Starting July 17th Buyers Can File Cliams with eBay AND PayPal! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 06-29-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Starting July 17th Buyers Can File Cliams with eBay AND PayPal!

PayPal sent a notice about the breakup and the official date in now July 17th. No big news there, we knew it was coming.

The BIG NEWS is that buyers who now must choose to file a claim with EITHER eBay or PayPal will now be able to file WITH BOTH. So, if a buyer files a claim against you on eBay and does not like the outcome, they can now file a SECOND CLAIM with PayPal.

PayPal Sends Notice of Changes to eBay Sellers

Once PayPal is an independent company, buyers will have the opportunity to raise a claim with PayPal after they've opened a claim with eBay. They can do this before a decision has been made by eBay or if they aren't satisfied with a decision made on an eBay claim. This is similar to what happens with a chargeback today. If this occurs, we'll follow our normal claims process and will reach out to you for additional information regarding the claim. If a decision was not yet made by eBay, the claim will close out and continue on PayPal. A buyer won't be able to go to eBay to file a claim if they first came to PayPal.

Also, our purchase protection is now being extended to intangible items and services. You should be prepared to provide "compelling evidence" that you provided the intangible or virtual item or service, should a buyer dispute a transaction. Compelling evidence includes any evidence available to prove the buyer received the goods or services, or benefitted from the transaction. Examples include proof the buyer accessed your site or downloaded a file, and/or relevant portions of terms and conditions to which the buyer agreed. Although Purchase Protection will now extend coverage to buyers for intangible items, Seller Protection won't apply to intangible items. However, having proper proof of delivery can help a seller win a buyer's purchase protection claim.

At least buyers cannot get a double refund:

No Double Recovery. You may not file a Dispute/Claim, or receive a recovery, for a purchase under PayPal Purchase Protection if you have already received a recovery for that purchase directly from eBay, the seller, or another third party, or if you have already filed a case for that purchase with eBay, the seller, or another third party.

Last edited by jeffweico; 06-29-2015 at 10:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
sln531 (06-29-2015)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-29-2015

Longevity: 59%
Send a message via Skype™ to sln531
Default Re: Starting July 17th Buyers Can File Cliams with eBay AND PayPal!

Geez Not that I have allot of Open buyer disputes that open at all.. But this looks like a whole world of mess going to happen Let the games begin!
Old 06-29-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 10%
Longevity: 91%

In a sense it doesnt change the way things were until now because buyers could do that before by filing a chargeback through paypal if their ebay dispute failed.
But making it official and letting all the buyers know that they can do this without going the chargeback route is a worrisome development.
I think by now though we all know that with these 2 companies things always get worse with respect to the sellers and better with respect to buyers. That is something I will never understand since the sellers are their paying costumers (NOT the buyers) - and with ebay and paypal the costumer is definitely NOT always right...
Old 06-29-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 10%

I love this line:
"Although Purchase Protection will now extend coverage to buyers for intangible items, Seller Protection won't apply to intangible items."
Could it possibly get any more one sided in favor of buyers???
The Following User Says Thank You to slokor For This Useful Post:
Gman91189 (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015

Longevity: 53%

The buyer has 3 fhances to f*ck you over now. Ebay claim, paypal claim then a chargeback if they arent satisfied. You know why Paypal is doing this right? Because NOW ebay is the one providing the refunds in the case of buyer cases. And surely rhey will change some things around and not be so lenient to give the OK you win since it comes out of their pocket instead of straight from Paypal. Remember the wording that was used "we will now recommend...". They will recommend Paypal hold your funds for cases...doesnt mean that they HAVE to.
Old 06-29-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfebay View Post
Remember the wording that was used "we will now recommend...". They will recommend Paypal hold your funds for cases...doesnt mean that they HAVE to.
Actually, PayPal said they WILL hold funds when notified by eBay that a case has been opened.
Old 06-29-2015

That has always been the case and I expected it to continue...however, the jargon reads that they will "recommend" rather than "request" that Paypal holds your funds. Meaning its up to Paypals discretion. ALTHOUGH I am sure its so automated that ebay just sends over some information on the spot and it instantly gets held in Paypal. The process might change a little due to being separate companies, but the end result is the same.
Old 06-29-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I'm not too worried about this personally. I don't have all that many refunds or cases opened to begin with, and I give all of my buyers a 30 day no questions asked return window. I can only remember once or twice when I had cases opened that I fought and both of them were because they buyer claimed the purchases were unauthorized and they didn't receive the items, even though it was shipped to their CONFIRMED address.

