality gel)

With the Gillette Fusion, I only have to replace the blade once every 6 months.
Old 11-14-2008

If you want the ultimate in smoothness in terms of shaving, I would recommend all natural whipped Shea Butter...
Old 11-14-2008
Threadstarter  

I been wanting to get off the canned shaving gel. But I figured I might as well use it since it aint running out anytime soon. But I'm going to look into the gillette fusion and a good shaving cream.
Old 11-15-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Lol... is this what the forum has come to?

Just kidding... funny topic..
Old 11-15-2008

Activity: 2%
Longevity: 91%

Something I recently learned from my older (by 2 years) brother when I went home for my mother's funeral was that, if you use a disposable razor, you'll want to make sure you use cold water to rinse it off, as you go along. Why the cold water in the sink, instead of hot? Hot water will warp the aluminum blades that are now being used in disposable razors. Cold water will not.

I read in Consumer Reports, quite some time ago, that disposable razors are just as good as the more expensive, blade cartridge-replaceable razors. You should get about 13 shaves from a typical disposable razor.

I, personally, use Gillette CustomPlus razors. They've got a pivoting head, soft, comfortable grip, two blades and a lubricating strip (Aloe & Vitamin E). You might want to try several types of disposable razors until you find one that you're comfortable using.

So... first rinse your face with hot water (or place a hot wash cloth over the area to be shaved for a while), then fill the sink with cold water (no need to leave the faucet running while shaving - such a waste of water), lather up, let it sit about a minute and then shave, taking time, after each pass, to rinse the razor off in the cold water.

Better yet, if you have the nerves, learn how to use a straight razor. They're not just for slasher movies, you know.

A few articles you might want to read:

Saving Face - The New York Times (September 16, 1990)

How to Shave Your Face Without the Irritation - Associated Content (Mar 05, 2006)

Wet Shaving - From Wikipedia

Quote:
Despite the introduction of more and more blades, reviewers accuse giants like Gillette and Schick of taking advantage of consumers' gullibility, maintaining that three (or even two) blades are all you need for a reasonably close (and reasonably cheap) shave. The latest trick up the manufacturers' sleeves is incorporating a battery into these razors -- hence the Gillette M3 Power (*Est. $14), the Fusion Power (*Est. $12) and the Schick Quattro Power (*Est. $13). We didn't find any reviewer that preferred these vibrating razors to their cheaper manual counterparts.
Razors Reviews - ConsumerSearch.com (Updated April 2008)

Quote:
Back in my undergrad days, a prof showed us photomicrographs of a razor edge with tiny mineral crystals on it. He said the crystals were the reason for "razor burn," as they created an irregular edge.

He said the way to avoid it was to rinse the blade in COLD water only, dunking it in alcohol immediately after rinsing for the last time and placing it to dry with the edges facing up. He said that the old "razor strop" was just a way of clearing the crystals off the edge of a straight razor.

I've been using his technique for many years. It worked with the older stainless blades, but works even better with the newer ones. I routinely get fifteen to twenty really good shaves out of one blade
Corrosion engineering - Keep razor blades sharp

And there's always sites like Youtube.com.
I like this video - How To Shave like a Pro, which somewhat backs up the steps that Modee outlined, above.
Old 11-15-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyGotMeToo View Post
You can't get any more off topic then this for this forum! LOL :D

But since you're asking for opinions...

Gillette Fusion (has 5 blades on the shaving side)

Edge Gel (or any high quality gel)

With the Gillette Fusion, I only have to replace the blade once every 6 months.
yeah I only cut myself once but that was like out of 4 months of using it.
Old 11-15-2008
Banned

Longevity: 92%

Modee that's some good tips there man. Do you do all that which you stated?
How long does that razor last?
Old 11-15-2008
Banned

Wow! You take care of yourself a lot. Your like my grandpa he tends to himself a couple hours a day and he looks like he's 75 rather than 82.

How much does each replacement blade cost?
Old 11-15-2008
Banned

That's a pretty good price.

Two factors make anybody look young: happiness and money.
I'm pretty sure you got both covered buddy.
Old 11-16-2008
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
The full regimen involves proper diet, supplements, exercise, staying out of the sun...no smoking, no drinking, no drugs...
No drugs, darn, what else is there for young folks to do then? Seriously, I can do the no drugs and no smoking part but my diet consists of mcdonalds.
Old 11-16-2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
my diet consists of mcdonalds.
That's funny, man! Made me laugh!