Etsy 2nd account failed.. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 03-16-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 49%
Default Etsy 2nd account failed..

(Posted this on an on going forum but posting it again to hopefully get help).

I just tried to open a new etsy account (keep in mind I've never been banned but just wanted a second account). But it wouldn't allow me to. Heres the steps I took:

-Just got a new computer so no past sign ins on etsy.
-Got a dongle for new IP address
-New phone number
-New bank card

Everything was fine then I got to the 'set up how you want to receive your payments' page. I entered my new bank card sort code and account number. It also asks for the name on the card so I entered the name which is just my first initial and last name. That got accepted and was fine.

Then on the same page it asks for your address, so as someone suggested to me I checked for local houses for sale (I found a really old house that looked like it had been on the market for a while). I entered the address of that house. Entered a new name and new phone number.

I then got a message when I clicked confirm saying 'We are having trouble confirming your identity. I changed the name slightly - same again. After a few tries it went to new page and asked me to upload by ID as they were having trouble identifying me.

What would be the cause of this? Is it because the name on my card is different from the name I was trying to sign up with? So how do you get passed this then?
The Following User Says Thank You to HAHlala For This Useful Post:
entohouse (03-27-2016)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-17-2016

Longevity: 51%
Default Re: Etsy 2nd account failed..

Hi again HAHlala

this is normal, they can't find evidence of the name you have given at the address you have given, so they ask for ID. If you pass the ID step it is fine
The Following User Says Thank You to zenohki For This Useful Post:
spindoctor (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenohki View Post
Hi again HAHlala

this is normal, they can't find evidence of the name you have given at the address you have given, so they ask for ID. If you pass the ID step it is fine

Bang on the money...
Old 03-17-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Hi again HAHlala

I thought that, well I don't have ID for that name or address as I just made up the name.

Is there any alternatives to this?
Old 03-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAHlala View Post
I thought that, well I don't have ID for that name or address as I just made up the name.

Is there any alternatives to this?
As mentioned before, get an ID. Or next time use the ID of a friend or family member. I would not suggest trying a different name and address on the current stealth.
Old 03-17-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
As mentioned before, get an ID. Or next time use the ID of a friend or family member. I would not suggest trying a different name and address on the current stealth.
If I use the ID of a family member I take it I have to use their address also?

Do you know how much the ID's are? and do they always work?
Old 03-18-2016

I don't know the cost, but I do know they have a disclaimer to say they are not guaranteed to work, I think they work about 80-90% of the time. It's a gamble just like the rest of the stealth program

as for addresses, yes they would probably link it back, you would need a family member that you have not shared an address with during the time of your other accounts. Also don't use an address that is too far away in case they get suspicious, if they see your IP belongs to place and your address is listed as across the other side of the country they are going to be keeping an eye on you.
Old 03-18-2016
Threadstarter  

I haven't been banned from etsy though I just want a 2nd account. My first account is doing really well but I just want another to sell different things.

So the only options on etsy are getting a made up ID made or using a family members with a different address to you? So it seems much harder than eBay.
Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
I haven't been banned from etsy though I just want a 2nd account. My first account is doing really well but I just want another to sell different things.

So the only options on etsy are getting a made up ID made or using a family members with a different address to you? So it seems much harder than eBay.
If you wanted a second account unlinked on the bay you would actually need extra steps, I've found E--y is easier, but I found the ID part quite easy to handle.

On the bay you would need a new PP which also required the new ID exactly as E--y does, its just that E--y has cut out PP as a middleman.
Old 03-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
If you wanted a second account unlinked on the bay you would actually need extra steps, I've found E--y is easier, but I found the ID part quite easy to handle.

On the bay you would need a new PP which also required the new ID exactly as E--y does, its just that E--y has cut out PP as a middleman.
I always see a number of sellers on etsy who sell similar items spread across 3-4 different accounts and its usually easy to tell they are the same seller. Some of them are selling thousands a month. I wish I could ask them how they are doing it without etsy catching on.

If I was to make my 2nd account using the same address and my own name but different details like new bank card, different computer, new IP would etsy catch me out for having 2 accounts? I know they allow it as long as you sell other items but do they suspend you if you don't disclaim it to them?
I was planning to just make the 2nd account with real details and if it was to get suspension warnings then I would just stop selling on it or close it and start another? But I don't know if etsy are known for just shutting you down with no warning and I don't want to lose both accounts.

It just seems having to make up IDs and using other peoples addresses seems a bit wrong to me and I would prefer not to do that unless I really need to.
Old 03-18-2016

Longevity: 47%

ID seems to be the way forward with any account, in the UK with E*BAY you need to get past the EU money laundering limit of 2200 euros, this can only be done with ID verification. As UK banks account can not be opened left right and centre as there is no such thing as a UK VBA, having 30 stealth account isn't realistic? unless i'm missing something.

In the US they can get up to around the 20k mark a year without having to provide a true and rea*l SSN, which makes it easier just to have stealth account link to VBA.

