WOW 180 days for buyer to file dispute? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 07-16-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 58%
Default WOW 180 days for buyer to file dispute?

This is unbelievable!

I haven't sold in a while but just noticed a buyer has up to 180 days to file a dispute...WOW

Imagine selling something like a laptop, then 179 days later, the buyer dropped it, and broke it. The buyer can easily file a complaint and get his money back, basically saying they had a free laptop for 179 days and got their money back. Paypal actually allows buyers to screw sellers over and not give a damn. That holds every seller responsible for what they sell even when it's been i the buyers hands for 5 months. Perhaps they resold it, their kids broke it, lost it etc...and it's the sellers fault LOL

On my website i get asked a lot "do you accept paypal?" I don't and it states it on every page on my website but people still ask. I've probably lost a lot of business because of it, but why should i allow a buyer to rip me off whenever they want too? I sell electronics new, used, and refurbished.

It blows my mind how paypal will let you screw over a seller. No wonder buyers have so much faith in paypal. so called "trust"..what a joke
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-16-2015

Longevity: 60%
Default Re: WOW 180 days for buyer to file dispute?

Keep in mind the longer it takes the faster paypal will slap the @%#* out of the buyer, trust me if something like that happens and you have your head together there is no way to get a charge back. 60 days........
Old 07-16-2015
Threadstarter  

I agree with you, but i'm wondering if it's pp's method to acquire new customers to use their system to buy "trust us, you have 180 days to file a dispute"?

Can anyone here justify that someone has filed a dispute against them past 60 days and got their money back?
Old 07-16-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I think that PayPal does this to try to keep the number of chargebacks low. They hope the buyers will file a case with them directly, instead of it developing into a chargeback.

Visa/Mastercard association rules state that any merchant account (and PayPal DOES have one) cannot exceed a 1% chargeback rate. Would the cancel PayPal and put them out of business? Probably not. But PayPal is probably just being extra careful.

I think it DOES have a terrible effect on sellers, though.
Old 07-16-2015

Longevity: 54%

I have been having late disputes 45 days + lately, but i havent lost a single one.
I dont know about others, but i never lost a late dispute because even though paypal protects buyers more than sellers, if you are smart and can provide proof of whatever they ask you will most likely win every dispute.
Old 07-16-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts

All they are doing is bring there policies in line with Visa, MasterCard and all other credit card processors. Most of us have not and will not see a measurable difference.
Old 07-16-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
All they are doing is bring there policies in line with Visa, MasterCard and all other credit card processors. Most of us have not and will not see a measurable difference.
Exactly. I agree. The fact is, they have ALWAYS had 180 days to file a chargeback anyways. In some cases, I have seen chargebacks filed even AFTER 180 days - although that IS rare.
Old 07-16-2015
Threadstarter  

I'm surprised this 180 day policy, doesn't discourage sellers from selling. It's almost like the safest thing to sell on eb is your old clothes, because they won't break. If it's something that can break, that's dangerous. A lot of people out their don't know how to take care of their property. they just man handle it.

plusnet- you've been having late disputes 45 days +. That's scary. It's almost like selling something and keeping your fingers crossed.

It's the whole process of PP freezing your funds and your account. Now you have to wait 7+ days for pp to decide the case..it just sucks. What if you don't have anything in paypal, nor your bank account and someone files a dispute for $100? if you don't have in pp, then your ba gets hit. If you don't have it there, now you get hit with the overdraft charge $30+, and you have to pay that.
Old 07-16-2015
Executive [VIP]

It has ALWAYS been 180 days for a credit card chargeback. Nothing is different really. It has been a few months now and we don't hear or see any noticeable claims. Whats to fret about? It is a non issue to date.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
solefoodbk (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
It has ALWAYS been 180 days for a credit card chargeback. Nothing is different really. It has been a few months now and we don't hear or see any noticeable claims. Whats to fret about? It is a non issue to date.
Mostly the worry is that they ADVERTISE it like it's a feature.

You don't hear Chase advertising their Freedom card with "File a chargeback, even if you've had the item 6 months!"

The kind of people who are intrigued by this "feature" are the kind you DON'T want buying from you.
Old 07-19-2015

Activity: 39%
Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAmazon View Post
Mostly the worry is that they ADVERTISE it like it's a feature.

You don't hear Chase advertising their Freedom card with "File a chargeback, even if you've had the item 6 months!"

