Huge Direct Debit fail for Paypal/eBay - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 07-23-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 44%
Default Huge Direct Debit fail for Paypal/eBay

Hi people, I hope someone is out there that can help me...

In short I had a fairly big inheritance that was due 4 weeks ago, so saying that I went on to ebay and did some spending, £10.000 to be exact. The following few days after my goods came and I sert them up (all home cinema goods) so I decided to go to town and get a few bits as my solicitor stated the day on which my inheritance would be in my bank account.

So, I went out and found that the ATM would not allow me any money, I got a mini statement and holy cr@p I had a -£10.000 balance where Paypal had tried to get the money. I went to my bank and solicitor straight away and what happened was some paperwork had not gone through in time and I now have to wait up to 2 months for my inheritance and already I have had messages from ebay and paypal stating to pay them, which of course I can't, I tried to contact my sellers and ask if I could possibly return the items but they would not allow it as they have been opened (all new equipment) and now I am scared to death of what Paypal or eBay may do, like.... Debt collectors, balliffs coming to my home or even court action.

What can I do?

I think it's really bad they allow payments to go through when people do not have the funds in there bank account.
The Following User Says Thank You to SomeoneX1 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (07-24-2016)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-23-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 31%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Huge Direct Debit fail for Paypal/eBay

Really jumped the gun on that one. Its really not a good idea to spend money before you actually have it as you are learning.

It does seem very odd that the card company would let you go into £10,000 OD. Do you have a planned overdraft with them?

In the UK we have something called The Consumer Contracts Regulation. If you bought the items from a business then you have the right to return them within 14 days. If you bought these items 4 weeks ago then you really should have worked out how to return them a lot sooner than now. Did you not ask the solicitor what to do? They would have been able to tell you very easily
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
Charles A. Martin (07-19-2017)
Old 07-23-2016

Longevity: 55%

The solicitor would be able to let you have the money or enough of it to get you out of this situation, if this was genuine you would already be aware of that fact!
Old 07-23-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

What James said... If not possible, the items should be in pretty good condition, sell them on Gumtree, get most of your money back. Figure out how to cover the remaining balance owed.
Old 07-23-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieTosie View Post
The solicitor would be able to let you have the money or enough of it to get you out of this situation, if this was genuine you would already be aware of that fact!
Yes, but my solicitor is to be fair useless and I do not have a clue about legal matters.
Old 07-23-2016
Executive [VIP]

You may want a new solicitor then

Nearly anyone here can tell you about the old Distance Selling Laws and the new Consumer Contracts Regulation so any solicitor would be able to as well. its very very basic stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
Charles A. Martin (07-19-2017)
Old 07-23-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
Really jumped the gun on that one. Its really not a good idea to spend money before you actually have it as you are learning.

It does seem very odd that the card company would let you go into £10,000 OD. Do you have a planned overdraft with them?

In the UK we have something called The Consumer Contracts Regulation. If you bought the items from a business then you have the right to return them within 14 days. If you bought these items 4 weeks ago then you really should have worked out how to return them a lot sooner than now. Did you not ask the solicitor what to do? They would have been able to tell you very easily
Hi James, card payment? I paid through Paypal, from my bank account. I do not have any overdraft so I was baffled why it went through, my bank stated that the way Paypal works is that Paypal temporarily let the funds go through them and then they take the funds from your bank account within about 3 - 5 working days. Either way I am very much scre%%d!
Old 07-23-2016

Longevity: 45%

Wow I wish I had that privilege with my bank. I'd have have spent $100k lol.
Old 07-24-2016

Longevity: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneX1 View Post
Yes, but my solicitor is to be fair useless and I do not have a clue about legal matters.
It isn't a question of them useless they would have to offer this, they all do as soon as they become aware that you may be in difficulties by the money not coming through when it was expected to. You would be able to point that out to the solicitor as well and expect them to act on it.
Old 07-24-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Hi James, card payment? I paid through Paypal, from my bank account. I do not have any overdraft so I was baffled why it went through, my bank stated that the way Paypal works is that Paypal temporarily let the funds go through them and then they take the funds from your bank account within about 3 - 5 working days. Either way I am very much scre%%d!
You paid by echeck then

Most retailers wont sent items until the echeck clears so its a bit odd for them to send out £10k worth of items.

Have you actually talked to eBay about returning the items? Asking other people what to do isn't really going to resolve your issue. You need to take the initiative and talk to eBay about returning the items as that is really the only thing you can do in this case.
Old 07-24-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%

Heh, I call bull**** on the home cinema story/dead person money. Most likely you are -10k and spun it in a random story that wouldn't give away what really happened.