And for e*tsy it seems they will ask for ID at some point regardless, so best to get it out the way early so you know your account will be solid later on.. why put effort into something which may just get such down later on. ID's seem to be the way forward.. any one with knowledge on these and where to get them please respond.

I'm hoping someone with more experience in opening UK etsy accounts would post more info on the full process of opening an account.

1. ID (name and DOB) and Address details, how to make these up so they hopefully pass verification.

2. Bank Details, do these have to match the above details or can the bank be in any name?

Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
I always see a number of sellers on etsy who sell similar items spread across 3-4 different accounts and its usually easy to tell they are the same seller. Some of them are selling thousands a month. I wish I could ask them how they are doing it without etsy catching on.

If I was to make my 2nd account using the same address and my own name but different details like new bank card, different computer, new IP would etsy catch me out for having 2 accounts? I know they allow it as long as you sell other items but do they suspend you if you don't disclaim it to them?
I was planning to just make the 2nd account with real details and if it was to get suspension warnings then I would just stop selling on it or close it and start another? But I don't know if etsy are known for just shutting you down with no warning and I don't want to lose both accounts.

It just seems having to make up IDs and using other peoples addresses seems a bit wrong to me and I would prefer not to do that unless I really need to.
I'm not sure if I read this correctly (have to forgive me I'm trying to work and read at the same time)

You want as little information linking the two as possible, they keep old details on file if you change any info. New ID is a must.

I understand you may feel a bit weird about the ID part, but it is essential. If you don't want to do it you have to give up here. Or at least I see no other way of doing it. Don't risk your current account with using similar details though. You could end up with nothing.
Old 03-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Yeah well I was just going to make my 2nd account and hope that I would never get banned on either. But maybe getting an ID is the way forward, I have never seen anyone post about that before though. Is it illegal to provide false identity?

But I still don't understand this part:
etsy ask you to add a bank account to receive your direct checkout payments when you create your account. So I enter my bank account details which obviously has my real name but then it asks for your name and address (mtproducts posted photos of this step above). But surely if you then enter a different name than what you entered as your 'name on bank account' that will not allow you to create the account? I thought they check your identity by checking if your bank account is registered to the address you signed up with?

Or am I completely wrong?
Old 03-18-2016

Longevity: 55%

All of this really makes a stronger case for all of us to just set up our own websites. Etsy has been good to me in terms of sales and making money, but to have your livelihood taken away at the snap of a finger is scary and I was in that boat a couple of years ago until I found this great forum. I plan on purchasing SFB and setting up my site ASAP. I will stay on Etsy as long as I can, but hopefully it will supplement my income and my bread and butter will come from my site.
The Following User Says Thank You to dcbshowstopper For This Useful Post:
TheMatrix (04-01-2016)
Old 03-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbshowstopper View Post
All of this really makes a stronger case for all of us to just set up our own websites. Etsy has been good to me in terms of sales and making money, but to have your livelihood taken away at the snap of a finger is scary and I was in that boat a couple of years ago until I found this great forum. I plan on purchasing SFB and setting up my site ASAP. I will stay on Etsy as long as I can, but hopefully it will supplement my income and my bread and butter will come from my site.
Its very difficult to grow a websites traffic though, a lot of the time you won't get anywhere near the sane amount of traffic eBay/etsy. But it can be done, I became lucky when I created my website 4 years ago and it got a quite popular online with a huge following/celeb following which grew the customer base a lot. But since then it has died down slightly and I have started selling on etsy also and sometimes on eBay. But your right nothing beats selling on your own website with absolutely no worries or having to stress about someone taking it away from you.
Old 03-18-2016

Right, it's a lot of work but you gotta do what you gotta do. Having all of our eggs in the Etsy/Amazon/eBay basket without having a website to call back on is suicide. I have been letting the daunting elements of running my own site hold me back, but not anymore. Hell, other people have done it, why can't I? Stay has me on pins and needles everyday. I log into my email just to make sure I haven't received any bad news from them and I'm sick of living like that. I can't even enjoy my success there because I fear they will come and yank it away.
The Following User Says Thank You to dcbshowstopper For This Useful Post:
TheMatrix (04-01-2016)
Old 03-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Right, it's a lot of work but you gotta do what you gotta do. Having all of our eggs in the Etsy/Amazon/eBay basket without having a website to call back on is suicide. I have been letting the daunting elements of running my own site hold me back, but not anymore. Hell, other people have done it, why can't I? Stay has me on pins and needles everyday. I log into my email just to make sure I haven't received any bad news from them and I'm sick of living like that. I can't even enjoy my success there because I fear they will come and yank it away.
I understand that completely, felt the same for many years. You should definitely make your own website, nothing to lose. The best part is no fees!
Old 03-18-2016

Longevity: 47%

I'm with HAHlala on this one, i also have my own website yet the traffic you and get from etsy, ebay, amazon, is crazy.. they are all established marketplaces, where everyone is looking to spend money. Having a website is alot of work to start but even harder to grow, sometime you can get lucky but really I'm here to keep going with Etsy, ebay and amazon, and hopefully have a couple of accounts with each so if one goes down it's not the end of the world, dcbshowstopper if you need any help with where to start with servers and website give me a shout, on the PM, i'll be able to get back to you at shortly.

