My paypal account is negative $3000. Will anything happen? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%
Default My paypal account is negative $3000. Will anything happen?

Buyer did a chargeback and now account is -$3000. I told paypal to go F themselves as I wasn't paying for the buyer scamming me. Already removed bank account and credit card.

Paypal does however have my name and address, but I provided no ssn, id, utility bill or any other kind of documents.

What will happen? Will they take me to court even if they have no documents on me?

Last edited by bluejet; 07-12-2015 at 02:00 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: My paypal account is negative $3000. Will anything happen?

They will do what ever they can do to get their funds back

This is a lot of money. They will not just write it off.
Old 07-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Removing bank account and cc doesnt make them disappear in PP's system. Expect PP to hound you for this
Old 07-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 8%
Longevity: 91%

Agree with the others.
If they have your real name and address its all they need to pass this to a collection agency who in turn can and will takes further measures such as 'ding' your credit rating for non payment of a debt.
This is a substantial amount. Don't expect this to go away.
Old 07-12-2015

Longevity: 53%

Collector agencies will come and collect the money. And it will be like 6000 when they come.
Old 07-12-2015

Longevity: 52%

silly question, how did you manage to receive 3K and withdraw them, without limitation?
Old 07-12-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by feadup View Post
silly question, how did you manage to receive 3K and withdraw them, without limitation?
Because I had good feedback and my paypal account was very old.
Old 07-12-2015
Threadstarter  

I actually don't care about my credit rating, because it's already bad.

But will they take me to court?
Old 07-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejet View Post

There's a possibility. If paypal has your real info, it's better not to play with fire.
Old 07-12-2015

Quote:

I am not American, but I have 1 question only, do you have a tracking number for that Item show the buyer address, if YES and it show delivered,. then can do anything between NELL AND ZERO ... no one can touch you
Old 07-12-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I am not American, but I have 1 question only, do you have a tracking number for that Item show the buyer address, if YES and it show delivered,. then can do anything between NELL AND ZERO ... no one can touch you
Yes. I have a tracking number that says delivered and signed for. That is why I told paypal to go F themselves.

Why should I have to pay back $3000 because paypal is incompetent?
Old 07-12-2015

Quote:
Yes. I have a tracking number that says delivered and signed for. That is why I told paypal to go F themselves.

Why should I have to pay back $3000 because paypal is incompetent?
Keep this tracking number and the receipt in safe place, this is what do you need IF they will do anything, which I do not think so, since they know that the item is delivered
Plus it will cost them more money than 3K to take you to court, and they know they will loose the case
Old 07-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

When you get a chargeback, paypal dont just agree and give the buyer the money.

You get a chance to respond with delivery details?

Did you ignore this??
Old 07-12-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunneh View Post
When you get a chargeback, paypal dont just agree and give the buyer the money.

You get a chance to respond with delivery details?

Did you ignore this??
He charged back with his credit card months after he got the item. He didn't open a dispute with paypal.

it doesn't matter. I just got word from another forum that says it doesn't matter if they have your real name and address. As long as they don't have my social security number (which they don't) paypal cant do anything but send letters.

They also said $3000 is too small. They will only do something if the balance is like $10,000

Last edited by bluejet; 07-12-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

Quote:
He charged back with his credit card months after he got the item. He didn't open a dispute with paypal.

it doesn't matter. I just got word from another forum that says it doesn't matter if they have your real name and address. As long as they don't have my social security number (which they don't) paypal cant do anything but send letters.
i know he didnt open a dispute with paypal, but paypal ask you for proof of delivery on your account regardless.
Old 07-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:

They also said $3000 is too small. They will only do something if the balance is like $10,000
I hate to be the one to tell you, but you are totally MISINFORMED. I have over 20 years of experience in the credit and collection industry.

First, they can EASILY get your Social Security Number. One of the big myths out there is that a company cannot run a credit report or sue you without a social security number. But this is not true. You do NOT need an SSN to run a credit report. If the credit bureaus find you by matching on the name and address provided by PayPal or their collection agency, that is enough for them to receive the report. And guess what is ON your credit report? YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!

Will PayPal SUE? I don't know. Usually, collection agencies decide whether or not to recommend that suit be filed on the account. And $3,000 is NOT too small a balance to go after. Whether they will sue or not depends on if they believe they can collect the judgment. Typically, collection agencies want to know where you are working OR want to see that you have a house or other real property that can be liened OR that you have great credit.

Things that will STOP them from suing include the fact that they see judgments in your name for tax debt, child support or lots of other consumer debt. Or, they see that your source of income cannot be garnished, such as social security, welfare or unemployment benefits.

$3,000 is a good chunk of money, they will not just write it off, unless they believe there is no way that they can collect from you. Collection agencies can't do anything to you except to report the debt to the credit bureaus. But they CAN refer your account to an attorney for legal action.

When you signed up for PayPal, you agreed to their terms and conditions. So, the argument that "PayPal is incompetent" is not going to be a winner in court. If you don't show up, they will get a default judgment. If you show up, you will have to provide a valid defense as to why you should not have to pay the money. If you cannot do that, then they will get a judgment.

Once they have a judgment, it will stay on your credit report for at least 7 years and in some states, 10 years. They will add court costs and reasonable attorney's fees to the $3,000 that you owe. What is considered "reasonable" depends on where the case is heard (they generally have to sue you in the county in which you live) and attorneys in NY, LA or Chicago charge more than attorneys in rural areas. But my guess is between $350 - $500 for the attorney fees and $300 or so for the court costs.