But I think this REALLY opens the door for scammers. Some would-be scammers don't want to take the risk that eBay would refuse their refund. But now, they have THREE CHANCES to get their money back. Of course chargebacks are notoriously decided in the buyers favor most of the time - that has not changed - but you can only have so many chargebacks before the bank will cancel your card. This just adds a new way for them to get their money back.
Old 06-29-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

The one GOOD THING that can come out of all of this is that EVENTUALLY, we may have a lot more choices when it comes to payment processors on eBay. Competition DOES cure most business problems, because if one service has draconian policies against sellers, another will see an opportunity to be the "seller friendly" processor. Of course, scammers will never completely go away and there will always be times when we, as sellers, are disappointed with decisions made against us, but it MIGHT at least get better - not perfect, but better.
Old 06-29-2015

If the dispute process was nore fair and based on actual evidence, it wouldnt be a problem. For example, an item got damaged during shipping because the seller didnt pack it good enough. Buyer files case, MUST PROVIDE pictures of the shipping box and the item itself damaged. Then there wouldnt be a problem. As it sits now, buyer says item is broken....gets immediate refund, no questions asked. Provide a fair platform where disputes are weighed on EVIDENCE. Of course there isnt a whole lot you can do if the buyer says you sent them a box of bricks instead of a laptop or something like that. Unless we can document exactly how we packed and shipped an item (ie: video) that would stand as supporting evidence to Paypal or Ebay. Of course, this will never become a reality....wishful thinking never hurts.
Old 06-29-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Sometimes when you go deeper into detail with your customers, you open yourself up for legal liabilities that would not exist otherwise. For example, if PayPal accepted pictures of a damaged item as proof and made a decision based upon those pictures, they could later be sued if the seller could prove the pictures were photoshopped. Or, they could be sued by the buyer if there was a dispute as to whether or not the pictures showed enough damage for the claim to be realistic.

It is all unfair, of course, but that is just how the system works.
Old 06-29-2015

Activity: 37%
Longevity: 57%

I've come to realize that if you have a buyer who is going to scam you, he/shes going to do it regardless of this new policy.

They already have ALL the tools needed to do this. Although putting it on paper and calling it "official" isn't a good thing for us, it really doesn't change much for me.

I mean they have 180 days to file a case, how crazy is that? Nothing anymore surprises me. I do everything I can on my end to prevent these problems to ever arise. This obviously sucks for anyone who sells electronics and things like that because its like a 180 day return policy now officially guaranteed.

I firmly believe the people who's intent to scam already have all the tools to do this, so this really shouldn't impact us that much.

Not a good thing but ....life must go on.

If eBay has a future, paypal WON'T be the only processor like now. Theres to much competition, and things ALWAYS are changing. Who knows what will happen but I can't see how eBay can become independent and still force paypal down our throat. It will take time but sooner or later things will change.

Theres only so much they can do before they loose money. Paypal doesn't need the sellers like eBay does obviously. If eBay starts loosing sellers they will be FORCED to make changes, its just that simple. We are their source of income, they need us to thrive.

Last edited by solefoodbk; 06-29-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
I've come to realize that if you have a buyer who is going to scam you, he/shes going to do it regardless of this new policy.

They already have ALL the tools needed to do this. Although putting it on paper and calling it "official" isn't a good thing for us, it really doesn't change much for me.

I mean they have 180 days to file a case, how crazy is that? Nothing anymore surprises me. I do everything I can on my end to prevent these problems to ever arise. This obviously sucks for anyone who sells electronics and things like that because its like a 180 day return policy now officially guaranteed.