You went from 0 balance in the bank, to minus 10k? Pretty sure bank and PP would be calling you right away and checking what are you exactly doing.

So yeah, bull****.
Old 07-24-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidukken View Post
Heh, I call bull**** on the home cinema story/dead person money. Most likely you are -10k and spun it in a random story that wouldn't give away what really happened.

You went from 0 balance in the bank, to minus 10k? Pretty sure bank and PP would be calling you right away and checking what are you exactly doing.

So yeah, bull****.
WOW, angry enough?

I can't bloody help what happened through failiure of ebay and my crappy solicitor.

Sounds to me that you were stung by a ex wife possibly. I came on here for just to ask for helpful advice and lol look at you.
Old 07-24-2016
Threadstarter  

I called ebay and stated what happened 3 times with no joy, so I contacted my solicitor (have his private all hours number) and he did state that I have the right to send all equipment back for a full refund, no matter if I have used it for a few weeks. So, just spent a whole damn day packing everything back up ready to be sent back tomorrow.

Wont be using this forum again with angry users!
Old 07-24-2016
Banned

Longevity: 65%

why would seller ship out ten grand in merch before echeck clears....
Old 07-24-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

Quote:
You paid by echeck then

Most retailers wont sent items until the echeck clears so its a bit odd for them to send out £10k worth of items.

Have you actually talked to eBay about returning the items? Asking other people what to do isn't really going to resolve your issue. You need to take the initiative and talk to eBay about returning the items as that is really the only thing you can do in this case.
no some paypal accounts that have for example a natwest bank account and natwest card attached will allow a payment called 'instant bank transfer'

Which allows you to pay by bank payments, not VCC or echeque and payment is given to the seller immediately, but it takes 2-3 days for it to come off your bank account balance.

As long as the bank you are using accepts DD then this works, and this allows payment to come out the bank when it is available or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunneh For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieTosie View Post
This is true!

but this OP tried to scam paypal and now its come back to bite him
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunneh For This Useful Post:
RosieTosie (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I can't bloody help what happened through failiure of ebay and my crappy solicitor.
Lesson to learn is only spend money when you actually have it in your possession. It's not eBay, the eBay sellers or your solicitors fault that you spent the money before you had it.
Old 07-24-2016

I don't know about anyone else, but regardless of whether I intend to spend or not - when I expect £10,000 in inheritance money, I like to tap into my mobile banking app to glare at that sum of money for a few seconds...

*meh* maybe it's just a compulsion I have.
Old 07-24-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Lesson to learn is only spend money when you actually have it in your possession. It's not eBay, the eBay sellers or your solicitors fault that you spent the money before you had it.
funny how he was okay with 'borrowing' the money before he had it, and now he realises that the payment wont bounce back to paypal (so he can get free stuff) that it is ''really bad they allow payments to go through when people do not have the funds in there bank account. ''

Old 07-24-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunneh View Post
no some paypal accounts that have for example a natwest bank account and natwest card attached will allow a payment called 'instant bank transfer'

Which allows you to pay by bank payments, not VCC or echeque and payment is given to the seller immediately, but it takes 2-3 days for it to come off your bank account balance.

As long as the bank you are using accepts DD then this works, and this allows payment to come out the bank when it is available or not.
Thank you Bunneh, this is exactly what happened to me.

Just wish I had phoned my solicitor sooner rather than later then this could have all been avoided!

But I still have not got a reply from the seller on ebay when I sent a message to say I'm sending it all back.
Old 07-24-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunneh View Post
funny how he was okay with 'borrowing' the money before he had it, and now he realises that the payment wont bounce back to paypal (so he can get free stuff) that it is ''really bad they allow payments to go through when people do not have the funds in there bank account. ''

You can't prove ****, I'm disabled and can't leave the house even, all this equipment was going to be a life long thing for me almost to enjoy. I have in total £78.000 in at least 2 months time lol

Don't get why some here are jealous.

Already had my negative balance revoked as I proved I have uploaded the courier collection tomorrow, so, all come to an end.

To those helpful here thank you, but to those jealous and screwed in the head, a bigger thanks, as I'll still have £68.000 in 2 months time lol
Old 07-24-2016

Quote:
To those helpful here thank you, but to those jealous and screwed in the head, a bigger thanks, as I'll still have £68.000 in 2 months time lol
If everything you have said is genuinely true, take two cents of advice from me. Take the money you have and invest it in something more worthwhile than a cinema system. Don't invest all the money into one thing, it could backfire. If you don't take my advice, I fear you will have zilch left in your bank account by the end of the year. Its down to you how you wish to proceed. Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (07-25-2016)