I don't know who gave you advice on the other forum, but they should not be giving advice because they have no idea what they are talking about. It is true that nobody is likely to sue you for $300 or $500, but when you start going over $1,000 they consider it worth their effort to go after you.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
Arminass (11-02-2015), BiN4RY (07-12-2015), ilcarletto (07-12-2015), jakobrockz (07-12-2015), secret storm (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015

Let me put a nasty observation of my friend, who is a huge and old ebay trader. When someone scams him on EB, he does not fill any claims, whine or something like that, as we all know, it is useless to claim something on EB as a seller. He just uses his numerous stealths to scam someone else to cover the losses. It sounds rough, but this is how EB works nowadays.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muzzie For This Useful Post:
Arminass (11-02-2015), Jonnydoe (07-15-2015)
Old 07-12-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
I hate to be the one to tell you, but you are totally MISINFORMED. I have over 20 years of experience in the credit and collection industry.

First, they can EASILY get your Social Security Number. One of the big myths out there is that a company cannot run a credit report or sue you without a social security number. But this is not true. You do NOT need an SSN to run a credit report. If the credit bureaus find you by matching on the name and address provided by PayPal or their collection agency, that is enough for them to receive the report. And guess what is ON your credit report? YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!

Will PayPal SUE? I don't know. Usually, collection agencies decide whether or not to recommend that suit be filed on the account. And $3,000 is NOT too small a balance to go after. Whether they will sue or not depends on if they believe they can collect the judgment. Typically, collection agencies want to know where you are working OR want to see that you have a house or other real property that can be liened OR that you have great credit.

Things that will STOP them from suing include the fact that they see judgments in your name for tax debt, child support or lots of other consumer debt. Or, they see that your source of income cannot be garnished, such as social security, welfare or unemployment benefits.

$3,000 is a good chunk of money, they will not just write it off, unless they believe there is no way that they can collect from you. Collection agencies can't do anything to you except to report the debt to the credit bureaus. But they CAN refer your account to an attorney for legal action.

When you signed up for PayPal, you agreed to their terms and conditions. So, the argument that "PayPal is incompetent" is not going to be a winner in court. If you don't show up, they will get a default judgment. If you show up, you will have to provide a valid defense as to why you should not have to pay the money. If you cannot do that, then they will get a judgment.

Once they have a judgment, it will stay on your credit report for at least 7 years and in some states, 10 years. They will add court costs and reasonable attorney's fees to the $3,000 that you owe. What is considered "reasonable" depends on where the case is heard (they generally have to sue you in the county in which you live) and attorneys in NY, LA or Chicago charge more than attorneys in rural areas. But my guess is between $350 - $500 for the attorney fees and $300 or so for the court costs.

I don't know who gave you advice on the other forum, but they should not be giving advice because they have no idea what they are talking about. It is true that nobody is likely to sue you for $300 or $500, but when you start going over $1,000 they consider it worth their effort to go after you.
Thanks for this! I guess they wont be suing seeing as I don't own any property, don't own a car and have been unemployed for years. I'm in my 20's.
Cheers!

Last edited by bluejet; 07-12-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post

Question, even if it is for 1M they will sue him because he sold something and he delivered it????
First the charge back has some basics, if you will go to your bank and try to dispute a transaction, the bank will contact paypal and ask for prove of delivery if paypal will fail to supply that then the buyer will win the dispute, did paypal ask the seller for tracking number? did the seller added it on his paypal account??!!!
it is not like I paid someone with my CC and i want my money back , then the bank say OHHH yes sir please have it back!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2015

Well, the guy could get a CC, then use it to buy things from the OP, then claim to his bank that his card was stolen and used by criminals. And it will work.
Old 07-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzie View Post
Well, the guy could get a CC, then use it to buy things from the OP, then claim to his bank that his card was stolen and used by criminals. And it will work.
Still the same question , what the OP did wrong?!!!!
Old 07-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Question, even if it is for 1M they will sue him because he sold something and he delivered it????
First the charge back has some basics, if you will go to your bank and try to dispute a transaction, the bank will contact paypal and ask for prove of delivery if paypal will fail to supply that then the buyer will win the dispute, did paypal ask the seller for tracking number? did the seller added it on his paypal account??!!!
it is not like I paid someone with my CC and i want my money back , then the bank say OHHH yes sir please have it back!!!!!!
You misunderstand how the courts work. It is not that the OP did ANYTHING wrong. There is a user agreement in place between PayPal and it's users. Part of that agreement states that the user agrees to reimburse PayPal for any chargebacks. There was a chargeback. The OP, as the courts will see it, owes PayPal the $3,000.

The OP's options to get his money back would be to sue the bank or the original buyer to recover his $3,000. The courts are not going to get into whether or not the item was shipped, the item quality, or whether or not the credit card was stolen. The issue for the court is, PayPal paid a chargeback, resulting in a negative balance in the PayPal account. According to the contract he has with PayPal, is the money owed to PayPal or not. EVERYTHING ELSE does not matter.

Courts make decisions based on the law and what is written in a contract or user agreement. They do not take into account external factors. Courts do not make rulings based on FAIRNESS.

Is what happened to the OP fair? Of course it isn't! There is nothing fair about it. But fairness and the law are two different things.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
ilcarletto (07-13-2015), RoxJox (07-12-2015), Stealth4 (03-25-2016)
Closed Thread