Paypal sent tax info to IRS, but IRS says they didn't receive anything - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 03-24-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default Paypal sent tax info to IRS, but IRS says they didn't receive anything

So I went to an accountant and showed them the tax information paypal sent me and sent the IRS.

They called the IRS to find out exactly what information they have.

Turns out, they have nothing. My paypal has my SS number, but also an EIN number. i have NO idea where paypal would have even gotten an EIN number from. I do not have one, but paypal seems to have one for me.

So now, I'm not sure what to do.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-24-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%
Default Re: Paypal sent tax info to IRS, but IRS says they didn't receive anything

so if the IRS has no info, what is the problem?

Just do accounting as usual. The 1099K really does not effect you or your accountant in any way.
Old 03-24-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: Paypal sent tax info to IRS, but IRS says they didn't receive anything

PP has your SSN? Hmm
Old 03-25-2015

Longevity: 56%

The EIN have to be unused right? can you have more than 10 and paypal will never see it's you? just like with bank accounts just more expensive, am I right?
As long as you supply them an EIN they don't need any other doc's like bills,invoices etc..?
Old 03-25-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klemantina View Post
The EIN have to be unused right? can you have more than 10 and paypal will never see it's you? just like with bank accounts just more expensive, am I right?
As long as you supply them an EIN they don't need any other doc's like bills,invoices etc..?
Look, please do not take a thread off topic with these questions.

The sensible reply is that even with supplying EINs etc, paypal always has the right to ask for invoices.
Old 03-25-2015

Longevity: 56%

I asked it here and didn't open a new thread because I think the answers to my questions might also help James.
Old 03-25-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
PP has your SSN? Hmm
It's a legit account, so yes. Not worried there
Old 03-25-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
so if the IRS has no info, what is the problem?

Just do accounting as usual. The 1099K really does not effect you or your accountant in any way.
I"m going to be starting up an S corp, so I plan to have everything legitimate for this year.

But until then, I'm just curious what the IRS will do with the info they have. I still have no clue what EIN they are using and where they got it from. Can you just make up a number when signing up for paypal? Is that what I did oh so many years ago?

I mean, will the IRS go to paypal and ask them who I am? If i ignore the 1099K, I don't want to be bitten in the ass later on.
Old 03-25-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klemantina View Post
Yes, unused. Paypal will never see who you are. And yes, much more expensive, because you have to setup a business. EBAY can still ask for invoices if they so choose.
Old 03-25-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
I"m going to be starting up an S corp, so I plan to have everything legitimate for this year.

But until then, I'm just curious what the IRS will do with the info they have. I still have no clue what EIN they are using and where they got it from. Can you just make up a number when signing up for paypal? Is that what I did oh so many years ago?

I mean, will the IRS go to paypal and ask them who I am? If i ignore the 1099K, I don't want to be bitten in the ass later on.
Sounds like a couple issues will be instantly resolved when you upgrade to business and add an EIN.
IF this is a paypal friendly account, you can call paypal and chat with them about options. They will tell you to make a new account and leave this one.
If you go this route, I STRONGLY suggest going the stealth route and wait until paypal demands on the second request for tax info and then upgrade. This will keep it off your SS number and just business name/EIN.

If this is 100% stealth, when you UPGRADE to business ALL old info is irrelevant and PayPal will report to whatever NEW info you give them. Even if it is on December 30th.

Paypal is not going to ask the IRS who you are. To my understanding it is impossible to do so anyways. Basically paypal/amazon etc... can ask "Is this info accurate" with a YES or NO answer.
Old 03-25-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Sounds like a couple issues will be instantly resolved when you upgrade to business and add an EIN.
IF this is a paypal friendly account, you can call paypal and chat with them about options. They will tell you to make a new account and leave this one.
If you go this route, I STRONGLY suggest going the stealth route and wait until paypal demands on the second request for tax info and then upgrade. This will keep it off your SS number and just business name/EIN.

If this is 100% stealth, when you UPGRADE to business ALL old info is irrelevant and PayPal will report to whatever NEW info you give them. Even if it is on December 30th.

Paypal is not going to ask the IRS who you are. To my understanding it is impossible to do so anyways. Basically paypal/amazon etc... can ask "Is this info accurate" with a YES or NO answer.
What I mean, was if the IRS will ask paypal who I am. I received an email 6 months ago from paypal

Quote:
Dear james pogrebetsky,

I have attempted to reach you regarding information we have received from the IRS that your 1099K did not match IRS records. If you could please return my call at 888-221-1161 at your earliest convenience. We are available Monday-Friday 6:00 AM – 12:00 AM CST and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 AM – 10:00 PM CST. We look forward to speaking with you soon to ensure everything is updated on your PayPal Account.
So I changed the business name on my account, to my personal name. And they stopped bothering me. I don't know why Paypal asked me this so late in the year. Perhaps it was from the previous year? I don't know.

I have a business account right now by the way.

I can't start a new paypal ( I don't think?) because they limits would be just way too low. I gross $8k a month.

So why would paypal tell me to leave this account? There is an option to change the EIN on it. It is a good account, but I still don't want to risk calling in and asking about it, just in case. Not yet at least.