PayPal Business Account - By EIN (PayPal acct w/ SSN perm limited) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 01-16-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default PayPal Business Account - By EIN (PayPal acct w/ SSN perm limited)

Hello

I spoke to representative of sales for PayPal and they said to many times that a PayPal Business account won't require a SSN in the future. My last PayPal account tied to my SSN was limited and closed down. Would it be possible to start selling under a EIN instead? I'm concerned that if they ever do a future verification to verify I'm not a previously suspended user, should I be getting a postal address and changing my credit card address to that address? I've read the eBay stealth guide but EIN is not addressed in it.

Thanks for your time
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-24-2011

Longevity: 76%

I am in the same situation. According to the new IRS tax laws I think they have to support accept and EIN.
Old 01-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

EIN can be used for paypal.

It has been reported that SSN have sometimes been requested.

Correct preparation often avoids the dilema
rambling (07-03-2011)
Old 06-26-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 74%

what correct preparation? I am also thinking of getting an llc and ein. can you tell me how this is going for you? I also wonder if paypal can still link me through an ein.
Old 06-27-2011

Longevity: 74%

I'd also like to know if only having a EIN instead of providing a SSN would save your a$$ from getting a closed account? At present I use a stealth PayPal/eBay account but I plan on moving next year to another state. I'm planning on setting up a small business maybe LLC or INC.

not sure yet but if I were to setup a new PayPal/eBay account and provide my EIN number wouldn't that be the same has PayPal having record of my SSN? Once you hit the $20,000 or 200 transaction mark you could have your EIN on file already to avoid PayPal from wanting or obtaining the SSN? Unless they want to pull a credit report? Anyway, what's the deal with that?

I've heard mixed review but some say this method works and PayPal doesn't go for the SSN since they have your EIN on record. With me moving into another state far away I'll get a second chance to restart freash with PayPal/eBay. Also, let's not forget that eBay/PayPal can look up public records/Account linking has they can find out who you are so I do not know if even an EIN is going to save ones a$$ from the frying pan even in another state with an entirely new IP, Address, Phone and Driver's license/ID

What are the hard facts here and how can we know and educate each other on what to look out for in PayPal's house of pain with EIN vs SSN vs PayPal the rest is history???

Last edited by 3dfuzion; 06-27-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2011

Longevity: 75%

It's all about risk. PP will check you out if you're deemed high risk. They're not stupid, they know criminals can hide behind corporate veils. They also know you can get a new DL. But just try to get a new SSN.

Bottom line, don't do what you did the first time you got booted.
Old 06-28-2011

I came back by getting an EIN. I also registered as a legit business with state and everything else. I think that the EIN is probably the preffered way to go if you plan on beign around for a long time. I started out my accoutn slow in januarary and have been working my rating and feedback up month by month. I think that EIN is probably best consdiering you plan on going over 20k IRS threshold if you are getting one.
Old 06-30-2011

makaveliagain - I just opened up the same way you did it, any tips on how to build everything up slowly? I am in the cell phone/accessory business and I was thinking of just buying random things at first and then after a few weeks start selling 5$ items and move my way up to 80-90$ after another few weeks.

What do you think?

EIN is the way to go guys, just open up a eBay business account (dont upgrade, just open a new business account) and then open up a paypal account. Start slow.
Old 07-01-2011

I listed like used jeans and used DVDs, CDs and some other stuff just to auction off at .99 cents and build feedback. All random stuff from the home for the first few weeks until i got like 20 feedback. Then I slowly started sprinkling in some things here and there for auction. I didn't even attempt Fixed price until I had like 60-70 feedbacks. Selling items under $5 prolly won't be a problem after a month or so. Just make sure you don't go crazy and sell to much because eBay and Paypal have some risk assesment crap based on previous sales and feedback and all kinds of stuff. Really have to be careful like always.
The Following User Says Thank You to makaveliagain For This Useful Post:
rondellrandall (01-29-2017)
Old 07-01-2011

I disagree with starting slow. When I get a new account, I list what I would use sell on that particular account. If eB is going to have a problem with it, I want to know right away, before they have a chance to hold too much of my money.

In June, I started 2 accounts. Sold 1 item at a time @ ~$200 with BIN. Used PP to print labels, cashed out the same day. Once I have the cash in hand, rinse and repeat. Each account cleared ~$2K last month, without a peep from eB.