The kind of people who are intrigued by this "feature" are the kind you DON'T want buying from you.
Yes and no.

You only have to worry if its happened to you on a consistent bases. If it hasn't ...there's really no sense in worrying about it.

I truly think if someone is going to scam you, they will regardless of this policy. If buyers truly want to scam us they will, end of story. The 180 day policy sucks but most people aren't going to wait 180 days to scam someone, they'll do it alot sooner. Opening a empty box case with paypal is a prime example on how easy it can be to get your money back as a buyer.

I agree with what your saying BUT I just don't think it really should affect us all that much. A lot comes down to how you provide the service to begin with. I always treat my product and how its delivered as if I was professional company already established and is well known. That alone is why I think I have almost 0 complaints and issues even though I sell in a market where there are usually alot.
Old 07-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
I truly think if someone is going to scam you, they will regardless of this policy. If buyers truly want to scam us they will, end of story. The 180 day policy sucks but most people aren't going to wait 180 days to scam someone, they'll do it alot sooner. Opening a empty box case with paypal is a prime example on how easy it can be to get your money back as a buyer.
I see where you are coming from, and I certainly agree with you for the most part.

However, my father once told me there were two types of thieves. Those who would plan, scheme, watch, and break in your home and rob you blind while you were on vacation, and there were the kids who would peek inside your house because they saw the door ajar, and take your wallet and watch.

The point I'm making is that not all thieves, scammers, whatever you want to call them, are the type that are out to do it from the start. Some people are just opportunistic. Not that it makes a difference MORALLY, but it does sometimes make a difference in the outcome of a situation.

I'm not stating that it will make a huge difference in PayPal claims, or that the worry and panic is justified, I'm just offering my perspective as to why the members who expressed concern are justified in doing so.
Old 07-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

The people such as the one who started this thread are the loosers in this case. They are paranoid that someone may file a claim so they don't sell or make money at all.

It is the same game as it was two years ago or ten years ago. The rules are always changing. We either accept them and adjust if needed or we give up.

If you give up selling because if this very mild change then selling using paypal was not for you to begin with
Old 07-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
The people such as the one who started this thread are the loosers in this case. They are paranoid that someone may file a claim so they don't sell or make money at all.

It is the same game as it was two years ago or ten years ago. The rules are always changing. We either accept them and adjust if needed or we give up.

If you give up selling because if this very mild change then selling using paypal was not for you to begin with
I see where you are coming from, but I disagree that the OP is a "looser" because he chooses not to accept PayPal on his PERSONAL website. Amazon doesn't accept PayPal, and last I checked, they are pretty darn successful.
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostOfAmazon For This Useful Post:
yankee (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

HAHA

That was not what I was meaning but I can see how that could have been taken that way.
I was not calling anyone a "Looser" I am saying eliminating options because of this you can loose out. Poor choice of words on my part. My deepest apology to the OP.

On a separate note: What does not using paypal have to do with being successful?
Old 07-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

On a separate note: What does not using paypal have to do with being successful?
As said, your original post implied that people who chose not to accept PayPal due to their policies are "loosers". I was merely pointing out that there are quite a few VERY successful companies who don't accept PayPal (quite possibly because of their policies).
Old 07-19-2015

Longevity: 62%

Losers? Loosers? A lot? Alot? iPhone spell check loser.
Old 07-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Losers? Loosers? A lot? Alot? iPhone spell check loser.
No need for that....yankee has been a longtime and helpful member of this forum. I meant him no disrespect.
Old 07-19-2015

I meant no disrespect either. I was just putting it out there. As I happen to be a longtime user as well.
Old 07-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I meant no disrespect either. I was just putting it out there. As I happen to be a longtime user as well.
Very true! I was simply pointing out I'm not a fan of bashing other members for their views, regardless of my opinion on them. Some of our friends here don't feel that way.
Old 07-19-2015

Yes I agree no bashing or insults. We are all here to help each other. A simple reference to a correct spelling goes a long ways.

On a side note look if someone didn't know and was on wheel of fortune.

Old 07-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Yes I agree no bashing or insults. We are all here to help each other. A simple reference to a correct spelling goes a long ways.

On a side note look if someone didn't know and was on wheel of fortune.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jK9vUVpz_20
This is by FAR the worst "Wheel of Fortune" mistake ever: