Moving: Will It Be Enough To Fool EBay? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 02-21-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 87%
Exclamation Moving: Will It Be Enough To Fool EBay?

Hello all. I have been perusing the threads for hours (took a break for turkey meatloaf dinner, lol).

I don't think my question has been posted yet, so I'll inquire now (my apologies for the length; I'm trying to be thorough).

I am moving soon to a new state. This will be a chance to start over on eBay:

1. New city/state/address
2. New bank/credit card info
3. New computer (so new ISP, cookies, etc)
4. New PayPal account
(btw, my original PayPal account is still active (never even limited) and I use it for purchases daily & non-eBay related payments - lucky?)
5. The only thing that will be the same is my actual name.

a. If I move out-of-state and create a new eBay account using new everything except my name, what is the probability that the account will be suspended?

b. Is it a good/bad/foolish/okay idea to go that route; OR

c. If possible, is it preferable to use a variation of my real name, but for which I have no identification (seeing as I'll have to process paper payments with my bank & withdraw from said bank).

Using a DBA isn’t a good choice for me because:

a) my registered DBA was my latest stealth account handle (so eBay has flagged it as well as my real name)
b) changing my DBA is suicide -- my customers know me well by my real name and DBA -- I even have a website in development that I’ve invested a few thousand into to solidify my business
c) my DBA will also be tied to my primary business banking account (I will have a completely unassociated account for eBay)

Ebay is a good place to shepherd new customers to my website (especially in the website infancy stages) so I definitely want to be back on eBay. I also want to keep my real name to avoid any sense of impropriety if I have to deposit payments that are made out to a name for which I have no state ID (even if it is a variation of my birth name).

However, that may be an option:

I had a long hyphenated first name that caused lots of confusion, so I abbreviated my first name and legally used the abbreviated FIRST-MIDDLE-LAST.

For ex: presume my name was Michael-Christopher Stuart Smith. I became legally (so all my identification reads) Christopher S. Smith. What if I could register with eBay as Michael S. Smith (no longer my name legally, but on my birth certificate).

How could I even do that since I changed my name as soon as I became 18 and have absolutely no identification (other than birth certificate) to claim otherwise (I don’t want to go through the process of changing my name legally again - an arduous task, plus I like my name as it is now).

All comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

DC

Below is a synopsis of my suspension history (for those who think it‘s pertinent):

1. Original “buyer”/“seller” accounts suspended following policy violation mishaps.

2. First “stealth” account created with new financial info and primary street address, same PP account with new email … suspended about a year later (reason: linked) because I used blacklisted address in the “receive payments” field (doh!). [I believe it came to light after a buyer (scammer) complaint about item not received prompted ebay to review my account]

3. Second “stealth” account created with new financial info, new primary address in new city (used a friend’s place to set up “residence”), new Internet connection, new computer, same PP account with new email. Sat on account 6 months and started using it to sell dvds. Sold about 200 dvds in one month and then … suspended (linked again!).

I was perplexed - new city, address, bank and credit card info, new ISP. Then I realized: the suspension occurred right after I tried to connect my PayPal account. So I presume that’s the cause (but mind, I had linked my other stealth account too without detection thru PayPal -- just lucky?).
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-21-2009

Longevity: 94%

It is the paypal account that keeps linking you but I have to say you are one lucky mother to have went that long with the same paypal account. Everything you said is great. Trust me I would love to move but in this economy I can't sell my house.
I don't know much about business licenses but can you not have to DBA's I know it may be a pain in the butt during tax time. Could you not keep your DBA in your state now and use it for all your business info. Register another in the state you are moving to. and use that one only for paypal? I don't know I could be sounding like a complete fool right now. like I said I have no clue about business llc or Dba's or tax numbers.

All I know is my mother in law let me use hers on one of my paypal accounts instead of a ssn.
The Following User Says Thank You to siashay For This Useful Post:
dcwriter (02-21-2009)
Old 02-21-2009

Longevity: 93%

This is a true story, but the name have been changed to protect the innocent!
Old 02-21-2009
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Your name is fine, a lot of people share the same name and there is no way eBay/PayPal can link accounts in this way. If you can use a variation of your name, it would be even better.

But you have to stop using your old PayPal account.. it's linking you.

If you need to use it still for off eBay sales, do it on a second user account on your computer, and under a different IP Address.

Have you read eBay Stealth?
Old 02-21-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
Your name is fine, a lot of people share the same name and there is no way eBay/PayPal can link accounts in this way. If you can use a variation of your name, it would be even better.

But you have to stop using your old PayPal account.. it's linking you.

If you need to use it still for off eBay sales, do it on a second user account on your computer, and under a different IP Address.

Have you read eBay Stealth?
Yep, I thought it was the PP connection [not the name] after careful scrutinity, and believed it true moreso when I found this forum.

I have not read the book yet. I am downloading it today and will read it carefully this week. I think I have the gist of creating a new stealth account [did all of the things except that darn PP account] ... but it'll be a good reminder and guide as to how to stay on after I successfully give the slip to eBay's version of Big Brorther!

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by siashay View Post
It is the paypal account that keeps linking you but I have to say you are one lucky mother to have went that long with the same paypal account. Everything you said is great. Trust me I would love to move but in this economy I can't sell my house.
I don't know much about business licenses but can you not have to DBA's I know it may be a pain in the butt during tax time. Could you not keep your DBA in your state now and use it for all your business info. Register another in the state you are moving to. and use that one only for paypal? I don't know I could be sounding like a complete fool right now. like I said I have no clue about business llc or Dba's or tax numbers.

All I know is my mother in law let me use hers on one of my paypal accounts instead of a ssn.
Ha ha, yeah, I am lucky then! Whew! I'm actually keeping the same DBA; this is possible since I am registering the business in a different state and there is currently no DBA there under that name. I am going to file to close shop up here and be off. Sucks, if I hadn't linked the PP account I would have been free and clear without confusing my customers (again!). I'm soooo tempted to come up with a handle similar to my last one, but I won't ... sure that'll flag me in a New York minute as it goes.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMiles2564 View Post
This is a true story, but the name have been changed to protect the innocent!
Ha ha! I thought about that after the post was made with the names intact, lol!
Old 02-21-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

When you move interstate and get back to ebay, will you list the same items again? You will have to be careful of that part. Another concern is your comment about directing traffic to your website. Was that site on your old ebay account? Do you know about changing photos, description etc.
Old 02-22-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
When you move interstate and get back to ebay, will you list the same items again? You will have to be careful of that part. Another concern is your comment about directing traffic to your website. Was that site on your old ebay account? Do you know about changing photos, description etc.
Yes, I will sell the same type of items (dvds), but titles will be different from the last things I listed (I sell originals and have limited stock of each title).

Yes, each time I used a new template for auction designs and changed the wording, specifics (s/h, return policy, etc). I'll do that again, of course.

I actually never had an active website with my other eBay accounts, nor do I plan on actually hyper-linking the website. I'll simply direct new, trustworthy customers to the website via my personal email account.

I mainly was concerned with the name issue because other than that, I'll effectively look like any newbie seller (hopefully).

I read the Stealth Book last night. I'll read it again, and keep my eye on the forum in case hurdles come up -- better yet, to avoid the hurdles.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

OK: my recommendation is that B4 you actually create the account, run it past the forum again. Big move you have done so best to have it as foolproof as possible.
(btw, don't you hate packing furniture & stuff?)
dcwriter (02-22-2009)