PayPal asking for SSN on business account - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 03-16-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 73%
Default PayPal asking for SSN on business account

My PP account has been opened since 2012. Today my PP account went negative (ugh) which has never happened before. I always keep a cushion in the account but had two international INR cases opened today. PP is now asking for SSN, proof of address and photo ID. Several years ago I provided an EIN and changed the PP account to a business account. I have called PP and they want my SSN which, of course, I cannot give on this @@@@ account. The PP rep said I can add money to the account via debit or credit card to cover the negative balance.

The only current restriction on the PP account is adding money from my bank account but I can:

What can I do while my account is limited?

send money
withdraw money from your account
receive or request money
update your account information
add or remove a card
add or remove a bank account
send refunds
use PayPal logos in your auction listings or on your website

How long will PP allow me to operate this account before suspending it for not providing requested info? Is this PP (and in turn, eB and BZ) account toast?

Thankfully I have several other @@@@ accounts waiting "in the wings" but this is my best and largest listing limit account.

TIA
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-16-2016
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%
Default Re: PayPal asking for SSN on business account

You probably have a couple weeks left..

That's a tough one.

They want the full SSN? Or just the last 4 digits?
Old 03-16-2016
Threadstarter  

Thanks for your prompt reply.

When I log in it asks for uploaded or faxed documentation/proof of my SSN. It reads, "Provide documentation that shows your Social Security number. Helpful documents include a copy of your Social Security card, a pay stub, or a government-issued document." The PP rep didn't say anything about needing only the last 4 digits so it appears they want the full number.
Old 03-16-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Since you have backup accounts, maybe consider using the services of a "document creator" as a last resort. Sadly I don't see any other option for you :(

This is a scary thought for sure...
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
Sooner (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Since you have backup accounts, maybe consider using the services of a "document creator" as a last resort. Sadly I don't see any other option for you :(

This is a scary thought for sure...
I thought about using a "document creator" if they only asked for verification of address and photo ID but the SSN is a completely different animal that sadly I don't think I can overcome. If I'm mistaken, PLEASE let me know. I'd love to save this account but ... :(
Old 03-16-2016

Longevity: 51%

Maybe try faxing / uploading a document that just shows your EIN again? It is just a thought and hasn't been tested to my knowledge, so may not be valid... but perhaps worth a try?
The Following User Says Thank You to EWHendo For This Useful Post:
Sooner (03-16-2016)
Old 03-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

^^ yeah, you can try the EIN thing and insist you don't use your SSN for anything because your SSN card say's it's illegal for companies to ask for your SSN.

I don't know if Paypal would try to validate your SSN in this situation. But I know when upgrading to a business account they definitely DON'T verify the SSN. You may be able to fool them by having someone create a phony SSN card with the name of your account on it.
Sooner (03-17-2016)
Old 03-18-2016

Longevity: 51%

if they ask for SSN, they will verify the number matches name etc. so you can't b/s that. and if you try than they will hold your money 6 months and ask for an actually valid info before they release.

you can call and explain it's a business and multiple people use it and offer esn.
Old 03-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdanielsbtch View Post
if they ask for SSN, they will verify the number matches name etc. so you can't b/s that. and if you try than they will hold your money 6 months and ask for an actually valid info before they release.

you can call and explain it's a business and multiple people use it and offer esn.
Has this happened to you before? I've never seen P/P validate an SSN, nor do I see how they would be able to. Social Security Administration doesn't really share info...
Sooner (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016
MU

Longevity: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
My PP account has been opened since 2012. Today my PP account went negative (ugh) which has never happened before. I always keep a cushion in the account but had two international INR cases opened today. PP is now asking for SSN, proof of address and photo ID. Several years ago I provided an EIN and changed the PP account to a business account. I have called PP and they want my SSN which, of course, I cannot give on this @@@@ account. The PP rep said I can add money to the account via debit or credit card to cover the negative balance.

The only current restriction on the PP account is adding money from my bank account but I can:

What can I do while my account is limited?

send money
withdraw money from your account
receive or request money
update your account information
add or remove a card
add or remove a bank account
send refunds
use PayPal logos in your auction listings or on your website

How long will PP allow me to operate this account before suspending it for not providing requested info? Is this PP (and in turn, eB and BZ) account toast?

Thankfully I have several other @@@@ accounts waiting "in the wings" but this is my best and largest listing limit account.

TIA

Your account is limit but you can send money and receive money thats great
how is this possible in the limitation period
can any one let me know this formula
Old 03-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Has this happened to you before?
This has never happened to me before and I hope it NEVER does again! Because this is a @@@@ account, the name on my checking account doesn't match the name on my PP account name and that's where the trouble started.

Quote:
I've never seen P/P validate an SSN, nor do I see how they would be able to. Social Security Administration doesn't really share info...
I believe the only way PP could verify a SSN is to run a credit report but since I'm not asking for a PP credit card or line of credit I don't believe they can "legally" run a credit report. Am I correct or is there some other way they could potentially verify the SSN?
Old 03-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdanielsbtch View Post
I called PP and asked why they needed my SSN when they have had my EIN for several years. I reiterated that this is a business account and there's a reason I keep my business life and personal life separate. The rep said the EIN wasn't "good enough" and to lift the restrictions I need to provide my SSN, photo ID and proof of address (utility bill, etc.).
Old 03-20-2016
Threadstarter  

Two more questions:

1. When creating alternative documents, do you use the name on your checking account (real name) as a middle name? Since PP has now seen my real name via my checking account, I'm not sure how to handle the difference in the name on my checking account and my @@@@ name.

2. When sending documents to PP, do you:

A. Upload documents after cleaning with Batch Purifier;
B. Fax via free online fax service;
C. Fax via local FedEx Office location?
Old 03-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

I've never been in a situation like this so my comments are purely speculative...

Personally I would assume they haven't seen your real name when making alternative docs. The billing department is probably separate from the ID verification department so there's no telling what the people you're talking to know about you. I think your chances would be better just using the name on the account rather than using a name that doesn't match the bank or the account.

I would email the documents from the email associated with the account, unless you have access to a fax line in the area code of your account. It would be suspicious for you to send a fax from another state..

Again, don't quote me on anything. I think your account is toast. :(

Good luck though.