Article - Ebay Attempts to Terminate Dropshipping - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 10-09-2008
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 91%
Default Article - Ebay Attempts to Terminate Dropshipping

EBay Warning: Dropshipping? PayPal Is Holding Your Money!By admin • Jul 24th, 2008 • Category: Top Stories....

EBay has been the ideal home based business for years. Most of us started with the ‘clean out the garage’ model, and over time graduated to dropshipping, and in many cases, it has turned into a pretty significant fulltime income.

Over the last several weeks, several VERY disturbing changes have taken place at EBay as EBay seems intent on wiping out the very business base that built the behemoth, to focus on the corporate clientele that have taken a much larger position on EBay over the past couple of years, using EBay to sell off their excess inventory directly, rather than selling to the large discount chains as was the previous habit.

Here’s an overview of some of the most significant - and damaging - changes that affect you and I, the folks that have built home businesses around EBay….

1) The EBay Feedback system now only allows Sellers to leave POSITIVE for Buyers. On the other hand, Buyers can leave any kind of feedback they want for Sellers. This means that if you have a problem with a Buyer (gee - that never happens, right?) you are pretty much out of luck! So, if the Buyer feels that he should have received his widget in 3 working days - even though you clearly state that it takes no less than 10 working days for the widget to ship - he can give you a negative! And you are pretty much powerless since there is no arbitration system in place.

2) Neutral Feedback? HAH!! Guess what? They no longer exist! All of your neutral comments have now been converted to NEGATIVE feedback ratings. Top PowerSellers have lost their PowerSeller status and the perks that went along with it - including the extra discounts that were often factored into their pricing. Although the PowerSellers were given a period of time to ‘correct’ the situation - the bottom line is that Buyers are not terribly responsive to such requests - and this means that a huge percentage of PowerSellers…aren’t. An interesting side note here is that one PowerSeller that was hit by these changes…..is also one of the speakers at this week’s EBay Live Conference in Chicago……should be a very interesting speech…….

3) The Final Straw…….dropshipping is huge on EBay. My hubby has been very successful dropshipping on EBay - both through EBay partners such as Doba and others, as well as resources of his own, through his 25 years in the wholesale gift industry. Today he received an email from PayPal stating that any orders that were ‘known to be dropshipping” would result in a 21 day hold on the funds from the customer! The only way around this is to send PayPal the tracking notice when the product ships and supposedly they will ‘release’ your funds.

Personally - I have dealt with PayPal in the past over disputes - and the response times are horrible. Basically, this means that if you have been earning a living dropshipping - you will now have to be financially solvent enough to cover all of your sales out of your own pocket, rather than paying for the product with the funds from PayPal. This pretty much will kill the entire dropshipping business model for most people on EBay.

4) No digital products - Ebooks were a HUGE seller on EBay and it was a great business model! Automated download, a real ’set it and forget it’ business model if handled correctly. But apparently it was not handled correctly by many and now ebooks and other digital items must be sold in DVD format and physically shipped.exactly why it was such a great business - you didn’t have to ship anything!

At one point, we had 4 stores on EBay and thousands of products, but we have been ‘branching out’ and are looking at other products, such as the EBay Affiliate program, niche store scripts etc.

After this latest round of changes, and the notice today from PayPal, we will be pulling 99% of our products off EBay.

As a home business - it no longer works for us.

Over the next few days we will be posting reviews of the various store models as we take them for a test drive - we will bring the pros and cons of every system!!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-09-2008

Activity: 0%

Not exactly a recent article, is it? And it's not really news, at this point in time. All of this has been discussed here before.
This same exact post has been circulating around the Blog-o-sphere since June.
Old 10-09-2008

Longevity: 96%

I still drop ship but i also have a limited supply of stock available. So when i receive payment with 21 day hold i ship from local inventory to speed up the process. But its not like they put 21 days holds on everything. I have had like 3 holds since they started this policy. There are work arounds with paypal and to simply close up shop when you have stuff worth selling doesnt make sense to me.
Old 10-09-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

How will eBay ban drop ****ting? For millions of years, **** has been dropping. eBay can't stop it ...
Old 01-09-2009
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

anybody dropship using western union? I think I am going to start doing all my drop shipping using western union, that way ebay and paypal dont know. I found a few reliable suppliers that want my business and W.Union has been going pretty good.
Old 01-10-2009

Longevity: 90%

does't western union charge a lot?
Old 01-10-2009
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

its like $14 for a western union. Might seem like a lot but with the profit margin on my items, its really not too bad.
Old 01-11-2009

Longevity: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking View Post
its like $14 for a western union. Might seem like a lot but with the profit margin on my items, its really not too bad.
what you sell?
Old 01-11-2009
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody999 View Post
what you sell?
i sell and have sold a lot of things. right now i am just selling my old college textbooks to build feedback.
Old 01-12-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

i have done western union before but its cheaper to go with money gram their fees are lower but i dont think you can do it online - a letter of credit/escrow to make sure you get your goods - i use western union/ money gram with my suppliers that offer paypal but are trying to escape the paypal fees - i build a relation with them so we trust each other - ok there are lots of drop ship sites that offer cc payments too or the supplier them selves offer it and you can ask your supplier for "paypal like" account payments too
Old 01-16-2009

Longevity: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking View Post
1) The EBay Feedback system now only allows Sellers to leave POSITIVE for Buyers. On the other hand, Buyers can leave any kind of feedback they want for Sellers. This means that if you have a problem with a Buyer (gee - that never happens, right?) you are pretty much out of luck! So, if the Buyer feels that he should have received his widget in 3 working days - even though you clearly state that it takes no less than 10 working days for the widget to ship - he can give you a negative! And you are pretty much powerless since there is no arbitration system in place.
I wonder what eBay would be like if they did away with positives for buyers, too, since they don't matter, and made it so sellers could only leave negatives for buyers.

I think that would be awesome!

No more buyers bothering with whether sellers leave them feedback first.
If a buyer is bad, their feedback drops.
If a buyer sells on one account and then makes a buyer account to be abusive and hurts too many sellers, they get -4 feedback and poof their seller account is banned too.

Crazy idea, yeah I know, but the way eBay is now it'd be an improvement. And very entertaining!