Paypal Chargebacks - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 07-06-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 50%
Default Paypal Chargebacks

Got a paypal chargeback that is huge - HUGE - and of course paypal is siding with the buyer because there is no signature - I of course as a business owner will have no recourse but to pay the chargeback - (and by the way I am never going to see the item back again), (paypal told me they were sorry about that!), so how do you go about paying back a large chargeback with them? Bytw longtime paypal user/business user - thousands of great transactions - and you get one of these and paypal hates you. They have my account restricted right now. When I asked how one could go about paying back the amount I was told to call a "separate number" that is only for this type of stuff. Of course, they were closed - they are always closed. Anybody have an address where I can send a letter and an initial check to them for the open balance. I do not want any problems with anybody and even though I am the one screwed, sometimes its just easier to move on. Never gonna catch the dude who scammed me anyway .. any input appreciated.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-06-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%
Default Re: Paypal Chargebacks

Well, obviously, never send anything worth a lot of money without signature confirmation AND insurance. Can you deposit the money by using a gift card? It would be anonymous. I don't think there is a PayPal address specifically to send checks to, or if there is, I have never heard of it. Usually they get the money by a bank account or a credit card. With a stealth account, you need to avoid them taking money out of your bank account. I am guessing when you mentioned a check, you meant a cashiers check or money order, something that you could leave your real name off of?
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
SNUFF1984 (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015
Threadstarter  

I was talking not about my new stealth. This was my original account. I feel bad that I was scammed. And in essence they were scammed. But I'm a lot smaller. The amount is huge as it was my dad's two marantz receivers I was gonna use for his hospice care. Nobody cares but me. So I don't want to give them anymore credit card info etc, I saw they had some address if you wanted to make a payment? I don't need paypal legally coming after me. Especially since now I really can't afford to fight them! As for debt collection agencies I could care less on that crap. I once had one literally come to my door of which he learned to fly. I just want to work w paypal so that I don't havve to be more aggravated than I am. And filing police reports are buLl****
Old 07-06-2015

Longevity: 59%

How much was the amount of your loss?
Old 07-06-2015
Threadstarter  

Total loss $20k - highest Marantz money can buy 5 mono block and a 10 :(
what I noticed was we had put up some of my dad's equipment too and everyone who bought were foreigners (all asian folks) living in California - peppered around each other - I couldn't figure out how the hell are they making any money if they are literally just putting a chargeback thru 2 weeks later. Paypal seems to think it is still an insurance scam - somehow - but still WOULDN'T HELP ME - nice guys huh?
Old 07-06-2015

Longevity: 53%

A $20k loss via chargebacks through Paypal......that's going to be a hard recovery. Even if you DO pay it all, your account is already damaged, regardless of what the reps coddle you with.
Old 07-07-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Welcome to the forums - step by step - first of all....what proof do you have that is was shipped? For 20k....
Old 07-07-2015
Banned

Longevity: 64%

20k???????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

never conduct high biz over pp EVER. not smart.
Old 07-07-2015

Activity: 39%
Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUFF1984 View Post
Total loss $20k
Old 07-07-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

In the future I'd recommend accepting no more than $500 via paypal and then the rest via Western Union / Moneygram / Bank Transfer
The Following User Says Thank You to 123 For This Useful Post:
solefoodbk (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015

Longevity: 51%

So, what is the problem? You sent some stuff without signature (required for higher value) and he said he never received?

are you even being honest? if someone got screwed $20k, they would be here telling the story not asking for a "mailing address".

and in my opinion a lot of times paypal never fight chargebacks (even when they are suppose to). My two chargebacks:
(1) $800 in 2009. they never fought it and just billed me for it. i called in and said i lost the chargeback because you never fought it when you were suppose to. lady said "your right, we'll put the money back into your account, it'll take 2-3 business days". problem fixed.
(2) had chargeback a few months ago for $1200 and as soon as i got another payment $1500 they sent me message "we won't fight chargeback because we don't think we can win" and took their $1200 from the $1500 payment. i called in and guy said "that's wrong, don't worry we will re-open chargeback". than a month later they told me i lost chargeback because card decided on buyer favor and chargeback for item not described isn't covered. So I contacted buyer threatening to take her to court and she sent me letter her credit card sent her and it said the paypal AGREED to the chargeback and weren't interested in fighting it. I am sending paypal a copy of this. VERY SHADY BUSINESS PAYPAL DOES.

