Problems with Etsy - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 12-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 53%
Default Problems with Etsy

So...

I sell on eBay and I'm pretty good at it- I run multiple stealth accounts and haven't had any issues just yet. The reason why I'm forced to sell using stealth accounts is because when I first started I wasn't aware of how the defect rates works and I didn't take it seriously at all- I had not been a professional seller online ever before so I thought the 5% limit was more like a guideline and nothing serious. Well, I was wrong. I was suspended and now I know a LOT more than I did before and I'm actually more successful than I was before because I know my own weak areas of business and mostly I have eliminated them.

Why am I talking about eBay in Etsy subforum?
Well its because I know nothing about Etsy but my other half wants to sell her handmade items online(Seeing how successful I am with eBay) and instead of eBay, her product would fit very well into Etsy marketplace.

The same way I was removed from eBay because I didn't know certain dangers I'm sure there are reasons why people get suspended from Etsy- Otherwise we wouldn't have a subforum for Etsy stealth.

I don't have ANY experience with Etsy and I thought I'd talk to you people, who are much more experienced in the marketplace as to what should I look out for and what are the critical areas- Basically what would cause her Etsy store to be closed and her account suspended.

Is it the product that can get you suspended, shipping times, description, quality of an item, high shipping charges, stock images, pink font, bold titles, animals in listing photos... You can, anything basically.

Whats the reason why you are all here and doing this with stealth basically? The same way I'm running eBay Stealth because my item descriptions were not accurate enough and in the end it caused my account go over 5% DSR, surely there must've been something that forced Etsy to remove your original accounts from the marketplace.

ANY info, tips and stories are much appreciated because she is just starting out and I will help her to set the shop up- We are not in a rush and its more of a hobby thing and family business type of venture, not "get rich quick" scheme.

I want to be in this for the long run, not for 4 months.

Thanks and I appreciate it greatly,
H
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%
Default Re: Problems with Etsy

Trying to sell commercial or wholesale products that are not handmade are the biggest reasons for anyone to get suspended.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
novemberrain1970 (12-07-2015)
Old 12-05-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Does Etsy have something similar to DSR or shipping times "rating" system that can be abused by buyers who are a bit tarded?
Old 12-06-2015
Executive [VIP]

No. But, you can leave really long replies to any customer feedback, good or bad. It comes in handy when people try to slander you or make up nonsense because they are an idiot who doesn't even understand what they purchased. You can write a nice, long response to discredit all the morons who don't deserve to be anywhere close to the internet.
ovidiu (12-11-2015)
Old 12-07-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Sounds like as long as you make it yourself and its good quality, you can't really get suspended on Etsy then?

I'll see if its worth the trouble- Most likely if I say that its not worth the trouble, she will kill me, or suspend me from life in general.
Old 12-07-2015
Executive [VIP]

It's a great place to sell as long as you understand the rules up front. The biggest problem has been the flood of people in the past year or so selling bullsh*t like cell phone cases en masse from China and claiming they "handmade" it. Don't get into those kind of schemes and you will enjoy selling there. Just know that, if you are suspended, they will ask for all kinds of crazy "proof of your business operations" including photos, etc. Even more over the top than EB and PP. And I have yet to speak to anyone who has recovered from that kind of suspension.

Only stuff I have been warned about from Et.sy staff was using brand "likeness" in my titles, descriptions, etc. Obviously that stuff places you much higher in Google Shopping, but they will eventually find you and warn you of suspension for repeat offences.
ovidiu (12-11-2015)
Old 12-08-2015
MU

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
It's a great place to sell as long as you understand the rules up front. The biggest problem has been the flood of people in the past year or so selling bullsh*t like cell phone cases en masse from China and claiming they "handmade" it. Don't get into those kind of schemes and you will enjoy selling there. Just know that, if you are suspended, they will ask for all kinds of crazy "proof of your business operations" including photos, etc. Even more over the top than EB and PP. And I have yet to speak to anyone who has recovered from that kind of suspension.

Only stuff I have been warned about from Et.sy staff was using brand "likeness" in my titles, descriptions, etc. Obviously that stuff places you much higher in Google Shopping, but they will eventually find you and warn you of suspension for repeat offences.
I've managed to do it a dozen times. Just get creative and move your stuff around the house/work place/whatever and take photos differently. The website is ran by schmucks so if you do stuff just good enough it usually works. I've failed 3 times on the photo thing but it was my fault not taking distance photos.
Old 12-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

I'm surprised. "Patrick", the person who responds to all suspension emails, has told me to go f*ck myself numerous times.
Old 12-09-2015
MU

Quote:
I'm surprised. "Patrick", the person who responds to all suspension emails, has told me to go f*ck myself numerous times.
I never get a Patrick. I almost always get a woman named Stephanie. I got a Bob once. Maybe it's the categories we sell in?
Old 12-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
I never get a Patrick. I almost always get a woman named Stephanie. I got a Bob once. Maybe it's the categories we sell in?
It's either that or the type of suspension. It's literally been that guy every single time.
Old 12-09-2015

