"Cooling Period" before starting to sell/buy on eBay? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 08-08-2007
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%
Default "Cooling Period" before starting to sell/buy on eBay?

I registered a new eBay account where I plan on selling about 1-3 items per week valued at around $100-$600. What is a good period to let the account "cool off" so to speak before starting to buy with it? And especially, sell with it? I read that "new" accounts in their 30 days period are more at risk of suspension.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-08-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

After 30 days is a good time to get started with more expensive items. Though I've seen people list from the get go, and they're okay to this day. I guess it really depends what you're selling.
Old 08-11-2007
MU

Longevity: 97%
Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

Even with more expensive items, you should still be able to list at least just ONE right from the start. Just make sure it's your only auction for that week. This is what I did, although I went ahead and made one quick purchase first for the 1 fb.. but this probably wasn't necessary just to sell the one expensive item anyway.

EDIT: I forgot to put this down before, but it's safest to make that first auction a 7-day duration. Anything shorter than a 5-day and eBay might get suspicious.
Old 08-12-2007

Excuse me if this is stupid, but what is the risk of opening a new account, buying a few BIN items right away which are great things to get on ebay and inexpensive...
Why would signing up and then buying something right away and several more in the next 7-10 days put you at risk?
And then after you have 5-10 FBs upgrade your account to sell? This seems like a perfectly natural course of events. Why would this (and would it indeed) put your new account at risk?
Old 08-12-2007

Arrow

It seems that paranoia got out of hand. Even if me saying that is a bit hypocritical. One thing is being careful and NOT SLIPPING EVEN ONCE and another being paranoid, the latter is the bad option.

People that say that you can't buy or sell within the first few days don't know what they are saying. I've witnessed accounts that bought items within the FIRST HOUR after being opened and are still going today. I HOPE THAT ANSWERS THE QUESTION.

While I can't say the same for selling (only because I'm not 1000% sure about it), but did we forget how eBay makes its money? They want people to sell their stuff.

Even though the following has been written a hundred times, here's what I've absorbed so far from contributions in this forum:

1) Watch out for cookies, temp files and beacons. Don't open anymore emails related to your suspended account. Unles you do it in a text-only client. FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T OPEN ANY LINKS. Erase all your cookies, temp files and history on your browser before logging into your account. Don't use your email for eBay communications, use ebay's messaging to do it.

2) Get a new credit card. The more legit the better...there is a difference in my experience between getting a Walgreens VISA registered to HAPPY SHOPPING and a Simon card from redflagged METABANK and one from a real bank, like a reloadable gift card registered to YOUR NAME and with an address of your choosing. Guys, cheking accounts nowadays are FREE, get 50...OK NOT 50, but get 3. They can send the cards to your real address, then just call the bank to change your mailing address, wait a week or so and you can use the card to confirm your address. Then call again to stop paper statements to avoid suspicion.

3) IP and MAC Address are not as important as one may think. But if you're paranoid like me:

If you have cable (Comcast, Cox, TimeWarner, Adelphia): You're in trouble. It's nearly impossible to reset a IP address for these devices because these IPs are assigned based on the MAC address of your modem (which is burnt into the device and it's not 'spoofable' unlike your network card) and even if your ISP reps are kind enough to do a network release, it'll get back on with the same IP. Go to your friends house. Or better yet steal your neighbor's WiFi and save gas.

If you have DSL, you caught a break. Just reset your modem.

And the best option: Get a Dial-up service, and milk it for all it's worth.

Obvious ones:

Get a new email, one NOT based on a domain you own please!
Registered address, one within your area, never one that can be traced to you. Different phone number, Vonage or Skype or convenience store cheap-o-phones will do.

Things I'm unsure about, but should be kept in mind just to be more effective at isolating the problem if you get suspended again.

Modify your listing style as much as it is practical.
First items you sell must be different than what you were selling when you got suspended (i.e. garage junk).

