Would this be a good idea? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 08-03-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%
Default Would this be a good idea?

Hows this for an idea. I have cable internet but I would be willing to open a cheap dial up internet account such as netzero, etc. Something cheap, like around $15 a month, just to use strictly for the multiple ebay accounts. Since your IP changes everytime you login, wouldnt this be a cheap method of preventing your multiple ebay accounts from being linked? I dont plan on using ebay to powersell, but I would like to still list 5 to 10 items a day to sell and also use them to indirectly promote my website.
This seems like an easy way to just use a 2nd computer just to use dial up to create multiple ebay accounts and use them without being caught. Any advice from the board pros on this?

Keith
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-03-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

You'll have to disconnect between accounts, and make sure you delete you cookies, but it's an easy way to have a new IP each time.
Old 08-03-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
You'll have to disconnect between accounts, and make sure you delete you cookies, but it's an easy way to have a new IP each time.
Ok, sorry for all the questions, I am trying to read as much as possible before posting.

I have Comcast cable internet with 1 Linksys router and 1 cable modem. 1 laptop running wireless and 1 desktop connected directly through router. I do not want to mess with the cable internet connect if I can avoid it which is why I considered the dial up just for checking ebay off and on and a couple listings a day.

Is there a quick way of changing up IPs on my laptop using the MAC address changing software or is this alot of trouble? Basically if my account gets suspended I just want to do away with the IP address that it knows me by now correct? Once that IP is gone then Im in the clear until a further suspension?

Thanks for the help, you guys are great!
Old 08-03-2007
Threadstarter  

Ok, heres my ip config info so hopefully this will be easy to advise me on. Wont list it exactly since Im paranoid about who sees it. But anyway:

My actual computers ip is: 68.**.229.***

When I do ip config in command prompt it shows the wireless notebook card in my laptop - Linksys Wireless G notebook adaptor with speedbooster

Then it says under that my ip address is 192.168.1.100 (which I think is my router correct?)

It says the lease was obtained on August 3rd and will expire august 4th.

I cant seem to get the actual PCs ip address to change no matter what I do with the router or modem...

As far as the dial up and cable goes, what did you mean by disconnecting? I assume, simply unplugging dial up when not in use and when using dial up unplug cable modem?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 08-03-2007
Threadstarter  

This is directly from Comcast but Im not sure what this means.

"FAQ

Connection > General
How many IP addresses do I receive with the Comcast High-Speed Internet Service?
Comcast provides and authorizes 1 dynamically assigned IP address per residential High-Speed Internet account. You have the option of purchasing up to 4 additional IP addresses, for a total of 5 dynamic IP addresses. Please contact us for additional details. "

Does dynamic IP mean I should not even bother to attempt to change my IP address manually? From what they say it looks like they only allow you 1 set ip address.
Old 08-03-2007
Threadstarter  

I saw one post that some guys bought a Wireless Belkin router and it let them change their MAC address at will, therefore changing their IP addresses along with it. If thats a possible solution I will gladly shell out the $ for the Belkin router...
Old 08-03-2007
Banned

Longevity: 97%

I think you can just unplug your router and cable modem for like 30 minutes and get a new ip address.
Old 08-03-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesmith View Post
I think you can just unplug your router and cable modem for like 30 minutes and get a new ip address.
Cool, I will try that.

Do you know if just buying a 2nd modem will then cause each computer to have a seperate IP address? That is what I really want, to just run each computer on a seperate IP. Since comcast states they allow 1 dynamic IP per account, I think a 2nd modem would require me to buy another IP from them. I will look into this also. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2007
Threadstarter  

Comcast claims that I cannot run 2 modems unless I get a 2nd line of contract (2nd cable internet account, and seperate bill). Theres no way I am paying another $45 a month to those comcast @$$holes. I will have to look into getting a modem where if I need to login to ebay I will 1st change my MAC and IP address. Any further info on that would be helpful. Thanks
Old 08-04-2007

Cable internet takes longer to change ips from 30 minutes to overnight and you have to do a config/release command

Dsl modem you just unplug for 3o seconds and it changes the ips

below is a quote from an dsl service compamy explaining how to setup network and create your own ips with a router

"You must first decide two things about your network: 1) Are you going to use our supplied IPs or a router to create your own? 2) Are you going to run wires to each PC or use a non-wired solution (such as wireless or powerline adapters)

You either need an IP for each PC or you need a router that will create additional IPs for you, such as a "wireless router" or a "DSL router". Using extra IPs is the easiest way to setup a home network, but using a DSL router or wireless router will also work"

they are saying using just a router will also work

Aspkin uses 2 modems

above they say just the router is needed and works ,does anyone know more on this ,i have been looking ,would be nice to find a guide to set up 2 or more ips with a router .
Old 08-04-2007

It amazes me at the amount of misinformation that creeps into new threads. If you would only take the time to read previous posts, all of your questions would be answered...correctly.
Old 08-04-2007
Threadstarter  

I am planning on getting an iphone shortly anyway. Would accessing ebay on its browser log a different IP everytime? Is this a safe way to access multiple accounts?
Old 08-04-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2145HAMILTONAVECA95125 View Post
Cable internet takes longer to change ips from 30 minutes to overnight and you have to do a config/release command