Longevity: 48%

In my case, it has been always Lindsay.
Old 12-09-2015

It's always been Caitlyn for me
Old 12-09-2015

Longevity: 57%

I suspect it's all one mailbox and they all just use whatever alias is the one that is up for that day. :D
The Following User Says Thank You to novemberrain1970 For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberrain1970 View Post
I suspect it's all one mailbox and they all just use whatever alias is the one that is up for that day. :D
Probably. They never read anything you send and it's usually form letters sent from them. The damage they do to legit sellers is horrible. I tell everyone to get their own .com businesses going on the side because you never know when the plug is gonna be pulled permanently. Like the recent change of SSN requirements and all the new work arounds. It's all doable but for the average person it's too much effort or they aren't knowledgable. The day etsy closes their web doors at the hands of amazon handmade will be a great day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:
chicagoIL (01-31-2016), novemberrain1970 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015

Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
Probably. They never read anything you send and it's usually form letters sent from them. The damage they do to legit sellers is horrible. I tell everyone to get their own .com businesses going on the side because you never know when the plug is gonna be pulled permanently. Like the recent change of SSN requirements and all the new work arounds. It's all doable but for the average person it's too much effort or they aren't knowledgable. The day etsy closes their web doors at the hands of amazon handmade will be a great day.
Agreed. I can't wait til that happens. To say that I loathe them is an understatement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to novemberrain1970 For This Useful Post:
Gladiator (12-11-2015), ovidiu (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberrain1970 View Post
Agreed. I can't wait til that happens. To say that I loathe them is an understatement.
Looks like they are being sued by a couple of sellers and their own stockholders now. I also read over on ecommercebytes where they missed paying Canada Post the shipping fees they charged sellers and a bunch of packages got denied at the border. Such a joke of a company. eBay isn't even that stupid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:
novemberrain1970 (12-11-2015), ovidiu (12-11-2015)
Old 01-12-2016

Longevity: 47%

Gladiator, I very new to this site, but your statements are right on! The average person like myself, all this is way to confusing. I bow down to all of you with the knowledge! I've worked very hard over the last 4 months and still have many questions, even after hours of reading post here. You guys/gals are awesome!
Old 01-13-2016
MU

Let me tell you.
I have 12 shops running on etsy.
You must apply everything that you see on eBay Stealth, And sure you can find good products to sell on etsy, Just search and you will find good wooden products to sale on etsy with high profits, At this point i have my own wooden shop with 14 workers. and let me tell you Etsy can be more profitable than ebay. Its all about finding a good Niche.

Sorry my english is not good
My main is spanish.
Old 01-17-2016

Quote:

Hi there, I believe I have read all your posts and you seem to be the most in touch with Et.sy and their abilities to spot a stealth account. If you would be so kind, I need to to stealth with et.sy, (homemaker, need extra money, shop closed due to another shop envy, family really relies on xtra money). Can I open a DBA Business Account with bank or will my real name get transmitted, since the statements read RealName DBA Company name....or does Et.sy even get this information or as long as the Business Name matches? Your invaluable help is truly appreciated! Gamble
Old 01-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

I will never sell on etsy under my own name again. I will use a stealth account.
They suspended my account twice for no apparent reason. I could never get an answer from any customer service member. You can't talk to anyone in Trust and Safety. Only the general customer service. I got my account reinstated the first time by calling and providing all kinds of documentation about my sales and that I in fact do make my items. The second time was totally unfair and they didn't do anything to protect me as a seller. I had a buyer who purchased 2 items, 3 weeks apart. She assumed they would both be delivered together and assumed it would be on the time frame for the first item. She filed an item not received case through paypal and etsy, and etsy supported her. She filed this a week ahead of the first delivery date. Etsy said it was close enough to the due date that they would let it stand. She got both items, early, and still left negative reviews for me. They wouldn't re-open my store, contacted all my current buyers and asked them if they received their items. All this when I was totally within my store policies and etsy policy. I kept messaging, asking about reinstating my account and the only answer I get is if I pay my bill $129, they will consider removing the suspension. I gave up. I got a shopify store and continue to sell on ebay. The only bad part is I made a lot of money on etsy and it's been a huge hit to my income. My items are pretty specialized, I am not sure I can get away with a second store without being spotted.

just google 'etsy account suspended' and read all the nightmare stories
Old 01-24-2016

Longevity: 49%

Etsy has tonnes of infringers. As long as you don't sell items that are going to be caught in a huge sweep you will be fine. I think they are trying to force people to use their direct checkout which once you opt into you can't really opt out of. The glitches that happen are just swept under the rug. And direct checkout is scary because they hold all your money. Then they say it takes 3-5 days for it be deposited but sometimes it just never shows up and have fun getting ahold of customer service.