Honesty I dont think you are being honest. Machine equipment has serial numbers, if it's $20k, you can hire private detective for $500 that will find out if they received and are using it. Honestly, you should go after buyer
Old 07-07-2015
Threadstarter  

Here is bottom line
No signature confirm no money back
Nobody cares about serial numbers at
Paypal. How are you getting in to look at
The machine with a private eye? Sorry i
Thought it worked that way too but guess
What it doesn't. Ebay nor paypal will
Protect you. Last paypal said it seems to be
A series of foreign buyers in one section of
California with a new insurance scam. So
When we hire that private detective wheres
The person who is supposed to live there?
Guess what. He isn't there just wanted some
Feedback. Seriously you guys have been super help
Ful
Old 07-07-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

All I can say is that if I were selling an item where $20k was involved, it would have been sent insured, with signature verification. In fact, I don't think i would accept a payment of $20,000 through PayPal. Knowing what I know about them that would just be TOO RISKY!

I understand about the police though. Most of the time, they view this as a civil matter - a dispute between two parties - and not a criminal matter. Sometimes you DO get lucky though, and find a police department that will call the buyer or send them a letter. But most won't even do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
SNUFF1984 (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015

Longevity: 53%

Close your associated bank account, forget that paypal and ebay account ever existed, go stealth. Otherwise not sure what to say. 20k is a lot to lose like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to wtfebay For This Useful Post:
SNUFF1984 (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015
Threadstarter  

Indeed it is - I filed reports on this with police. Paypal won't do anything - I don't understand that part - in fact I have been trying to track them down on Facebook and they blocked me from posting. Nice right? If they have nothing to hide why block me?
Old 07-08-2015
Threadstarter  

I thought the police would be interested. Apparently not and neither is paypal because they just push a button most of the time. Nobody seems to care. I just wanted some input from you guys and you all were great for real - I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
All I can say is that if I were selling an item where $20k was involved, it would have been sent insured, with signature verification. In fact, I don't think i would accept a payment of $20,000 through PayPal. Knowing what I know about them that would just be TOO RISKY!

I understand about the police though. Most of the time, they view this as a civil matter - a dispute between two parties - and not a criminal matter. Sometimes you DO get lucky though, and find a police department that will call the buyer or send them a letter. But most won't even do that.
Old 07-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUFF1984 View Post
I thought the police would be interested. Apparently not and neither is paypal because they just push a button most of the time. Nobody seems to care. I just wanted some input from you guys and you all were great for real - I appreciate it.
You shot yourself in the foot.

Might has well have let the Mafia "borrow" your Ferrari. You acted like a fool, and were played like one.

Don't leave a wallet full of Benjamins lying around in a park full of hobos.

Understand?

Your only option is to hire an attorney and seek a civil suit....and this PROBABLY WON'T even work! Talk to a lawyer though....that's your best option.
Old 07-08-2015
Threadstarter  

Ghost - when you are right you are right - there is no doubt. Sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees and this is exactly what happened with me. I am really glad I posted however here. It doesn't matter if anything feels negative spoken back because its all positive constructive stuff to be used in the future. I like the idea of using the Western Union, etc. I did not ever think of that and shame on me for not thinking of that - pretty goddamn dumb. To the person who was trying to malign what I am saying here, walk a mile in my shoes, then tell me how you feel. Why are you on these boards? Think about it - we are on here because eBay, Paypal, Amazon etc has decided we are used goods. Somewhere along the line they think all of us are bad people, we did something bad, and there is nothing we can say nor do to change their minds, which is odd because in a court of law well you can get at least some form of opinion. With this they just shoot you. However I also do take your advice person with the negative comments simply because anything said is a learning experience. I have learned a lot in a short period of time, and thats saying a lot since I've sold online before. When it doesn't happen to you YOU SIMPLY DON'T THINK IT WILL and you don't plan because well in my case you are plain dumb. That's me. I should have always had a backup plan, but like so many people I always believed in the online commerce. Sadly I was wrong. You guys are amazing. Thank you because honestly everything said was constructive and well worth reading.
Old 07-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

eBay/PayPal REQUIRE SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION on ANY package valued at or above $750 USD.

My personal rule is that if the item is worth $100 or more, it gets signature confirmation. Why? Because 2 dollars is what it costs to add it, and that's only 2% of the total. Well worth it to avoid issues with dishonest people (and there are a lot more of them out there than you would think).

Lesson learned. Best of luck in the future.