Ebay and IP Gateways - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 07-31-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 97%
Default Ebay and IP Gateways

Hi, recently suspended here. I won't go into details as I am sick to death about it. What I am wondering is if Ebay and Paypal only track IP not gateway? Now this is weird....I have road runner at home and each time I plug in a different device with a MAC ID I get a different IP. It seems like the IP is static based on the MAC ID. My router, desktop, and laptop all get a different IP when plugged in directly into the modem. BUT, my gateway is still the same. Even if I unplug the modem for hours the IP is still the same, on each device. In theory, I've hit the jackpot. I could buy countless USB nic cards and switch my IP based on account. I haven't tested it yet, but VMWare installs a virtual NIC for each OS and it may have a different IP for each one too. Wouldn't that be great?

Does anyone have any real experience with this? Does Ebay track gateways? I mean, my whole neighborhood is probably on the same gateway. They can't suspend everybody. Well I guess they could ;-> Thanks.

Coop
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-31-2007
Threadstarter  

Sorry, the gateway is basically the main server that all "local" Internet traffic passes through at your ISP. You can go to cmd type ipconfig /all and see what gateway you are on. Since that theoretically you can have thousands of IP's on the same gateway, there seems no logical way for Ebay to track it. I may be answering my own question. If others can share please do. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

It's just to do with your IP address. Make sure yours is different before creating an account and you're good to go.
Old 08-01-2007
Threadstarter  

Thanks Aspkin, I kind of figured as much. I think I need to explain what is happening as I have not seen this way to change your IP address in any of the information I have read.

I have cable broadband (Road Runner) and I am not able to reset my IP. Even Time-Warner will not do it, I tried for days. Of course I also tried leaving the modem unplugged for minutes and then hours and when I plugged it back in the IP would still be the same. Then I decided to take my laptop over to the modem and try to plug in directly and do the ipconfig /release renew thing. I noticed I had a different IP address when I booted up, Great. So, I plugged back in my wireless router thinking the IP was changed. I went to whatismyip and it was back to the old dangerous IP address. So, I plugged the cat5 back into my laptop and it was changed again. Then I took the modem over to my desktop and did the same thing there. What do you know I got an entirely different IP address. Last night I installed a second NIC card in my desktop and it too has a totally new IP address. I now have 4 different IP addresses in my house. Only one is flagged for my old account. All I need to do in order to change my IP address is buy cheap USB Ethernet adapters.

If others can please try this for verification. You can just unplug your modem from your router and plug it in straight into your LAN port on your computer. After that you MUST unplug your modem for a minute and reboot your computer. Write down your IP before and after. You can check it at WhatIsMyIP.com - 74.53.11.194

Every day out of Ebay is destroying me, I was making so much money I almost quit my real job. I guess, thank God I was suspended and brought back to my senses. With a baby on the way, I need this Ebay money back. I was not doing any wrong or illegal or unethical activity. I had a 100% feedback (over 800) and lived for my buyers.

I hope this works for those struggling to change IP's or having to go the coffee shop like some illegal spy. Please let us know if it works. It may only work for cable modems, on Road Runner, in North Carolina. Let's hope not. Thanks.