Package held in US Customs - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-03-2008
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 4%
Longevity: 91%
Default Package held in US Customs

Does anybody know the precedure for getting packages out of US Customs? Do they hold them and eventually release them? Do I need to call to have it released? I have an item that was shipped and its been sitting in US customs for days. Thanks.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-03-2008
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%

They usually stay in customs for up to 48 hours before being released. Dont worry about them being held. They should come. What did you order btw?
Old 12-03-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

48 hours huh, lol. It has been 2 weeks, tracking still says submitted to US customs. I ordered a pair of shoes as a gift for my wife.
Old 12-03-2008
MU

Longevity: 92%

NOPE you wont be seeing that package..consider it a lost
Old 12-03-2008
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%

It all depends on the country and several other factors.

I have checked the tracking on packages I have already received, and the tracking still said they were in customs even weeks after I had my package. Sometimes they Never update their tracking.

This is not to say the case with your package, but its still early.
Old 12-03-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

yea i figured that. From now on I am not ordering anything internationally with no insurance.
Old 12-03-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyGotMeToo View Post
It all depends on the country and several other factors.

I have checked the tracking on packages I have already received, and the tracking still said they were in customs even weeks after I had my package. Sometimes they Never update their tracking.

This is not to say the case with your package, but its still early.

Yea but 2 weeks is a long time, even if they didnt update the tracking I would have gotten them a long time ago. Im just surprized that they dont tell you anything, mail you a letter, etc.
Old 12-03-2008
Executive [VIP]

Wow thats not good. At most mine have been in for two days. Try contacting them.
Old 12-03-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

yea, i will see if i can find a number to contact.
Old 12-04-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

This ridiculous, if its not one thing its another. Now every package I order internationally is getting held by customs. I think Im tapping out of the online selling game. :(
Old 12-05-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

Yeah I have had packages held for weeks by customs and also sometimes it will still show up as held but it is sometimes on its way to you.
Old 12-05-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpme1 View Post
Yeah I have had packages held for weeks by customs and also sometimes it will still show up as held but it is sometimes on its way to you.
So did all your packages that were held eventually come? Do they send you any kind of information letting you know what is going on? I don't care if they have to hold them for awhile, just as long as I eventually get them. I am just confused as I have ordered stuff for awhile now and all of a sudden now 2 in a row are being held. All ordered from the same person coming from the same place. The first is going on 3 weeks now.

Usually it will always release from customs the next day and it will show in the tracking.

Maybe I need to change the shipping address??
Old 12-05-2008
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via Yahoo to philly387

Once you get one package held by customs, almost all of them will be. You have to have the packages shipped to someone else at a different address. I've been through this game before.
Old 12-06-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Ok, well both of them were released today. Thank God. That was 2 grand worth of merchandise. Im happy now!!!

I will be shipping to a new address from now on.
Old 12-02-2009

Longevity: 83%
Unhappy Help???????????

I placed a oder of 1 carton of Djarum Blacks thru Clovecigaretteshop.com on Nov.20 2009. I just saw yesterday they had reach the US and it said held by customs. My question is what happens now? It's not over the limit of cigarettes that can b sent to the US,it's only 160 cigs. What 2 do now?????
Old 12-02-2009

Customs has been clamping down in the last week. I had 10 packages come in, 4 of them got "diverted". I am guessing gone forever. Why those 4 and not all 10??
Old 12-06-2009

Longevity: 84%

Bulk shipments usually always get held up, how do I know? The last 2 boxes I ordered got held up for 2 weeks out of 50 single boxes that all went straight threw, go figure.
Old 12-06-2009