I firmly believe the people who's intent to scam already have all the tools to do this, so this really shouldn't impact us that much.

Not a good thing but ....life must go on.

If eBay has a future, paypal WON'T be the only processor like now. Theres to much competition, and things ALWAYS are changing. Who knows what will happen but I can't see how eBay can become independent and still force paypal down our throat. It will take time but sooner or later things will change.

Theres only so much they can do before they loose money. Paypal doesn't need the sellers like eBay does obviously. If eBay starts loosing sellers they will be FORCED to make changes, its just that simple. We are their source of income, they need us to thrive.
For everyone one of YOU, there are ten Chinese sellers ready to fall into your place. You are irrelevant and ebay does NOT need you to thrive. You see one seller from China selling 100 different categories worth of items...why would they need a small fry like yourself who doesn't even do 100 sales a month per account? It's ridiculous.
Old 06-29-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Yeah, the 180 days to get your money back IS problematic for some sellers. I could see some cheapskate who needs a computer, but only for 3 months, deciding that buying one on eBay and then demanding his money back after 90 days is cheaper than renting one.
Old 06-29-2015
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 71%

It's always been like this where buyers can file one on eBay and one on Paypal, even at the same time...
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
easy.bake.oven (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015

Longevity: 80%
Send a message via Skype™ to ebayerOG

technically yes, people could file chargebacks with their cc… I just hope scammers don't go all crazy over this… sigh.
Old 06-29-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
It's always been like this where buyers can file one on eBay and one on Paypal, even at the same time...
I never knew this. I have never had a customer file with both. 99.9% of the time, if they file a claim it is with eBay. Almost none of my customers file with PayPal. I think it happened maybe ONCE.
Old 06-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
I never knew this. I have never had a customer file with both. 99.9% of the time, if they file a claim it is with eBay. Almost none of my customers file with PayPal. I think it happened maybe ONCE.
You cant file with Paypal for an ebay case. If you go into the transaction on Paypal, youll get a message stating you need to use the ebay resolution center.
Old 06-30-2015

Longevity: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfebay View Post
You cant file with Paypal for an ebay case. If you go into the transaction on Paypal, youll get a message stating you need to use the ebay resolution center.
Not sure about that. I have a buyer who recently opened a case through paypal even though the item was sold through ebay. Maybe because it has been 31 days and the 14 days return window expired.
Old 06-30-2015
Executive [VIP]

I can see some sort of ****ery taking place, with some low life scammers trying to abuse the system, but personally I probably wont have any problems with this at the moment because like many here, I hardly ever get returns anyway- Maybe 1 or 2 out of 1500 transactions and then its actually my own fault with description or something down to my human error and in that case I always refund the buyer and let them keep the item anyway- Just because I don't like to waste peoples time.

Hopefully I'm not going to even notice this change, but at least I know its going to happen.

I think them two being two different companies is a good for future- Competition in payment systems will hopefully open up new possibilities in stealth operations.
Old 06-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennslmmer View Post
Not sure about that. I have a buyer who recently opened a case through paypal even though the item was sold through ebay. Maybe because it has been 31 days and the 14 days return window expired.
Every time I see the resolution center on Paypal, it says that you have to use the ebay resolution center to file a case.
Old 06-30-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I honestly have no idea how it works at present. Like I said, I have had only ONE claim filed on PayPal and I don't remember if it was for an off-eBay sale or not. Anyway, whatever they do, we just have to adapt.

I'm HOPING that this results in NEW payment options being offered by eBay. I am also HOPING that this does not mean eBay piling on the fees. Wall Street analysts have forecasted eBay's revenues as FLAT after the split and Wall Street HATES flat revenues! eBay will be under pressure to INCREASE revenues and I am hoping that their answer to that is not a bunch of fee increases. I remember when it cost $2 to list a 7 day auction REGARDLESS if the item sold or not. That was HORRIBLE for those of us that had a lot of products listed. You can go broke VERY QUICKLY paying non-refundable "insertion fees" just for the privilege of listing your items on eBay.