I probably forgot something, but last thing to remember: Be greedy, but not TOO greedy. The day I decided to start selling to Canada to 'expand' my reach my entire operation got floored. Why? As expected its way easier for people that want to hurt you to do it through the Canadian website, for some reason unkown to me. And someone who wanted to hurt my business cleverly sniped me. The rule may apply differently in other cases, but the principle is the same.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, NOTHING LAST FOREVER, AND AS EVIDENCED IN THIS AND OTHER FORUMS YOU CAN BE A 6 YEAR 99.9% +FB PS AND EBAY WILL SHUT YOU DOWN. SO PLAN AHEAD AND THINK SHORT TO MEDIUM TERM. I'D RATHER HAVE 3 ACCOUNTS WITH 300 FB EACH THAN ONE WITH 1000.

IT I'LL COST YOU SOME TIME AND MONEY TO SET THIS UP, BUT IT IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE SALES YOU'LL LOOSE IF YOU GET SUSPENDED AGAIN, AND YOU PROLLY WILL.
Old 08-13-2007

Thanks for recapping the info into one well-organized, easy-to-read post.

Do you mean that because I have had to reset my DSL modem about 15 times since hooking up my new computer a week or so ago that my IP address has been reset? Is there a way of checking it out? I think in my email I have a password reset request that states that the request originated from IP address XX.X.XXX, which would be my old address that I last logged into the "banned" account with. Now all I have to do is find a site that gives me my current IP address and I've cleared one hurdle.
Old 08-16-2007

Default Try This

RESETTING IT SHOULD DO IT IN MY EXPERIENCE WITH DSL.

IF IT DOESNT WORK, I ALSO FOUND OUT THAT DPENDING ON THE MODEL OF YOUR MODEM, YOU CAN SPECIFY THE MAC ADDRESS OF THE DEVICE IN THE SETTINGS PAGE (TO GET THERE USUALLY YOU JUST TYPE 192.168.1.1 OR 192.168.2.1 OR 192.168.0.1 ON THE BROWSER ADDRESS BAR) AND LOGIN LEAVING THE USER FIELD BLANK AND TYPE 'admin' ON THE PASSWORD FIELD.

LOOK FOR THAT SETTING AND CHANGE YOUR MAC ADDRESS TO ANYTHING YOU LIKE, SAVE THE SETTINGS, UNPLUG YOUR MODEM AND RE-CONNECT.
Old 08-17-2007

likethemapples, if you would please read my post from a couple of weeks ago. I didn't get any response because I just assumed people didn't know what I was taking about. The thread is about changing your IP based on MAC ID of the network card. Sounds crazy but it works at my house. I have cable through TW.

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-su...-gateways.html

If you wouldn't mind, please check on your end to see if your IP is really based on the MAC of the modem. If it's like mine your IP will change between the router and the ethernet port. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2007

Send a message via MSN to robo1977

do ebay put a selling limit on as soon as you start selling i listed four items then they stoped me listing anymore.does any one know how long this lasts they have asked for no information just that i have a selling limit on can you guys and gals shed any light on this.
Old 08-18-2007

Default Get another account just for Buying

What does "cool off" period mean? Must be some new eBay restrictive nonsense.

Get two accounts! Makes life much easier.

Have had two eBay accounts for several years now. One is for buying and the other for selling. As a buyer, I've gotten into assorted beefs with problem sellers. In recent times, hordes of arrogant sociopath idiots have taken to selling on eBay. These hustlers no doubt consider eBay as some sort of "Get Rich Quick" scheme". I've dimed-out to eBay plenty of sellers who've listed excessive shipping costs and other obvious violations.

The ratio of troublesome buyers versus sellers seems to have changed in recent years. Most buyers now are quite savvy and know how to handle an online deal. As a seller, I treat people with fairness and consideration. Have lots of repeat buyers and made numerous friends via eBay over the years.

Anyway, the buyer account provides the freedom to hit the rotten sellers with NEGATIVE feedback when the situation calls for it. Having a separate account for auction sales protects your Seller Feedback rating which is far more important than for a buyer. Sellers don't care or have much control over a buyer's feedback rating. So long as the buyer pays, his or her past negative feedback doesn't mean much.

By the way, my buyer account that's been active for seven-years now remains at 100% positive feedback.