Longevity: 85%

It's a random hold-up, but there's some logic to it. First of all is the quantity. If it is a whole lot of the same items there is a bigger chance for a hold. Secondly, if the address is in the Western US zone with the zip codes starting with 9, 8 and 7 it is a bigger chance to be held up than the Eastern and the Middle US zones. However, needless to say that even zip starting with let say 6 (Kansas City, MO) which is supposed to fly to the Chicago O'Hare customs hub may easily be loaded on the plane to SF. That will maximize the chance of hold up, which is often leads to the customs tariffs. The customs will levy every item in the package with an entry tariffs and instruct the USPS not to release the parcel to the addressee before collecting the tariffs amount. Very often it is a two weeks customs hold, which will come with the US Customs invoice to the USPS office. (Once I got lucky - the mailman forgot to collect the tariffs from me and handed me the parcel with the customs invoice! He never came back to ask for money, but this is like winning a lottery - extremely rare). If the parcel is held up for less than two weeks - even after one week hold - it is often released free of tariffs. It's is normally a random 10% probability of tariffs levied on international non-commercial merchandise items. Chicago and NY customs hubs almost never assess tariffs. It is not necesserily a rule that once your parcel got tariffs it will always be held up and levied. Of course, it is safer to use multiple addresses, but realistically speaking - if you import a lot of **** from abroad, especially China, how many valid addresses can you have to constantly be changing them? Not too many. Get a few and alternate them sparingly, if you can. Also, if you are in the West, change the first digit of your zip to Eastern or Central US zip code to minimize the chance of it going through the Western customs hub. The USPS will re-route your package to you overnight free of charge once it clears the customs in the safe harbor of Chicago or NY and they will figure out your correct destination. Do not order loads of ****.

Last edited by stealth; 12-06-2009 at 11:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stealth For This Useful Post:
metroline (04-04-2010)
Old 12-07-2009

Longevity: 90%

how much tariff are we tallking about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth View Post
It's a random hold-up, but there's some logic to it. First of all is the quantity. If it is a whole lot of the same items there is a bigger chance for a hold. Secondly, if the address is in the Western US zone with the zip codes starting with 9, 8 and 7 it is a bigger chance to be held up than the Eastern and the Middle US zones. However, needless to say that even zip starting with let say 6 (Kansas City, MO) which is supposed to fly to the Chicago O'Hare customs hub may easily be loaded on the plane to SF. That will maximize the chance of hold up, which is often leads to the customs tariffs. The customs will levy every item in the package with an entry tariffs and instruct the USPS not to release the parcel to the addressee before collecting the tariffs amount. Very often it is a two weeks customs hold, which will come with the US Customs invoice to the USPS office. (Once I got lucky - the mailman forgot to collect the tariffs from me and handed me the parcel with the customs invoice! He never came back to ask for money, but this is like winning a lottery - extremely rare). If the parcel is held up for less than two weeks - even after one week hold - it is often released free of tariffs. It's is normally a random 10% probability of tariffs levied on international non-commercial merchandise items. Chicago and NY customs hubs almost never assess tariffs. It is not necesserily a rule that once your parcel got tariffs it will always be held up and levied. Of course, it is safer to use multiple addresses, but realistically speaking - if you import a lot of **** from abroad, especially China, how many valid addresses can you have to constantly be changing them? Not too many. Get a few and alternate them sparingly, if you can. Also, if you are in the West, change the first digit of your zip to Eastern or Central US zip code to minimize the chance of it going through the Western customs hub. The USPS will re-route your package to you overnight free of charge once it clears the customs in the safe harbor of Chicago or NY and they will figure out your correct destination. Do not order loads of ****.
Old 12-07-2009
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety View Post
I placed a oder of 1 carton of Djarum Blacks thru Clovecigaretteshop.com on Nov.20 2009. I just saw yesterday they had reach the US and it said held by customs. My question is what happens now? It's not over the limit of cigarettes that can b sent to the US,it's only 160 cigs. What 2 do now?????
haha, we used to smoke those all the time a few years black.
Old 12-10-2009

Longevity: 85%

Over 30% of what they appraise the item at.
Old 12-12-2009

I have the same thing with cutoms holding my packaging for over a week now, have you guys had any expeiernece using a customs broker and do they help expedite the process to get the package through without any trouble. I called around and a they charge about $150 for their service.
Any thoughs?