Hope we'll both get some info on this over the weekend.

Quote:
But I still don't understand this part:
etsy ask you to add a bank account to receive your direct checkout payments when you create your account. So I enter my bank account details which obviously has my real name but then it asks for your name and address (mtproducts posted photos of this step above). But surely if you then enter a different name than what you entered as your 'name on bank account' that will not allow you to create the account? I thought they check your identity by checking if your bank account is registered to the address you signed up with?

Or am I completely wrong?
Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtproducts View Post
I'm with HAHlala on this one, i also have my own website yet the traffic you and get from etsy, ebay, amazon, is crazy.. they are all established marketplaces, where everyone is looking to spend money. Having a website is alot of work to start but even harder to grow, sometime you can get lucky but really I'm here to keep going with Etsy, ebay and amazon, and hopefully have a couple of accounts with each so if one goes down it's not the end of the world, dcbshowstopper if you need any help with where to start with servers and website give me a shout, on the PM, i'll be able to get back to you at shortly.

Hope we'll both get some info on this over the weekend.
Thanks, I will certainly reach out to you. I plan on buying Aspkin's Six Figure Boss e-book as I have heard excellent things. I haven't heard about one person who read and applied everything in it but did not have good to great results. I do plan on staying on Etsy as it has been very good to me over the years, but I am determined to have my own site up and running on its own. I'm going to try out Amazon Handmade as well so I can have another income stream. I tried ebay a couple of years ago and I was doing really well with it until they hit me with those stupid limits. I may return and just tough it out, though.

On a side note, I went about 10 months or so without coming to this site and checking in and I am regretting it because I would have known that Etsy was making us go with DC if we open new accounts. Had I known that, I would have had at least 5 more made and ready to go. I'm really glad that I deactivated my items from my second store instead of shutting it down completely, so I will just reopen that store with the new items that I plan on selling. With that store, I received about 3 hits for infringement so I have about one or two more times before they shut me down. Luckily I won't be selling anything that infringes on anyone's property so I should be good there but you never know.
Old 03-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
On a side note, I went about 10 months or so without coming to this site and checking in and I am regretting it because I would have known that Etsy was making us go with DC if we open new accounts. Had I known that, I would have had at least 5 more made and ready to go. I'm really glad that I deactivated my items from my second store instead of shutting it down completely, so I will just reopen that store with the new items that I plan on selling. With that store, I received about 3 hits for infringement so I have about one or two more times before they shut me down. Luckily I won't be selling anything that infringes on anyone's property so I should be good there but you never know.
Can I ask for your 2nd store do you have completely different details? Or do you run both etsy accounts with similar/same details? I'm in that position now wanting to open a 2nd one but it seems more difficult now with DC and them checking your details.

Oh and for websites I recommend shopify. I have been using shopify for around 3 years now and they really are great but it will depend what you are looking for.
Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
Can I ask for your 2nd store do you have completely different details? Or do you run both etsy accounts with similar/same details? I'm in that position now wanting to open a 2nd one but it seems more difficult now with DC and them checking your details.

Oh and for websites I recommend shopify. I have been using shopify for around 3 years now and they really are great but it will depend what you are looking for.
Yep, I have completely different details for both store. Both are stealth accounts, but I opened them back when E**y didn't force U.S. sellers to open a DC. I'm in the same boat as you as I too am trying to figure out how to open another account but include DC.

I think I am going to give shopify as well. How is your stand alone website working out for you? I was hesitant because of all the work I would have to put in my own site but it is absolutely necessary if I want to grow and not rely solely on the E**y train.
Old 03-19-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Yep, I have completely different details for both store. Both are stealth accounts, but I opened them back when E**y didn't force U.S. sellers to open a DC. I'm in the same boat as you as I too am trying to figure out how to open another account but include DC.

I think I am going to give shopify as well. How is your stand alone website working out for you? I was hesitant because of all the work I would have to put in my own site but it is absolutely necessary if I want to grow and not rely solely on the E**y train.
My website is my main source of income and has been my full time job for almost 4 years but my company does have quite a large online following on instagram,twitter,Facebook etc (100,000+ followers). Its a clothing website. I've literally never paid for any advertising or marketing before so if you are planning on doing that and you know how to do that then you will definitely get some sales.

You shouldn't be hesitant, especially with shopify because it is so easy to set up and it has loads off built in apps for everything you can think of to make it easier for you to become successful. Also you get 30 days free so your not wasting money if it doesn't turn out to be good. I think when I initially build my website years ago I had it up and running within 24 hours.