Dsl modem you just unplug for 3o seconds and it changes the ips

below is a quote from an dsl service compamy explaining how to setup network and create your own ips with a router

"You must first decide two things about your network: 1) Are you going to use our supplied IPs or a router to create your own? 2) Are you going to run wires to each PC or use a non-wired solution (such as wireless or powerline adapters)

You either need an IP for each PC or you need a router that will create additional IPs for you, such as a "wireless router" or a "DSL router". Using extra IPs is the easiest way to setup a home network, but using a DSL router or wireless router will also work"

they are saying using just a router will also work

Aspkin uses 2 modems

above they say just the router is needed and works ,does anyone know more on this ,i have been looking ,would be nice to find a guide to set up 2 or more ips with a router .
I have two modems from Time Warner Cable. One is connected to my router which servers the rest of the house, and one is dedicated to my main desktop. I got it this way because changing an ip that's hooked up to a router was becoming a pain. An extra $20 a month and it only takes me about 30 seconds to change instead of an hour.

Routers like to retain the IP at times. At least my d-link does and it makes it a pain.
Old 08-04-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL07 View Post
I am planning on getting an iphone shortly anyway. Would accessing ebay on its browser log a different IP everytime? Is this a safe way to access multiple accounts?
You should be okay... if it works. The ip should be different each time.

And about your Comcast... The IP is static from the last I've heard. You can't change it unless you get a new modem. If I remember correctly.
Old 08-04-2007
Threadstarter  

aspkin, for the 2nd router what is the $20 charge for? I talked to one comcast rep who claimed I cannot use 2 modems but i think he was an idiot, i seemed to be answering more of my own questions than he was. Is time warner basically charging you a seperate cable line fee bc its 2 connections?
Old 08-04-2007
Administrator

It's a modem. And yes for the second line it was $20 a month.

TWC and Comcast are really different. TWC IPs are dynamic. Comcast are static.. you can't change the IP at will. Going with dial up would probably be your best bet. If you can stand dialup.
Old 08-04-2007
Banned

Quote:
You should be okay... if it works. The ip should be different each time.

And about your Comcast... The IP is static from the last I've heard. You can't change it unless you get a new modem. If I remember correctly.
I change my comcast Ip anytime I want. Every comcast modem has 2 ip's. ! is through the ethernet and the other is throught he usb
Old 08-04-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
I change my comcast Ip anytime I want. Every comcast modem has 2 ip's. ! is through the ethernet and the other is throught he usb
I dont know how your doing this. After I was told by Comcast that there is no way to change your IP "at will", I googled this for over 2 hours and there doesnt seem to be anyway to change your comcast IP address according to all the tech forums I read. They said the only way it will change is if you add a different modem or a new NIC card or change your MAC address. But if you change your MAC address, Comcast claims you have to call them to get it setup to start working off the new MAC address. Im not about to phone their tech support everytime I change the MAC. What would be my best solution here with having Comcast?
Old 08-04-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
It's a modem. And yes for the second line it was $20 a month.

TWC and Comcast are really different. TWC IPs are dynamic. Comcast are static.. you can't change the IP at will. Going with dial up would probably be your best bet. If you can stand dialup.
I was actually considering a switch to Verizon DSL anyway, with DSL can you change the IP address at will as easily as dial up? Also I read in a few forums that with dial up you are basically connecting to one of maybe 60 modems at the dial up hub and its possible to often get the same IP more than once if your connecting to the same local # for dial up. Wouldn't this get you flagged on ebay if you accidentally came across this IP you used prior? Sorry, this whole IP thing is the only part I am totally confused about. I just want to figure out a foolproof method before I spend any money on a new modem/router, etc.

Aspkin, do you use the same 2 IP addresses all the time then or on your one PC do you change it often to avoid being on the same IP for too long a period?
Old 08-04-2007
Threadstarter  

For the people who have 1 or 2 active accounts and then some backups, do you basically have to change your IP everytime before you register a new account so they never can be linked by ebay if one gets suspended? And do you also have to change IP before you access each account? If Im understanding this, and you want to make sure each account stays seperate, and never gets linked to one another by ebay, if your going to be using the same computer then you would want to change IP addresses everytime you login to any of these seperate ebay accounts correct?

Aspkin, am I correct in assuming that you use your one computer to access all your accounts but change the IP often? How often do you change it to stay safe?
Old 08-05-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL07 View Post
I dont know how your doing this. After I was told by Comcast that there is no way to change your IP "at will", I googled this for over 2 hours and there doesnt seem to be anyway to change your comcast IP address according to all the tech forums I read. They said the only way it will change is if you add a different modem or a new NIC card or change your MAC address. But if you change your MAC address, Comcast claims you have to call them to get it setup to start working off the new MAC address. Im not about to phone their tech support everytime I change the MAC. What would be my best solution here with having Comcast?
NOOT TRUE!
Old 08-05-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
NOOT TRUE!
Ok, well can you please post a step by step guide on how you do it then? Bc I have tried everything posted on here so far and nothing I have done will change my comcast IP address. I am using a Linksys wireless router, 1 desktop plugged into the router and 1 laptop using a wireless card to access the router.