I also consider not getting a selling account with the 100/5k limit a failure. If I get the 10/2k limit, I move on. I'll even close the accounts so I can tell them to f-ckoff in the survey.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stillselling For This Useful Post:
Brainbuster (03-11-2015), dicsolovag (01-30-2016), KingRay (07-06-2011), progetter92 (11-18-2014), serenityseeker (03-08-2014), unkown5454 (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillselling View Post
I disagree with starting slow. When I get a new account, I list what I would use sell on that particular account. If eB is going to have a problem with it, I want to know right away, before they have a chance to hold too much of my money.

In June, I started 2 accounts. Sold 1 item at a time @ ~$200 with BIN. Used PP to print labels, cashed out the same day. Once I have the cash in hand, rinse and repeat. Each account cleared ~$2K last month, without a peep from eB.

I also consider not getting a selling account with the 100/5k limit a failure. If I get the 10/2k limit, I move on. I'll even close the accounts so I can tell them to f-ckoff in the survey.
This is how it's done.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
serenityseeker (03-08-2014)
Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
They're not stupid, they know criminals can hide behind corporate veils.

Bottom line, don't do what you did the first time you got booted.
It's not only criminals who hide behind corporate veils - naughty grannies do too LOL. .:D
Old 07-01-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveliagain View Post
I am in the same situation. According to the new IRS tax laws I think they have to support accept and EIN.
The EIN can be used if you reg a business,if there is a problem they have been known to ask for whatever they want so procede with caution.
Old 07-03-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 84%

paypal asked for my ss # 5 days ago. How long can I stall? Can I get
EIN (as quickly as possible) and give them that. I would need to change the
account to business account in the midst of them asking for my SS#.
Old 07-04-2011

at 20k you have to provided your SSN or EIN. The EIN takes about five-ten minutes if you go through the IRS website.
Old 07-04-2011

Quote:

Did you have to go o the trouble of filing for an EIN and registering with the IRS? If you are making stealth accounts with phony name, address, etc. that is one thing but if you have registered with your state, the feds and want to go legit without paypal shutting down and have to deal with that whole mess I suggest playing their game and starting slow.
The Following User Says Thank You to makaveliagain For This Useful Post:
serenityseeker (03-08-2014)
Old 07-04-2011

Longevity: 77%

Quote:

I agree with this. I've got a 70 day old account with a feedback rating of 9 and I've been selling expensive mobile phones. We are stealth users but PP and eB do not know this so treat it as you would a normal account.

Hell, I even contacted eB and PP both asking whether everything was OK with my accounts! I'd rather know straight away where my accounts stand.
Old 07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveliagain View Post
Did you have to go o the trouble of filing for an EIN and registering with the IRS? If you are making stealth accounts with phony name, address, etc. that is one thing but if you have registered with your state, the feds and want to go legit without paypal shutting down and have to deal with that whole mess I suggest playing their game and starting slow.
You're confusing business entities, filing requirements and mandatory reporting.

Why would you volunteer your EIN to PP before they ask? If you think PP would take it easy on you because you have an EIN, you're setting yourself up for a big suprise.

Anyhoo, good luck everyone. This will be my last post. I was told by a mod not to point out obvious illegal activities on the forum, so I'm out.
Old 01-29-2016

Longevity: 47%
Default Re: PayPal Business Account - By EIN (PayPal acct w/ SSN perm limited)

I created a business PP account, but they're asking for my personal SSN, any advice?
Old 01-30-2016

Longevity: 73%

I have the same problem...need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davej View Post
I created a business PP account, but they're asking for my personal SSN, any advice?
Old 01-30-2016

Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davej View Post
From what I've read, it looks like PP is now asking for the SSN or the last 4 digits of the SSN if you try to open a business account early... some have reported that they've used the last 4 digits of their EIN and it was accepted.

I think the current method to avoid this is waiting a few months after you open it and have some sales history on it, then convert it to a business and attach EIN... I haven't gotten to that point on any of my newer accounts so I can't say 100%.
Old 01-30-2016

Longevity: 78%

Quote:

I've tried this before too. Got mixed results with this fast pace selling method. I think this may depend on what you are selling. Some of my accounts were ok some got shut down because of it. Sometimes paypal went down sometiems eb went down. Also, did you not have holds on your acc? You said you cashed out the same day.